What's new

Polishing Tips for Intricate Design?

I picked up this ABC Empire design razor from eBay. I'm fairly certain this is just a tarnished silver one and not the gunmetal one because the bottom of the ball end is very clearly silver.

I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for polishing up the intricate design on the handle. I'm planning on doing the trick with baking soda and aluminum foil for the head, but I don't want to do that with the handle because that would get rid of the patina in the recessed areas, which I'd really like to keep in order to offset the polish on the design.

Does anybody have any tips about how to do this? I tried searching but could find much, but if I've missed something, then please point me in the right direction.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Use TarnX.

Dip it, wait 5 seconds, rinse and dry.
Repeat a few times till it's clean.

The liquid gets into the tiny nooks and crannies.

Be prepared for the rotten sulfur smell, and don't leave it soaking in the stuff.

you could use a metal polish and a rag to keep on the top layer and not lose the nice patina lower down in the design

Phil - Is it possible to use the Tarn X without soaking the entire razor? I looked it up on the company's website and it appears so, but part of me is a little nervous because I don't want the liquid to get down into the nooks and crannies. If I were to just wet a paper towel or a rag with that stuff do you think it would stay out of the nooks and crannies? I want that patina to stay and only polish the portions of the design that sit higher. I want to do it this way so that the polished design will stand out more from the patina background.

mdunn - Is there any metal polish in particular that wouldn't be too harsh for an old razor like this?

Thanks guys.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil - Is it possible to use the Tarn X without soaking the entire razor? I looked it up on the company's website and it appears so, but part of me is a little nervous because I don't want the liquid to get down into the nooks and crannies. If I were to just wet a paper towel or a rag with that stuff do you think it would stay out of the nooks and crannies? I want that patina to stay and only polish the portions of the design that sit higher. I want to do it this way so that the polished design will stand out more from the patina background.

mdunn - Is there any metal polish in particular that wouldn't be too harsh for an old razor like this?

Thanks guys.

Nope, not possible. Or at least, unlikely. The TarnX is a water consistency chemical that removes the tarnish.
Your best bet would be to use a good quality polish made specifically for silver as mdunn suggests, with a rag tight on your finger, and a very small amount of polish on the tip, then just run it lightly over the raised areas.
I have used "Twinkle" before, it's pretty gentle - I used it on an old Silver Coffee set given to me and it worked wonders.

I use a baby's toothbrush, the finger cot type. They also make them for dogs.

They have a soft, textured portion and are usually made of silicone or a soft plastic/rubber. I've found that they work very well for cleaning textured handles (like on the Bostonian or the Tuckaway).

Picture below.

Congrats on the new Empire BrianDiPalma! You worked hard to get one and get one you did! :smile:

And Hoos, cool idea with the silicon toothbrush! I will give it a shot!

is it just me or is something funny with the razor? Looks odd where the handle meets the razor head.

I would use a silver polishing cloth it works magic.

Thanks all for the tips.

I did wonder about the handle as well. It is not perfectly cylindrical. It almost looks like pressure was added from both directions of the seam, which flattened out the cylinder. It isn't very noticeable, but it is there if you look for it. Is this not normal? Are they supposed to be totally round like the others? I looked for any signs of stress or roughing up, but I couldn't find anything, which made me think it might be normal. I've got a Plain handled ABC, which is totally round and a Scroll design that is round with the kind of flattened edges. I just assumed that there was something about this design that required it to be a bit of a flatter cylinder. But perhaps this is not correct? Perhaps others that have an Empire can chime in.

I'd be happy to post more pics if that would be helpful.

Ambrose - I guess I should have asked for clarification about what you were noticing or finding strange. In the second photo there does appear to be some sort of crack or scratch or scuff mark or something on the smooth portion of the handle just before the head. That is just in the photo and not on the razor. That said, maybe you were noticing that it is not a perfect cylinder and the above would be more pertinent.

Just thought I'd clarify.

is it just me or is something funny with the razor? Looks odd where the handle meets the razor head.

I would use a silver polishing cloth it works magic.

I just compared mine to Brian's pic (shameless plug for my today's SOTD)- his looks OK to me.

re polishing: I'd just be very careful not to go too heavy with any abrasives you might use. Maas will make her shine, but you'll be losing some plating.

Oh: Nice razor, Brian! You did work hard for it. I presume you picked up the empire case that was BIN on dbay (and is no longer there)... to match this sweet razor.

Jon - I actually just missed that case. I thought the price was a little high and hesitated at first. Just before eating dinner I decided that I should get it and it was still available. Then after dinner, I went to purchase it, refreshed the page, and to my dismay: the auction was ended because somebody bought it at the full price. Jeesh! Last time I wait on something like that. Oh well. I do have an Empire styled case (not at ABC one) that will do for now, but sometime I'll try to get an actual ABC Empire case.

I picked up this ABC Empire design razor from eBay. I'm fairly certain this is just a tarnished silver one and not the gunmetal one because the bottom of the ball end is very clearly silver.
I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for polishing up the intricate design on the handle.

Brian, only the cases came in gunmetal. The razors are either gold or silver. Yours has to be silver.

I have a silver Empire razor that had a fair amount of patina. I used Maas and ever so lightly polished the highlights of the pattern only. Very little silver was lost and none was lost in the low areas. The razor looks really sharp with the added contrast.

Len

Thanks guys for the tips. I ended up going with a silver polishing cloth. I tried it on a plain handled ABC that I have and it didn't seem abrasive, so I went to this one. Check it out! The first photo is with the case it came with (it was originally part of a gift to someone and it supposedly came in that case). The second one shows it with an ABC-like case. Sorry the pictures aren't the best, it was hard to get enough light but to avoid glare. It really looks a lot better in person. Thanks for the tips guys!

I don't know that it's possible to satisfy the ABC-AD. Seriously. I don't really care for yellow gold, but now I'm starting to reconsider. Oh well...I still need to find a Floral one in silver...Hmm...

Thanks guys for the tips. I ended up going with a silver polishing cloth. I tried it on a plain handled ABC that I have and it didn't seem abrasive, so I went to this one. Check it out! The first photo is with the case it came with (it was originally part of a gift to someone and it supposedly came in that case). The second one shows it with an ABC-like case. Sorry the pictures aren't the best, it was hard to get enough light but to avoid glare. It really looks a lot better in person. Thanks for the tips guys!

Very nice !! the silver polishing cloth works for me every time.

Top Bottom