What's new

PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I think a Merkur 34c is a great start, pairs nice with Astra SP blades. Maybe consider a shave cream before soap, for simplicity? Also, Nivea post shave balm is wonderful post shave and not expensive.

Absolutely! Yes, the Merkur 34 is more expensive than a razor whacked out in a totalitarian country by convict labour. On the other hand, as you accurately point out, there's no need to pay shipping from another continent when you have so much good stuff in Europe. Plus, on the example of others here who are still shaving with a 34 after a couple of decades, it may be the only razor he ever needs until he discovers slants.

At 16 I was more interested in the "3Bs" instead of the "3Rs" in school. That'd be "beer, bikes and babes" instead of "reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic." Besides, I was convinced that the thin mossy growth infesting my upper lip was a Real Man's Moustache(tm).

If you balk at the price, remember that you can easily get half of it back by reselling it on the BST. Plus, speaking as someone who teaches people, it's easier to learn new skills when you're learning on decent equipment. It's a separate skill to learn how to adjust and accommodate to different razors or for quirks in design. It's a good skill, but it comes later after the basics. Get him a crappy razor and he'll only learn what a pain it is to attempt shaving with a crappy razor.

34C, a selection of mild-to-medium blades (and some discussion about them so he understands the idea), I'd say a synthetic brush of decent quality, some cream like Proraso, and a "relatively non-confrontational" aftershave for sensitive skin, like Nivea. Find him a nice copper bowl in a kitchen shop.

Equipment and skills need to balance. When there are few to no skills, the equipment needs to be sturdy, foolproof and of good quality.

O.H.

I set up my 18 year old nephew with a starter set from PAA. I don’t mean to come off insulting, but I figured that their sci-fi style of branding paired with some of their soaps scents that are more along the lines of a body spray scent, he would find it all more appealing. The razor head was just ok, but the handle was not bad. He liked the scent and his sister and her friends Sid he smelled great.

I stuffed a variety of alternative blades in the box for him to try. If he maintains his interest in using this type of set up, I’ll hook him up with a vintage tech or adjustable and a natural hair brush of his own.

As for the set the OP mentioned, I think the yaqi brush selected is awesome and a great choice. I do wonder if a different soap such as proraso green might be a bit more appreciated for the sensation and ease of use? You might also get a commitment to using this set up if you get a nicer artisan soap with a hip and cool fragrance and artwork. This is for a 16yr old after all.

I started back in 66 with a Gillette Tech and Gillette Blue Blades. If you could find one of the vintage all brass Gillette razors on eBay, I would start with that.

Blades? I think Feathers May be a bit much to start the lad out on. Don’t want to turn him off DE shaving before he gets his technique down. I would start with a mild blade, especially since his beard is probably soft and fine at this point.

For soap I would start with something easy on the skin and easy to lather. TOBS Jermyn Street is a great starter cream.

For the brush, I would start with the Edwin Jager Badger. You can still get them on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

For aftershave, it’s tough to beat Nivea Sensitive.

Like I said, make this as pleasurable as possibly by minimizing the chance of nicks, and stinging at an AS

I got one of those soaps with the container to try it. It looks nice, but the metal is very thin like a soda can. It will get dented and smashed unless you are really careful.
Well... I put it the cabinet where the rest of my stuff is, don't really do anything with it, other than open and close the lid, I guess... at the end of the day the soap matters.

I think a Merkur 34c is a great start, pairs nice with Astra SP blades. Maybe consider a shave cream before soap, for simplicity? Also, Nivea post shave balm is wonderful post shave and not expensive.
Order placed yesterday, so that's that.

Tnx nonetheless! 😊👍

Absolutely! Yes, the Merkur 34 is more expensive than a razor whacked out in a totalitarian country by convict labour. On the other hand, as you accurately point out, there's no need to pay shipping from another continent when you have so much good stuff in Europe. Plus, on the example of others here who are still shaving with a 34 after a couple of decades, it may be the only razor he ever needs until he discovers slants.

At 16 I was more interested in the "3Bs" instead of the "3Rs" in school. That'd be "beer, bikes and babes" instead of "reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic." Besides, I was convinced that the thin mossy growth infesting my upper lip was a Real Man's Moustache(tm).

If you balk at the price, remember that you can easily get half of it back by reselling it on the BST. Plus, speaking as someone who teaches people, it's easier to learn new skills when you're learning on decent equipment. It's a separate skill to learn how to adjust and accommodate to different razors or for quirks in design. It's a good skill, but it comes later after the basics. Get him a crappy razor and he'll only learn what a pain it is to attempt shaving with a crappy razor.

34C, a selection of mild-to-medium blades (and some discussion about them so he understands the idea), I'd say a synthetic brush of decent quality, some cream like Proraso, and a "relatively non-confrontational" aftershave for sensitive skin, like Nivea. Find him a nice copper bowl in a kitchen shop.

Equipment and skills need to balance. When there are few to no skills, the equipment needs to be sturdy, foolproof and of good quality.

O.H.
Much appreciated, but as mentioned yesterday, I have placed the order already upon receiving more great recommendations that I hoped for. So, stuff is hopefully in the mail already.

Tnx nonetheless! 👍👍😊

I set up my 18 year old nephew with a starter set from PAA. I don’t mean to come off insulting, but I figured that their sci-fi style of branding paired with some of their soaps scents that are more along the lines of a body spray scent, he would find it all more appealing. The razor head was just ok, but the handle was not bad. He liked the scent and his sister and her friends Sid he smelled great.

I stuffed a variety of alternative blades in the box for him to try. If he maintains his interest in using this type of set up, I’ll hook him up with a vintage tech or adjustable and a natural hair brush of his own.

As for the set the OP mentioned, I think the yaqi brush selected is awesome and a great choice. I do wonder if a different soap such as proraso green might be a bit more appreciated for the sensation and ease of use? You might also get a commitment to using this set up if you get a nicer artisan soap with a hip and cool fragrance and artwork. This is for a 16yr old after all.
Tnx, excellent advice.

Stuff is on its way, so we'll see how it goes.

I would have recommended the WSC black plastic razor or a Gillette Super Blue from Aliexpress myself. Nice mild razors that will do the job for a long time.
Tnx!

AliExpress ships free-of-charge, which is nice, but the downside is it can take 2 months to get the package. OTOH, when I order from EU, it's on my doorsteps within 2-4 days.

I started back in 66 with a Gillette Tech and Gillette Blue Blades. If you could find one of the vintage all brass Gillette razors on eBay, I would start with that.

Blades? I think Feathers May be a bit much to start the lad out on. Don’t want to turn him off DE shaving before he gets his technique down. I would start with a mild blade, especially since his beard is probably soft and fine at this point.

For soap I would start with something easy on the skin and easy to lather. TOBS Jermyn Street is a great starter cream.

For the brush, I would start with the Edwin Jager Badger. You can still get them on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

For aftershave, it’s tough to beat Nivea Sensitive.

Like I said, make this as pleasurable as possibly by minimizing the chance of nicks, and stinging at an AS
Kids don't like used stuff, so no vintage.

I myself started in late '80s, with Gillette Fat Boy and now 30 smth. years later am mad at myself for not keeping that razor.

Tnx for great suggestions. As a matter of fact I have placed the order and opted for TOBS Jermyn Street 👍😊

I've been DE shaving for 12 years. I now use this as my everyday razor (well this head on a heavier handle). Very mild, blade held completely rigid with no wiggle room. There is no overhang. Inexpensive. Love it.

Kids don't like used stuff, so no vintage.
When I first started a couple years ago I wasn’t interested in vintage either. After seeing reviews and other posts about them here I finally gave it a try and fell down the Gillette Tech rabbit hole. Just because he’s not interested in them now doesn’t necessarily mean that he won’t be interested in the future

I'm in the middle of putting together a starter kit for my friend who's interested in taking the plunge. So far this is what I have for him:

Razor: Gillette Slim (great condition find that I'm currently cleaning up and polishing)
Brush: Maggards 24 mm Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool
Aftershave: B&M Cool Balm
Razor Blade starter: About 50 razor blades of 10 different types of blades including gillettes, astras, derbys, feather, sharks, etc.

I like OP's selected kit for his son. It's always interesting to see the kind of kits people in the hobby have.

Much appreciated, but as mentioned yesterday, I have placed the order already upon receiving more great recommendations that I hoped for. So, stuff is hopefully in the mail already.

Tnx nonetheless! 👍👍😊
Keep us posted on the young man's new experiences with the "wonderful world of shaving".

You have made great choices for all of your products. All within a reasonable price range. The TOBS cream is very easy to whip up a slick and protective lather and will last a long time. Best of luck with your new wet shaver and keep us posted on his progress!

Congrats to OP!!

I choose the Feather Popular with some mild blades and easy to lather cream for my son's 1st shave.

Once again, thank you all so much for awesome contribution to this little thread. I really appreciate it all the great ideas and product recommendations you guys have given me so far! 😊 👍 😊 👍

My son's first DE set-up comprised a pre-WW2 Tech, a Whipped Dog badger brush, GSB blades and some GFT cream. A couple of years on and he still loves the Tech, for the shave it gives and the retro cool thing, the blades and the badger brush. I've moved more towards synth brushes, but he's still all for the natural fibres. As for the shaving soap/cream, he's now started "borrowing" my MdC and Saponificio Varesino soaps. Perhaps I should have started him with a lifetime suppy of Arko rather than the GFT.

Wouldn't making him use Arko be considered child abuse? Or are you trying to make sure he smells so bad that the girls will stay far away?

The rockwell 6S and 6C has a kit you can buy. Comes with the razor, plates, shave cream and brush, and 5 bad blades. The brush isn't half bad. I'd recommend either Shark super chrome, Racer stainless, Voskhod or Derby Extra blades. Aftershave, I have no idea, but can't go wrong with Fine American blend. Just my two cents, good luck with your search, it's a great gift to give.

For younger skin and first time DE shaver, I would recommend (based on my previous experiences)

PREP - Good quality sensitive face wash with no fragrance/parfum in the ingredients, not a face scrub. Prepping and 'degreasing' youthful skin would definitely be beneficial for a smooth clean shave.

RAZOR - Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 or Muhle R89. These are the best entry level razors in the market. If you get the Feather popular, you will definitely want to get one of the above after a few shaves. It has a cheaper feel due the plastic handle

SHAVE SOAP/CREAM - I would suggest a easy to lather and slick cream like Proraso white or Geo F Trumper Coconut (more expensive).

AFTERSHAVE - I would suggest an alum block to the shaved areas and rinse, then toner to entire face and let dry, then an AS balm to the shaved areas. The alum disinfects and seals any cuts. The Thayers witch hazel toners are great as it's not distilled with alcohol and it prepares the skin ready for a balm. A good AS balm for youthful skin would be Proraso white aloe and vitamin E. Wouldn't recommend anything with alcohol as it just dries the skin making it more acne prone.

MOISTURISER - I would suggest to apply moisturiser in the T-zone where there wasn't any AS balm applied. Look for a 'sensitive' product without fragrance/parfum in the ingredients.

On non-shave days, I would definitely suggest using the above face wash, toner, moisturiser.

Youthful skin can be delicate as it's more acne prone and I would strongly suggest 'sensitive' range of products.

If I could go back a decade (or two) and if these products were all readily available to me, then I would have definitely started with the above routine.

Cheers.

Top Bottom