What's new

PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver

I started my son at about 15 with the following:

Gillette Mach 3 (for those times he is rushed)
Gillette Ball End Tech (post war)
Voskhod blades
RazoRock Bruce brush
TOBS Almond cream (full tub)
Gillette Foam Mousse Barbershop Fresh (again for those times he's rushed)
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon Toner

He admits the shave from the Tech is better than the Mach 3 but still ends up using the Mach 3 fairly often. Kids. Always in a rush to get someplace.
Tnx so much and indeed they rush, hence I wanted to get him smth. he won't cut himself badly with. I don't want to start him with Mach3. My elder son uses them, I'm trying to get him to switch, with little success so far 😂😂.

So, no carts this time.

You don't think TOBS Almond is too "mature" for a 16 y/o?

just a couple ideas...

let him get a light barber shave after his next haircut!

just to reduce any 'fear' factor!

or, let him practice with whatever at-home kit, on his arm!

congrats on your good fathering and enjoy!
Tnx, great idea. He actually liked the classic barber shop in a mall a lot. They use Proraso products and Proraso has great looking sets in a beautiful tin box, but the scents are not for a teenager. Otherwise this would've been my first choice.

The Feather Popular is fine, but I will second the idea of a fat handle Tech, but I prefer the post-war model.

Not a fan of Voshkod or of Astra SP. Better, IMO, to get German Wilkies or Astra SS or maybe Gillette Silver Blues. (Blade tastes vary a lot, though, for sure.)

A brush with a Plissoft synthetic knot is a no-lose proposition.
Tnx!

What about the modern Gillette?

I know my kid, he won't gladly use a vintage, pre owned thing, so that rules out any Tech.

Tnx so much and indeed they rush, hence I wanted to get him smth. he won't cut himself badly with. I don't want to start him with Mach3. My elder son uses them, I'm trying to get him to switch, with little success so far 😂😂.

So, no carts this time.

You don't think TOBS Almond is too "mature" for a 16 y/o?

I understand the reluctance to use a Mach 3. I had my son use a Mach 3 for maybe two or three shaves. Then once he got the hang of the act of shaving, I gave him the Tech. He immediately commented about how much better it was. He then proceeded to use the Tech for a couple years. It's only recently that he's gone back to the Mach 3 and the canned foamin' goo because of his school schedule. As for the TOBS Almond, I let him smell every single one of my soaps and creams. He didn't like any of them......except that one. I figured if he doesn't like the scent, he won't use it. Ultimately the price of a tub of TOBS is quite reasonable. To this day it's the only one he'll use besides the canned stuff. Anyway, he's 17 going on 30.

Your setup looks fine to me. The only two additions: aftershave balm and an alum block.
Tnx, makes sense. Not sure about the alum though, as I stopped using it years ago. To me it's more like a tool for a specific job, like if you nick yourself you use alum.

I wouldn't want him to overexpose his face to too many chemical substances all of a sudden. I firmly believe less is more.

A good soap + AS splash or AS balm, but not both at the same time. I don't do it, so wouldn't recommend it.

Razor: Feather Popular (around €16)
I don't like plastic handles so the Weishi 9306 or the Wilkinson Sword classic TTO would be better choices. Other than that I think you are on the right track. The TTO razors make blade changes easier and safer.

I understand the reluctance to use a Mach 3. I had my son use a Mach 3 for maybe two or three shaves. Then once he got the hang of the act of shaving, I gave him the Tech. He immediately commented about how much better it was. He then proceeded to use the Tech for a couple years. It's only recently that he's gone back to the Mach 3 and the canned foamin' goo because of his school schedule. As for the TOBS Almond, I let him smell every single one of my soaps and creams. He didn't like any of them......except that one. I figured if he doesn't like the scent, he won't use it. Ultimately the price of a tub of TOBS is quite reasonable. To this day it's the only one he'll use besides the canned stuff. Anyway, he's 17 going on 30.
Makes sense 😊

I don't like plastic handles so the Weishi 9306 or the Wilkinson Sword classic TTO would be better choices. Other than that I think you are on the right track. The TTO razors make blade changes easier and safer.
TNX!

How aggressive are those razors?

I'm aiming for "ultra mild".

TNX!

How aggressive are those razors?

I'm aiming for "ultra mild".
I think the Weishi would fit the bill admirably. The Wilkinson has a longer handle and may be a tad more aggresive.
You could also consider the Tech clones from China; I think Baili do one but build quality may not be good for a first razor resulting in a poor experience.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I started my two with the original Wilkinson sword classic, the plastic one.
7000155Z___L.jpg

They both started off with 5 blade carts because, kids. Both of them came to the conclusion that carts didn't work for them each for their own reasons. They both said they didn't try DE because the razors were "a bit scary" but the plastic classic, which even covers the blade tabs made them dive right in.
Blades, however were a different matter I gave them a selection and both have kind of settled on different blades. As for brushes and soap/cream there was no way to keep them from using mine, they like using different brushes as the mood takes them and with soap they both seem to do the same although they prefer creams and croaps to hard soaps (My MWF is safe, for now)

Tnx, yes Stirling is available in EU and I love their balms, use them myself.

Which Stirling scent would you recommend for a young guy, a boy still? He'll be 16 in April.

How about Stirling Blu or Deep Blue Sea? I haven't used them myself, but from the description they seem to be fresh, everyday scents targeting the younger audience. If you prefer to avoid cologne type of scents, perhaps something as simple as lime might work.

I started my two with the original Wilkinson sword classic, the plastic one.
View attachment 1161814
They both started off with 5 blade carts because, kids. Both of them came to the conclusion that carts didn't work for them each for their own reasons. They both said they didn't try DE because the razors were "a bit scary" but the plastic classic, which even covers the blade tabs made them dive right in.
Blades, however were a different matter I gave them a selection and both have kind of settled on different blades. As for brushes and soap/cream there was no way to keep them from using mine, they like using different brushes as the mood takes them and with soap they both seem to do the same although they prefer creams and croaps to hard soaps (My MWF is safe, for now)
Hey tnx so much!

How aggressive / mild is the Wilkinson?

How about Stirling Blu or Deep Blue Sea? I haven't used them myself, but from the description they seem to be fresh, everyday scents targeting the younger audience. If you prefer to avoid cologne type of scents, perhaps something as simple as lime might work.
Bingo!

I was actually thinking of RR Aqua, which is a Davidoff Cool Water clone, but milder, brighter scent. Now you've got me thinking 😎

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Hey tnx so much!

How aggressive / mild is the Wilkinson?

It is the mildest razor I have ever used. One of my boys is only 14 but needed to start shaving and neither he nor the 20yo had any problems with it. They haven't even used their styptic pencils yet

You mentioned you are from Hungary so I would recommend Barbon cream and AS (excellent cream and the AS is fleeting fresh scent).

I think RR Aqua is more Calvin Klein CK1. When I was in High School, it was a popular scent. It's a fresh aquatic scent.

You mentioned you are from Hungary so I would recommend Barbon cream and AS (excellent cream and the AS is fleeting fresh scent).

I think RR Aqua is more Calvin Klein CK1. When I was in High School, it was a popular scent. It's a fresh aquatic scent.
Tnx! Bárbon lol 😂😂

It's a "dollar store" one, but ingredients are poor, basically just alcohol and artificial fragrance. Nope.

Actually I am thinking of the Wilkinson soap... with that razor suggested above, it's a bargain. Can get both for under €10 and Wilkinson soap gets a lot of praise. I myself never tried it. So, this looks interesting.

Tnx, great idea. He actually liked the classic barber shop in a mall a lot. They use Proraso products and Proraso has great looking sets in a beautiful tin box, but the scents are not for a teenager. Otherwise this would've been my first choice.

you could always ask the barber if you could bring another shave cream!
canned or tube.
altho he might not want to use a soap/brush.

Tnx! Bárbon lol 😂😂

It's a "dollar store" one, but ingredients are poor, basically just alcohol and artificial fragrance. Nope.

Actually I am thinking of the Wilkinson soap... with that razor suggested above, it's a bargain. Can get both for under €10 and Wilkinson soap gets a lot of praise. I myself never tried it. So, this looks interesting.
I find the cream to be very good and I like the menthol in the AS.
I like the Wilkinson Sword stick and razor are top notch.

A good mild razor and a couple tucks of mild to medium blades is good. For the soap, I'd look at sample packs. Let the lad pick out, no- personalize his shave. Once he finds "his" scent, a full sized puck and complimenting aftershave are easy and usually cheap enough to find.

A good mild razor and a couple tucks of mild to medium blades is good. For the soap, I'd look at sample packs. Let the lad pick out, no- personalize his shave. Once he finds "his" scent, a full sized puck and complimenting aftershave are easy and usually cheap enough to find.
Tnx!

Was looking fwd to getting some concrete product recommendations, but tnx nonetheless.

Top Bottom