What's new

PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver

Gents,

My younger boy will be turning 16 shortly and so I’d like to initiate him into this wonderful world of wet-shaving. I’m thinking of a a nice wet-shaving set as a perfect gift for Christmas.

Naturally, as his whiskers just start to appear in light patches, I am thinking of a super-mild razor.

What do you all think of the following?

Razor: Feather Popular (around €16)

Blades: Feather Yellow (€10 for a 5 10-blade packs, total of 50)

Brush: Yaqi 22mm Synthetic Hair Tuxedo Knot White Resin Handle (€8)

Soap: RazoRock, but don't know which one (€10)

AS: Matching the RR soap (€12)

And PLS feel free to list what would you choose instead, if you think there are better options.

Not sure if I mention budget, but I guess it can't hurt. As this is a beginner set-up for a teenager, I'd like to be well within a $100USD mark.

It comes down to about €56 (roughly $65 USD) and I get free-shipping, so it seems reasonable.

I must admit I am at odds with soap/aftershave scent-wise. He’s a teenager and... well... I’d like smth. modern, lighter and appropriate for his age, but also of top quality, so it doesn't dry or irritate his tender skin.

Any advice on all of the above listed is more than welcomed!!

Thank you! 😊

Great idea! Best of luck! :)

The razor and the brush seem great. You could also look for a brush with a plissoft knot which is probably softer than the tuxedo due to less backbone.

I would add a few packs of less sharp blades, e.g. Astra SP, Gillette Platinum etc. so that you can find something appropriate for his stubble and skin.

I don't have any experience with razorock soap. I know that Fine offers a few modern scents (e.g. Fresh Vetiver, L' Orange Noir). The performance is very good. Also, Stiriling soaps started appearing in EU stores and they offer a huge variety and are highly regarded.

Think also of the possibility of adding a balm, since his skin is not used to shaving.

I hope he loves it! It would be a great thing for you two to share! :)

Last edited:
My recommendation would be :

Razor: Merkur 34c A good all-around razor. Efficient but not too aggressive.

Blades: Astra SP or Voskhod. Smooth comfortable and not too sharp.

Brush: Shave Brushes - https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-brushes. I would start with a synthetic 22mm.

Soap: Shave Soap - https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-soap, You will have to decide the scent you like. They sell soap /matching aftershave sets ,

AS: Match the scent of the soap.

Witch Hazel

Styptic Powder, pencil, or liquid.

FYI : I have no connection to any of these suppliers other than as a customer.

Best of luck and I hope your son enjoys many shaves to come!

A free membership to Badger & Blade wouldn’t do him any harm, either...😁

Great idea of yours, though. And if you carry on buying his supplies, it could be a lovely cheap hobby for the lad! Agree with the blade recommendations above. And many happy returns to him when it happens!

I think that the Feather Popular is an excellent choice for a 16 year old. Mild and modern it will get the job done perfectly. Why not get him a Fat Handled Gillette Tech too and explain it's history to him? A bit of razor variety might get him more interested in the history of traditional wet shaving.

My son's first DE set-up comprised a pre-WW2 Tech, a Whipped Dog badger brush, GSB blades and some GFT cream. A couple of years on and he still loves the Tech, for the shave it gives and the retro cool thing, the blades and the badger brush. I've moved more towards synth brushes, but he's still all for the natural fibres. As for the shaving soap/cream, he's now started "borrowing" my MdC and Saponificio Varesino soaps. Perhaps I should have started him with a lifetime suppy of Arko rather than the GFT.

Personally I love the Merkur open-comb. It can tackle short stubble or long hair equally well which makes it very versatile. If I've been away camping it can slice through a two-week beard like it wasn't there but it's also a very mild, drama-free razor you can use every day.

I'd give him a blade sample pack: eg Derby Extra, Astra SP, Astra Superior Stainless, and Nacets. That covers the range from mild to sharp.

Arko is an obvious choice for soap. Easy to lather.

I saw prices in Euros: if you're buying in the UK Bulldog make a nice little brush which is inexpensive but good quality.

I started my son at about 15 with the following:

Gillette Mach 3 (for those times he is rushed)
Gillette Ball End Tech (post war)
Voskhod blades
RazoRock Bruce brush
TOBS Almond cream (full tub)
Gillette Foam Mousse Barbershop Fresh (again for those times he's rushed)
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon Toner

He admits the shave from the Tech is better than the Mach 3 but still ends up using the Mach 3 fairly often. Kids. Always in a rush to get someplace.

OP plan is fine. No need to overthink this, your grandfather likely just grabbed what looked good at the Rexall. They'll be plenty of time for him to obsess later.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Great idea! Best of luck! :)

The razor and the brush seem great. You could also look for a brush with a plissoft knot which is probably softer than the tuxedo due to less backbone.

I would add a few packs of less sharp blades, e.g. Astra SP, Gillette Platinum etc. so that you can find something appropriate for his stubble and skin.

I don't have any experience with razorock soap. I know that Fine offers a few modern scents (e.g. Fresh Vetiver, L' Orange Noir). The performance is very good. Also, Stiriling soaps started appearing in EU stores and they offer a huge variety and are highly regarded.

Think also of the possibility of adding a balm, since his skin is not used to shaving.

I hope he loves it! It would be a great thing for you two to share! :)
Tnx, yes Stirling is available in EU and I love their balms, use them myself.

Which Stirling scent would you recommend for a young guy, a boy still? He'll be 16 in April.

My recommendation would be :

Razor: Merkur 34c A good all-around razor. Efficient but not too aggressive.

Blades: Astra SP or Voskhod. Smooth comfortable and not too sharp.

Brush: Shave Brushes - https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-brushes. I would start with a synthetic 22mm.

Soap: Shave Soap - https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-soap, You will have to decide the scent you like. They sell soap /matching aftershave sets ,

AS: Match the scent of the soap.

Witch Hazel

Styptic Powder, pencil, or liquid.

FYI : I have no connection to any of these suppliers other than as a customer.

Best of luck and I hope your son enjoys many shaves to come!
Dude 34c is heavy duty. We're talking a razor for the kiddo, not a grown up male. 🙄

I think that the Feather Popular is an excellent choice for a 16 year old. Mild and modern it will get the job done perfectly. Why not get him a Fat Handled Gillette Tech too and explain it's history to him? A bit of razor variety might get him more interested in the history of traditional wet shaving.
Tnx, great idea! 👍😊

My son's first DE set-up comprised a pre-WW2 Tech, a Whipped Dog badger brush, GSB blades and some GFT cream. A couple of years on and he still loves the Tech, for the shave it gives and the retro cool thing, the blades and the badger brush. I've moved more towards synth brushes, but he's still all for the natural fibres. As for the shaving soap/cream, he's now started "borrowing" my MdC and Saponificio Varesino soaps. Perhaps I should have started him with a lifetime suppy of Arko rather than the GFT.
Tnx and I can totally understand why. I use SV Opuntia myself, love the fragrance, so who knows 😅

just a couple ideas...

let him get a light barber shave after his next haircut!

just to reduce any 'fear' factor!

or, let him practice with whatever at-home kit, on his arm!

congrats on your good fathering and enjoy!

Personally I love the Merkur open-comb. It can tackle short stubble or long hair equally well which makes it very versatile. If I've been away camping it can slice through a two-week beard like it wasn't there but it's also a very mild, drama-free razor you can use every day.

I'd give him a blade sample pack: eg Derby Extra, Astra SP, Astra Superior Stainless, and Nacets. That covers the range from mild to sharp.

Arko is an obvious choice for soap. Easy to lather.

I saw prices in Euros: if you're buying in the UK Bulldog make a nice little brush which is inexpensive but good quality.
Tnx! I'm mostly buying from Germany and Italy online and locally here in Hungary.

The Feather Popular is fine, but I will second the idea of a fat handle Tech, but I prefer the post-war model.

Not a fan of Voshkod or of Astra SP. Better, IMO, to get German Wilkies or Astra SS or maybe Gillette Silver Blues. (Blade tastes vary a lot, though, for sure.)

A brush with a Plissoft synthetic knot is a no-lose proposition.

Top Bottom