What's new

PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@KrstGor, most who get into SR shaving wish they had started in their teens. Not sure if it would work for your lad. I know at that age my concentration was almost totally on girls and sailing.

Wilkinson Sword Classic Safety Razor
Simpson Berkley Best Badger
Tabac w/ jar

This was my first DE razor at a similar age. It will work well for a few years until he chooses a good one that suits his own taste.

The brush is solid but a bit small. Wait till Black Friday and you may get a bigger one for the same price. A real badger brush will add some class to the set up and impress the girls. It may even spark an interest in personal grooming. This is one element from the kit that he may keep and use fairly long term. I would focus on getting the best brush you can. No synthetics please. They’re not cool enough for a 16 year old.

Tabac is a top their soap at a good price. Easy to lather for a beginner. You could drop this down to Hasslinger or Speick cream and upgrade the brush. I think a hard soap is more traditional. Nothing will make a young man feel like more of a man than the heavenly smell of Tabac in the air.
46D84FCB-9402-4EF4-B205-C1DE091F2A7E.jpeg
679FB89C-F6F3-4F26-9A88-7BF946CC2F06.jpeg
C3D2CD16-8330-43BB-8F4C-82F39F78A4FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Tnx! Bárbon lol 😂😂

It's a "dollar store" one, but ingredients are poor, basically just alcohol and artificial fragrance. Nope.

Actually I am thinking of the Wilkinson soap... with that razor suggested above, it's a bargain. Can get both for under €10 and Wilkinson soap gets a lot of praise. I myself never tried it. So, this looks interesting.
I think the Wilkinson Classic metal TTO razor would be nice. Combine with Wilkinson stick, La Toja stick or La Toja cream in the red tube. Add a good synthetic brush such as Simpson Trafalgar T2. Gillette 7 O'clock yellow blades or similar Russian blades from Saint Petersburg. Nivea balm.

Please avoid the Wilkinson soap in the blue bowl that looks like a UFO. The stick is good, though.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razor: Karve brass base plate and top cap only (plate B - Neutral Gap - .73) (around $55)

Razor Handle: West Coast Shaving handle (around $13)

Blades:
Blade sampler pack ($10)

Brush: Je&Co Tuxedo Synthetic, 24mm Extra Dense Knot ($12)

Soap: RazoRock Emperor soap ($10)

AS: RazoRock Emperor splash ($15)

Emperor scent is a Creed Aventus knockoff (but if that's too sophisticated, an aquatic scent from that line would work.)

Total - $115 - Tough to keep it under $100 and get a decent three-piece razor. If you think that razor is too much, you could certainly get him the better Feather butterfly you selected and cut off quite a bit.

Best of luck! He's greatly blessed to have a Dad who would think of this kind of gift! Wonderful!

The best razor with nearly zero blade feel is the Henson Razor. The Henson "medium" razor has a blade exposure of only .002 (that is 2/1000 inches) and the "mild" version has .001 blade exposure!! You can barely see the blade. It is clamped so tight that there is zero blade chatter. This razor IMHO is the best design for new wet shavers in the last 100 years. Just became available in August 2020. I did not believe it when I saw the pictures and read the hype. After I shaved with it, I was astonished. I got a damn fine shave in 3 irritation free passes and BBS after cleanup. I have 33 other razors (Commercial, Artisan, Vintage, you name it) with which to compare the Henson. Razor comes with Astra Blades (Green Pkg) and is $40. Read my review of the Henson on this site in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section, under Henson Razor Club.
Soap: TOBS Cream (whatever scent you like, since there are many to choose from)($16) (Cream is easier for newbies)
Brush: Inexpensive High Quality Synthetic... Razorock 400 ((longer handles work better for newbies) ($15)
Bowl: Travel Shave Bowl from Stirling ($6) or same thing from Ebay (higher sides work better for newbies)
Aftershave: Gabels Drops of Lime ($6/16 oz at barber supply shops online)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
One other razor option...RazoRock Mamba 70 Special is $50 total. They claim it's blemished...I couldn't find one on mine. But that razor comes complete with a handle. Would cut $18 off my previous post's total.

I think the Wilkinson Classic metal TTO razor would be nice. Combine with Wilkinson stick, La Toja stick or La Toja cream in the red tube. Add a good synthetic brush such as Simpson Trafalgar T2. Gillette 7 O'clock yellow blades or similar Russian blades from Saint Petersburg. Nivea balm.

Please avoid the Wilkinson soap in the blue bowl that looks like a UFO. The stick is good, though.
Tnx!

Again, this is a beginner set for a boy, not a CEO.

Simpson Trafalgar costs 5 times as much as Yaqui, which ppl claim are excellent.

Pls limit your suggestions to the budget I have indicated and the fact this is intended as a starter kit for a teenager.

@KrstGor, most who get into SR shaving wish they had started in their teens. Not sure if it would work for your lad. I know at that age my concentration was almost totally on girls and sailing.
We'll, if he one day wants to do that, I'll be happy to help.

For now it's not an option.

Tnx nonetheless.

Wilkinson Sword Classic Safety Razor
Simpson Berkley Best Badger
Tabac w/ jar

This was my first DE razor at a similar age. It will work well for a few years until he chooses a good one that suits his own taste.

The brush is solid but a bit small. Wait till Black Friday and you may get a bigger one for the same price. A real badger brush will add some class to the set up and impress the girls. It may even spark an interest in personal grooming. This is one element from the kit that he may keep and use fairly long term. I would focus on getting the best brush you can. No synthetics please. They’re not cool enough for a 16 year old.

Tabac is a top their soap at a good price. Easy to lather for a beginner. You could drop this down to Hasslinger or Speick cream and upgrade the brush. I think a hard soap is more traditional. Nothing will make a young man feel like more of a man than the heavenly smell of Tabac in the air.View attachment 1162002View attachment 1162003View attachment 1162004
Much appreciate the suggestion!

That said, I can't stand Tabac, so that's probably the only item I wouldn't consider.

Brush wise, I can get a Yaqui Silver Tip for $15 with free shipping, so am definitely not spending extra on a Simpson.

Tnx!

Again, this is a beginner set for a boy, not a CEO.

Simpson Trafalgar costs 5 times as much as Yaqui, which ppl claim are excellent.

Pls limit your suggestions to the budget I have indicated and the fact this is intended as a starter kit for a teenager.

The Simpson Trafalgar is a budget synthetic brush that costs about 22 bucks. I picked it because it is nice brush for a good price. Get a Yaqi if you want, I was trying to point out a good deal.

Cost:

16 - Wilkinson Classic metal TTO razor
02 - La Toja shave stick
22 - Simpson Trafalgar T2
12 - Gillette 7 O'clock yellow blades
05 - Nivea balm
--------------------
57 - TOTAL (before shipping)

The total cost is well under your budget for a set that should make a nice gift for your son.

I tried to help you, stayed within budget, and your response is a smart-aleck dismissal? Fine, do what you want.
:mad1:

Last edited:
Razor: Karve brass base plate and top cap only (plate B - Neutral Gap - .73) (around $55)

Razor Handle: West Coast Shaving handle (around $13)

Blades: Blade sampler pack ($10)

Brush: Je&Co Tuxedo Synthetic, 24mm Extra Dense Knot ($12)

Soap: RazoRock Emperor soap ($10)

AS: RazoRock Emperor splash ($15)

Emperor scent is a Creed Aventus knockoff (but if that's too sophisticated, an aquatic scent from that line would work.)

Total - $115 - Tough to keep it under $100 and get a decent three-piece razor. If you think that razor is too much, you could certainly get him the better Feather butterfly you selected and cut off quite a bit.

Best of luck! He's greatly blessed to have a Dad who would think of this kind of gift! Wonderful!
Much appreciated and tnx fpr the nice words, too :)

That said, I just don't bother with shave supplies from North America.

We have such an abundance of products over here in Europe, that paying ANY shipping cost from US would be ludicrous. With most of the online suppliers in EU, shipping is totally free-of-charge (above certain amount), while a USPS standard intl. mail for the above listed would be $67. So, it's just not an option.

We do have RazoRock here, as well, 'cause they're Italian product, price is the same, can vary $1-2 between various online retailers.

The best razor with nearly zero blade feel is the Henson Razor. The Henson "medium" razor has a blade exposure of only .002 (that is 2/1000 inches) and the "mild" version has .001 blade exposure!! You can barely see the blade. It is clamped so tight that there is zero blade chatter. This razor IMHO is the best design for new wet shavers in the last 100 years. Just became available in August 2020. I did not believe it when I saw the pictures and read the hype. After I shaved with it, I was astonished. I got a damn fine shave in 3 irritation free passes and BBS after cleanup. I have 33 other razors (Commercial, Artisan, Vintage, you name it) with which to compare the Henson. Razor comes with Astra Blades (Green Pkg) and is $40. Read my review of the Henson on this site in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section, under Henson Razor Club.
Soap: TOBS Cream (whatever scent you like, since there are many to choose from)($16) (Cream is easier for newbies)
Brush: Inexpensive High Quality Synthetic... Razorock 400 ((longer handles work better for newbies) ($15)
Bowl: Travel Shave Bowl from Stirling ($6) or same thing from Ebay (higher sides work better for newbies)
Aftershave: Gabels Drops of Lime ($6/16 oz at barber supply shops online)
Tnx!

I like TOBS creams, especially the smaller 75ml tubes, as they're more practical.

Was kind of hoping to get opinions on what might be an appropriate scent for a teenager boy. So, if you have a tip, don't be shy!

Will have a look at the rest, really appreciate it! Tnx!

One other razor option...RazoRock Mamba 70 Special is $50 total. They claim it's blemished...I couldn't find one on mine. But that razor comes complete with a handle. Would cut $18 off my previous post's total.
Nah, no slants or expensive stuff. I want him to start off with smth. basic, get a feel for it to be able to appreciate a more sophisticated merchandise. Hey, I could've given him my AS-D2 or Vector, if I wanted him to have a high-end 😉

Gents,

Thank you so much for great suggestions!

Here's another Q, a more specific one - what about King C?

Seems very reasonably priced, but how mild/aggressive is this new razor?

Is this the one that uses EJ DE89 head?

1601468903251.png

Seems very reasonably priced, but how mild/aggressive is this new razor?

Is this the one that uses EJ DE89 head?
I think that is on par with the Wilkinson Sword TTO so it would be considered mild. They are selling at a good price at the moment and the handle design is pitched towards attracting the cartridge shaver. I cannot fault the head though which is based on the DE89 design and apparently is manufactured in Germany. They are selling for £13 in stores at the moment so a very good deal.
The KCG blades are very good but expensive.

Gents,

I wanna thank you all for being so helpful and you great insights. I have finalized it and am going to order the following items:

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Premium Collection (TTO)

1601475182399.png

Blades: Same WS blades that comes with the razor.

Brush: The Bluebeards Revenge Shaving Synthetic Doubloon Brush 24mm + Stand

1601475316005.png
1601475350228.png

Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street 75ml tube

1601475428876.png

AS: Nivea Protect & Care 2-in-1 lotion

1601475516259.png

Great idea!!

Two suggestions:
1. Consider a soap stick, such as La Toja. These are easy to use to produce great lather!
2. Consider a blade sampler pack rather than a single blade option.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Tnx and by all means I appreciate as much input as I can get.

1. I was somehow under the impression cream would be the easiest option + I got some nice soaps, so maybe he'll like some of mines... maybe the Haslinger you recommended the other day, who knows.

2. Certainly, I always got Feathers in my den 😁. But seriously, he's facial hair is very light, not yet full, so it probably wouldn't matter which blade he would put in the razor anyways.

P.s.: I really like the tin container this sheep milk comes in.

1601485460191.png

I think a Merkur 34c is a great start, pairs nice with Astra SP blades. Maybe consider a shave cream before soap, for simplicity? Also, Nivea post shave balm is wonderful post shave and not expensive.

Top Bottom