What's new

Plisson - Opinions Please

I purchased this brush directly from Plisson. To my eyes, the knot appears to be set at an angle. Have never encountered or seen a knot like this, maybe I’ve just been lucky. Functionally, I’m sure the brush is fine. It is just the odd look that I find distracting. Does this knot appear normal to you and within range of handmade variation?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 56
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 49
  • Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 55
Yep, for sure.

I’ve been a long time, off and on, lurker here and gleaned a lot of great information. As I mentioned previously, I have never seen or read about a brush issue such as this. So figured this would be of interest to the B&B community. Really appreciate everyone’s replies and advice.

Will keep you all posted.

It looks like someone with their head tilted sideways, like posing for a photo. :)

Let us know what Plisson says. I hope they offer to send you a replacement.

Never thought of it that way, but indeed it does. 👍

I’ve been trying to give Plisson the opportunity to make this right. That is one of the reasons for starting this thread. This issue was already brought to Plisson’s attention (2 emails, no replies). Plisson only responded after I opened a PayPal claim. Plisson said:

“Our craftsmen pay meticulous attention to every detail. However, it's worth noting that variations in the badger hair tufts can occur due to the use of natural materials. Nevertheless, it's these very imperfections that contribute to their charm and uniqueness.”

Plisson did not offer an exchange or a return of the brush. And PayPal subsequently denied my claim.

I was really taken aback by all of this but thought maybe I’m just too picky. That is when I started this thread. Wanted to get a few more eyes/opinions. I sent a link to this thread to both Plisson (again asking to return the brush) and to PayPal along with an appeal of my denied claim. As of today, no reply from Plisson, PayPal appeal pending.

I was hoping that Plisson would read this thread and change course. But I think that would have already happened/received some communication from Plisson by now. I’m somewhat more hopeful of resolving thru PayPal, but not sure how much more time and energy I want to expend on this.

I’ve been trying to give Plisson the opportunity to make this right. That is one of the reasons for starting this thread. This issue was already brought to Plisson’s attention (2 emails, no replies). Plisson only responded after I opened a PayPal claim. Plisson said:

“Our craftsmen pay meticulous attention to every detail. However, it's worth noting that variations in the badger hair tufts can occur due to the use of natural materials. Nevertheless, it's these very imperfections that contribute to their charm and uniqueness.”

Plisson did not offer an exchange or a return of the brush. And PayPal subsequently denied my claim.

I was really taken aback by all of this but thought maybe I’m just too picky. That is when I started this thread. Wanted to get a few more eyes/opinions. I sent a link to this thread to both Plisson (again asking to return the brush) and to PayPal along with an appeal of my denied claim. As of today, no reply from Plisson, PayPal appeal pending.

I was hoping that Plisson would read this thread and change course. But I think that would have already happened/received some communication from Plisson by now. I’m somewhat more hopeful of resolving thru PayPal, but not sure how much more time and energy I want to expend on this.
Looks like a standard response to a different question. Your issue is that the knot is not set correctly in the handle. You are not asking about the hair. I suggest you try again and just say straight out that the knot is not seated correctly.

I am not at all surprised with respect to your experience with Plisson customer service. I too have found their customer service hit-or-miss when asking questions about products. Many emails went unanswered. It's a pity because I really like their brushes.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

To be honest, this is exactly the response I had expected. "Imperfections that contribute to charm and uniqueness" is utter bull****. So, there I have said it. It is nothing else than they do not care and have no or very poor quality control. Some do not care if they get such a bad brush, others, like most of us, think it is a totally unacceptable. Some of their brushes go way into the high hundreds of Euros, on their site the horn brush they show - their most expensive - also has a knot showing that is not very good looking.
Another company I see often, have lofts that are all over the place, also often marked as the "charm of an artisan, hand made product" by a lot of wet shavers, but it is bad quality. I try to set my loft within +/- 1 mm, often even less. It is easily doable if you care for your product and want repeat customers. Rarely have I seen a miss-shaped knot like this. If I ever get one from my main suppliers, I would send it back and not sell it to my customers.

@Mr. Shavington - Ah yes, a little humor is always good. And right, I did state to Plisson that my concern was how the knot was set. Just seems they are not interested in taking time to send an applicable response as opposed to a canned response.

@anoop - This was my first time ordering direct from Plisson and it will be my last. I too enjoy their brushes.

@Rudy Vey - Thank you for your candor and perspective. It definitely adds to the knowledge base.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I got lucky. I had a good Plisson quality wise, but I did not like it because it was gelled to the hilt. I am not a fan of that feel. It went down the road on the Auction site.

I agree with others that have said basically Plisson talks a great game and makes some nice product (if you get a good one), if you don't you may as well spit into the wind.

I have always dreamed of a Plisson high mountain white badger in a natural horn handle in size 16. I also really liked the brushes from the JORIS series. But I postponed the purchase, then I waited for my anniversary, then I looked for another reason. I am very sorry that you have such a sad story with Plisson. This is not an office located in a dirty basement in Shanghai. This is a French manufactory with a history of 1808. Very strange behavior of the company. Now I will think 1000 times before I start thinking about Plisson. I don't want to play the lottery. Too expensive lottery, imho. Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I sympathize! The brush really winks ironically. If everything you said is true, shame on Plisson! The shame is not that the node sits crookedly, because the one who does nothing is not wrong, but for the attitude towards the client. They forgot the holy rule!
P.S. They must have overeaten the foie gras...

I will mildly suggest that after this knot has bloomed from use, this defect will be invisible.
I am wondering the same, but then it is also hard to judge a product based on the pictures. I have received a Muhle brush which was looking similar and after one use it was all good so then I think it was just pressed more on one side inside the packaging.

To my eyes, the knot appears to be set at an angle. Functionally, I’m sure the brush is fine. It is just the odd look that I find distracting. Does this knot appear normal to you and within range of handmade variation?
Did you use it couple of times? Is the knot still leaning towards one side?

Top Bottom