What's new

Please recommend a razor

I'd like to add that if you've got blades from 5 years ago you've covered both extremes of the spectrum - exceedingly sharp (Feather) and what many people would consider exceedingly dull (old Derby).

Given your sensitive skin and tough beard you may be better served with a blade sampler. Maybe Gillette Yellow, Personna Med Prep/Lab, PolSilver SI, etc.

+1

Since the OP has a fairly stiff beard, Derby Extras probably won't cut it, literally. Since he has not shaved in five years, Feather blades are going to be way to sharp, at least for the first few shaves until the skin gets used to the idea of shaving. The 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, Polsilver, Rapira Platinum Lux and Voskhod blade are mid-sharp blades that would be ideal for starting off with the thoughts of going to sharper blades as the OP gains experience.

The reason I do not recommend Personna Comfort Coated Lab Blues is that they blades change character significantly as the coating wears off. They start out very smooth and mid-sharp but after a shave or two become significantly sharper. For someone not expecting that change, the result can be bloody.

I ordered the Razorock Game Changer on Tuesday night, it turned up today. That's pretty good, where i live. The seller was vshod.com. They sent me a range of blades, which was a nice bonus. The razor looks and feels robust and precise, I can't fault the machining or polishing. I'll update when I've given it a go. The tips on blade selection are appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF3797.JPG
    DSCF3797.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
I ordered the Razorock Game Changer on Tuesday night, it turned up today. That's pretty good, where i live. The seller was vshod.com. They sent me a range of blades, which was a nice bonus. The razor looks and feels robust and precise, I can't fault the machining or polishing. I'll update when I've given it a go. The tips on blade selection are appreciated.

Beauty!! I really like the Voskhod in my GC.
Enjoy your new razor!

Top Bottom