What's new

Please Help Me Find The Softest Synthetic Brush

Hey Guys
Three new brushes came in the mail today.

PXL_20220806_160808361.PORTRAIT.jpg

L to R: 1.PAA "Solar Flare" 2.AP "Cashmere" 3.AP "G5C"

I have already shaved today so I will just make comments based on face and neck feel WITHOUT actually shaving. My wife also had similar opinions.

The Solar Flare and the Cashmere brushes seem to be be very similar. The fan knots are cut a little different on top. I think the AP will apply lather more to my liking due to the flatter fan shape. There is little backbone in either brush but I think they will easily work with a hard soap. I am thinking they will have a more painterly brush stroke and less splay than the G5C. Both brushes are extremely soft on my cheeks and would probably be good for someone that feels brush burn or has sensitive skin.

The AP G5C is a little different. It holds more water than the two other brushes. When wet, it fans out more and holds it shape well. The fibers have a wrinkle shape and resemble a good badger. The G5C also has more backbone, a shorter vertical loft and will probably splay easier than the other brushes.

I look forward to using all three brushes. If I had purchased only two brushes, I would have left out the Solar Flare due to my personal preference of the fan shape on the Cashmere.

Hey Guys
Three new brushes came in the mail today.

View attachment 1500292

L to R: 1.PAA "Solar Flare" 2.AP "Cashmere" 3.AP "G5C"

I have already shaved today so I will just make comments based on face and neck feel WITHOUT actually shaving. My wife also had similar opinions.

The Solar Flare and the Cashmere brushes seem to be be very similar. The fan knots are cut a little different on top. I think the AP will apply lather more to my liking due to the flatter fan shape. There is little backbone in either brush but I think they will easily work with a hard soap. I am thinking they will have a more painterly brush stroke and less splay than the G5C. Both brushes are extremely soft on my cheeks and would probably be good for someone that feels brush burn or has sensitive skin.

The AP G5C is a little different. It holds more water than the two other brushes. When wet, it fans out more and holds it shape well. The fibers have a wrinkle shape and resemble a good badger. The G5C also has more backbone, a shorter vertical loft and will probably splay easier than the other brushes.

I look forward to using all three brushes. If I had purchased only two brushes, I would have left out the Solar Flare due to my personal preference of the fan shape on the Cashmere.
Curious if you’re able to provide any more details on the brushes yet?

Curious if you’re able to provide any more details on the brushes yet?
I have shaved with all three brushes. I still think my initial impressions were good, IMHO! The Cashmere and Solar Flare are good for face painters. They can definitely mix lather but when applying lather to the face, they act like a paint brush...which isn't bad for someone with sensitive skin. The G5C by AP is different. The tips are very soft. It is more versatile for lathering the face because it will hold its shape. I can paint softly or use a little backbone to splay the fibers. I have already bought another G5C from a different vendor as backup.

Guys, I placed an order today for the following items:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - 24mm Nexus Hybrid Synth Brush - The Solar Flare
AP Shave Co. - 24mm Cashmere Fan - Synthetic Shaving Brush
AP Shave Co. - 24mm G5C - Synthetic Shaving Brush - Semi-Transparent Yellow Handle

THANKS for all the advice and input
You bought three fantastic brushes, which is possibly two more than you needed, lol. Enjoy!

I would recommend the Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid brush from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. It is very soft and easy to paint with. It performs well with all of my soaps and creams and is easy to clean after use. I would assume all of the brushes offered by PAA are in the ballpark you are looking for. All of the brushes are the same price too if I remember correctly at $19 and some change.
I’m new to the synthetic brush came (been using a best badger for 15+ years) and I have an aerolite en route. I think it will suit my needs well. The Razorock Bruce is great. Very surprising how good it is.

The softest I have come across is definitely the motherlode knot.

View attachment 1495726

It is softer tips and less backbone than the "gentle breeze":

View attachment 1495728

Check this site for a reference on knots too:

"Recent new additions include the Motherlode, Synbad, Ghost and SilkSmoke. The Motherlode knot is the densest, plushest, softest knot out there, bar none - but... It is actually a modified makeup brush knot rather than a purpose-built shaving knot."
That mother lode brush is beautiful! Beautiful knot and handle. Sheesh! Well done

This is my softest synthetic, it's a dream if you like super soft synthetic brushes. While I love the brush. I hate the handle. I use Italian barbers Bruce which is plissoft I think and have use the paa plissoft too, the one in the blue handle.

That link has a great synthetic brush chart.
Just used the Motherlode from Boti… beautiful looking brush! yeah, unbelievably soft, Very luxurious, builds great lather, virtually no backbone. Not sure yet if that’s a positive or not.

Just used the Motherlode from Boti… beautiful looking brush! yeah, unbelievably soft, Very luxurious, builds great lather, virtually no backbone. Not sure yet if that’s a positive or not.
That's what sort of makes it fun because we shavers are all over the map of what we like.
It's even fine for guys to change their mind about whatever it is over time,
makes it interesting.
The Motherlode is mostly all I've been using personally, and have kind of shifted from both lathering to face lathering, go figure.

That's what sort of makes it fun because we shavers are all over the map of what we like.
It's even fine for guys to change their mind about whatever it is over time,
makes it interesting.
The Motherlode is mostly all I've been using personally, and have kind of shifted from both lathering to face lathering, go figure.
Indeed. I need more data points with this one before forming an opinion. I absolutely love the look of it. Given how unique it is in aesthetics and feel, I don’t imagine this is one I will part with. It may not be my favorite now, but as you mention, our tastes change.

Top Bottom