What's new

Please Help Me Find The Softest Synthetic Brush

Hello Guys

I have really sensitive skin. I own a few silvertips from Simpson, Shavemac and others. None of them are as soft as the synthetics.

I have 3 synthetics, a Simpson Traflagar, Razorock Silvertip Plissoft and a Fendrahan synthetic.
I am mostly a face painter and don't need a lot of backbone. I am thinking about a 24-26 mm width and a medium height. I enjoy a fan or bloom shaped head.

I read that there are a new generation of synthetic fibers that may be softer than what I own. Any leads, suggestions or information would be appriciated!

Excuse the self promotion, but also check out @thombrogan's new G5

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don’t know your price range but I’d buy an Omega Evo Original or a 2.0. I started out with a ESC Ultimate G4 brush that I still love, btw but got in a bit of a panic when I tried 4 other synthetic brushes recommended here and disliked everyone of them.

Finally Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers recommended the Evo. I absolutely love it. I realize YMMV and all that, but it really is an excellent brush. They aren’t inexpensive though.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I don’t know your price range but I’d buy an Omega Evo Original or a 2.0. I started out with a ESC Ultimate G4 brush that I still love, btw but got in a bit of a panic when I tried 4 other synthetic brushes recommended here and disliked everyone of them.

Finally Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers recommended the Evo. I absolutely love it. I realize YMMV and all that, but it really is an excellent brush. They aren’t inexpensive though.
Ditto.

Full disclosure: I have a strong preference for Zenith boars and Shavemac 2-band silvertip bulb badgers. But for travel, I have two synthetics: an Omega Evo original and a Simpson Trafalgar. The Evo is superior - thick, soft and floppy. You could paint a picket fence with it. But I usually pack the Simpson - less dense so it dries more quickly.

Best wishes, and please share your ultimate decision!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ditto.

Full disclosure: I have a strong preference for Zenith boars and Shavemac 2-band silvertip bulb badgers. But for travel, I have two synthetics: an Omega Evo original and a Simpson Trafalgar. The Evo is superior - thick, soft and floppy. You could paint a picket fence with it. But I usually pack the Simpson - less dense so it dries more quickly.

Best wishes, and please share your ultimate decision!
I couldn't agree more. I had no idea how good natural bristle brushes are until I got my Misturas.... then I bought a small collection of boars, including 3 Zeniths... they are my favorites. I got a Zenith Manchurian badger with the 506 copper handle... very, very nice... then 5 more badgers. LOL... I started the brush search back in the middle of May. I'm very content now.

Hello Guys

I have really sensitive skin. I own a few silvertips from Simpson, Shavemac and others. None of them are as soft as the synthetics.

I have 3 synthetics, a Simpson Traflagar, Razorock Silvertip Plissoft and a Fendrahan synthetic.
I am mostly a face painter and don't need a lot of backbone. I am thinking about a 24-26 mm width and a medium height. I enjoy a fan or bloom shaped head.

I read that there are a new generation of synthetic fibers that may be softer than what I own. Any leads, suggestions or information would be appriciated!
If you want something softer than a Plissoft, you would probably like the Phoenix Solar Flare brush.

1659038636080.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
One of the fellows on this forum PIFed this RazoRock MOKASOFT 24mm knot bee hive brush because it was to soft & he needed more backbone for scrubbing I believe he was after. I have some Yaqi knots that are great painters and heavenly cloud like soft tips of luxury feeling.
1659038345788.png

have some great shaves!

Guys,

THANKS for the quick replies!
I am in the July GRUME group so I won't be making any purchases for a few more days.
The Omega Evo 2.0 is looking good. From what I have read, the fibers are more crooked than the original Evo.
I have already tried the plisoft fiber and found it too stiff and springy. Same for the Simpson Traflagar.
I have done some reading about the G5 brushes and looked at the AP line.
Decisions! Decisions!
My budget is $100-150 US.

The softest I have come across is definitely the motherlode knot.

20220720_201303.jpg

It is softer tips and less backbone than the "gentle breeze":

20220728_165415~2.jpg

Check this site for a reference on knots too:

"Recent new additions include the Motherlode, Synbad, Ghost and SilkSmoke. The Motherlode knot is the densest, plushest, softest knot out there, bar none - but... It is actually a modified makeup brush knot rather than a purpose-built shaving knot."

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
AP ShaveCo Cashmere is the softest knot I’ve used. Maybe the Mother Lode is softer?

I’ve used/use the following synthetics and list them here starting with the softest and getting progressively rougher and then will add a “yeah, but” as @APBinNCA was kind enough to summon me:

AP ShaveCo Cashmere
AP ShaveCo Silksmoke
Ω Ξvo V1
AP ShaveCo G5A
RazoRock Plissoft Noir
Maggards Tuxedo

Now the “yeah, but…”

With the brushes’ bristles bone dry, the tips of the Ω Ξvo V1 feel softer than those of the AP ShaveCo G5A. Covered in lather, they feel equally soft, but the G5A is denser and feels gentle even when mashed into the face while overdoing the lathering ritual. The Ξvo V1 doesn’t. No idea about the V2.

The Plissoft Noir and Maggards Tuxedo are both very soft and excellent, but not as soft as the other four and I can give myself brush burn with them without excessive amounts of excessive effort.

The softest I have come across is definitely the motherlode knot.

View attachment 1495726

It is softer tips and less backbone than the "gentle breeze":

View attachment 1495728

Check this site for a reference on knots too:

"Recent new additions include the Motherlode, Synbad, Ghost and SilkSmoke. The Motherlode knot is the densest, plushest, softest knot out there, bar none - but... It is actually a modified makeup brush knot rather than a purpose-built shaving knot."
I have the Motherload brush & it lathers a lot of different soaps with ease including PdP triple milled soaps.!:thumbup:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a Muhle STF and it is absolutely the best and softest brush I own. I wanted a brush for face lathering and although mine is only a 21mm it is an absolute pleasure.
For something a bit cheaper try the Yaqi Purple Haze with the brown mew knot, it is a bit floppy, but still very soft.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'd get an AP Shave Co Cashmere. For a soft knot with a bit more backbone, try their Silksmoke knot. After those two, for me, it's kind of a tossup between a Synbad knot or a Timberwolf knot. But that Cashmere is super soft. I have two.

Top Bottom