What's new

Please Help Me Find The Softest Synthetic Brush

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know much about synthetics, but I like my original Evo (not the 2.0). To me it feels like a very soft decent enough silvertip badger three band.

Some synthetics are springy. Some don't splay properly. Some simply aren't much fun to use. The world of synthetics is as YMMV as any other rabbit hole.

Softness shouldn't be the only consideration.

My Evo was acquired after a great deal of thought and extremely helpful input and advice from members much more into synthetics and much more informed than me. I believe I picked an excellent synthetic. The Evo is an excellent brush with no downsides.

Other brushes I considered included the Muhle STF, the Zenith synthetic, and the Simpsons. Just about any synthetic one can find has its fans.

Rave @Raven Koenes seems to have tried many of the inexpensive cheap synthetics but finally acquired an Evo. It says it's the best brush in the world.

In my opinion, the Evo's knot seems smaller than its nominal size. I think most anyone who likes 24 mm knots would find it suitable. I'd prefer it to be larger, but that's in no way a complaint about the brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
OK Guys thank you for the advice.
I am leaning toward the G5 series or Evo 2.0.
I live in the U.S. and around August 1st will probably pick one depending on availability and shipment time.
I know it has to be soft, smooth and luxurious on the face. I want to know more about specific knot designs.
A fan, cashmere, gentle breeze or other wide knot is preferred. I am thinking about 26 or 28mm knot.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
OK Guys thank you for the advice.
I am leaning toward the G5 series or Evo 2.0.
I live in the U.S. and around August 1st will probably pick one depending on availability and shipment time.
I know it has to be soft, smooth and luxurious on the face. I want to know more about specific knot designs.
A fan, cashmere, gentle breeze or other wide knot is preferred. I am thinking about 26 or 28mm knot.
AP Shave Co Cashmere is an extremely soft and non-irritating knot. You can get one in a nice looking AP Shave Co handle for under US$20 including shipping

Guys,

I will finish GRUME in a couple days.

I am leaning toward buying two brushes, a 24mm cashmere and a 26mm G5C fan -both by AP Shave Co.

If anyone knows about current availability of the Omega Evo 2.0 in the U.S., please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice!
John

I just checked and the Omegi are sold out at The Razor Company, don't know where else to get them. If you are going to get a 26mm G5C, I would get a handle that has at least a 28mm opening. My 24mm filled up the 27mm opening and I can't see how a 26 would fit!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just checked and the Omegi are sold out at The Razor Company, don't know where else to get them. If you are going to get a 26mm G5C, I would get a handle that has at least a 28mm opening. My 24mm filled up the 27mm opening and I can't see how a 26 would fit!
Aaron,

Jason at The Razor Company said to keep checking.... they get new Evo's in all the time. Omega isn't exactly the easiest company with which to do business.... and it does take a while to get stuff here from Italy... that I can confirm. <eg>

I know lots of people are holding out for the Evo 2.0... but as I said above, Jason has used both.. and in actual use, he can't feel any difference.

I bought a Yaqi purple haze brush a few months ago and it definitely lives up to the claim that its the softest brush Yaqi makes. Super soft, feather like tips. Just enough back bone that it isn't floppy but not enough to make it springy or effortful to splay. Mine has no glue bump but with cheap brushes thats luck of the draw and it holds and makes lather really, really well. The bristles are quite fine, finer than my Everest with the G4. The handle is really quite nice too. Well designed and comfortable to hold and is a good purple colour.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think rating "really soft" is super subjective!
What might be really soft, might not be for me.
I only use synthetics and for me the Razorock Plissoft brushes are soft and of super quality for the price.
As always, YMMV!
So much of shaving is subjective. Even handle design.... I've seen some handles that are off-putting to me posted with pride here. I heartily agree.... what one person thinks is soft, other people take issue with.

I would recommend the Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid brush from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. It is very soft and easy to paint with. It performs well with all of my soaps and creams and is easy to clean after use. I would assume all of the brushes offered by PAA are in the ballpark you are looking for. All of the brushes are the same price too if I remember correctly at $19 and some change.

Guys, I placed an order today for the following items:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - 24mm Nexus Hybrid Synth Brush - The Solar Flare
AP Shave Co. - 24mm Cashmere Fan - Synthetic Shaving Brush
AP Shave Co. - 24mm G5C - Synthetic Shaving Brush - Semi-Transparent Yellow Handle

THANKS for all the advice and input

AP Shave Co. - 24mm G5C - Synthetic Shaving Brush - Semi-Transparent Yellow Handle

I am trying to narrow down some soaps and blades first but going to be really curious what you think of those :) as brushes are on my next to find “THE ONE”

I have the one synthetic I love is just the tri color from italian barber but one thing I do not like is that tiny bit of face poke feel when face lathering painting style its fine but when it fans out yeah I can feel it a touch more than I want so been using my badger again more ? But love the quick dry lather building and easy maint of the synths :)

So at least for me will be curious which one has less of that tiny bit of tip poke feel :) and what you think over all !

those 3 brushes were all on my want to try list along with the Muhle whatever it is so many talk about and then reckon I would go from there :)

I am trying to narrow down some soaps and blades first but going to be really curious what you think of those :) as brushes are on my next to find “THE ONE”

I have the one synthetic I love is just the tri color from italian barber but one thing I do not like is that tiny bit of face poke feel when face lathering painting style its fine but when it fans out yeah I can feel it a touch more than I want so been using my badger again more ? But love the quick dry lather building and easy maint of the synths :)

So at least for me will be curious which one has less of that tiny bit of tip poke feel :) and what you think over all !

those 3 brushes were all on my want to try list along with the Muhle whatever it is so many talk about and then reckon I would go from there :)

I will be glad to give a mini-review and photos when the brushes arrive.

All three brushes were purchased at The Razor Co. They currently have a coupon code for 15% off until August 3rd. The code is on their Home page.

3 great choices! I hope you enjoy all 3.

Let us know how those brushes are for you.

Top Bottom