What's new

Synthetics, they're all kind of similar or is it me?

I hate synthetic brushes. I would rather use the cheapest boar hair brush than a synthetic the fibers are too stiff they don’t work well on my face. It’s about the equivalent of using a paint brush.

The more I read about Yaqi and their knots, the more I'm confused...

I've also read contradictory statements like Yaqi plisson being harder to splay vs tuxedo but a video claiming the opposite.

I think Yaqi have made a huge mess with no clear information on the knots. Are knots always identifiable with their color? Because I've also read Yaqi uses the same synthetic fiber for most of their knots and sometimes they dye them different colors.

I want to try Muhle STF 21mm but it already costs 5 times the Yaqi (I'm not in ConUS). I am almost certain I am not going to find it much different than a Yaqi. Is the XL STF the only one that will be noticeably different or better than run of the mill Yaqis?

The Yaqi I am currently eyeing in is the Black Marble (R15101601). 24mm, High loft, plisson style/color/knot? This seems it will be good for bowl lathering (high loft, less chance of clanging handle), is supposedly a bit easier to splay and bend than a tuxedo knot, and has supposedly very soft tips. Good for painting. But who knows... Also is this the older blond fiber or the newer white fiber plisson? Maybe the difference is so subtle that I may not be able to tell the difference 😅

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
For the buyer or the seller? :)

That's a really good question! Although I've never really thought about it before, I'd guess some sellers thrive on customer confusion.

But I posted from a buyer's perspective. I buyer with a false sense of clarity can get burned where one who hesitates on account of confusion might spare himself later regret.

I'd rather be confused by the BS surrounding labels like "Finest" than believe I have a handle on its clear meaning in the broad context of badger-hair knot description.

Top Bottom