What's new

Advice for choosing first synthetic brush

Hello,
First of all congratulations for the nice forum!

I'm writing this post because I'm about to buy my first synthetic brush and I have almost no knowledge in the field, other than theoretical knowledge gained from the internet.

I would like to ask the more experienced to direct me to a make and model that you think is the best fit.
For now, I only know that I want it to be large, or in the last case, medium sized (meaning a minimum knot of 26 mm). Also, I would like the back to not be too soft, like most budget brushes with synthetic fibers.
The models I liked at first sight and tried to find information about them are Omega evo 2.0 and Omega roma colosseo, but I found almost nothing written here by real owners.
I also looked at the Simpsons models, trafalgar t3 and the more expensive Chubby 3, thinking that the latter with the new generation of fibers, but it turned out to be the same as the T3 - Sovereign. So maybe it's not reasonable to spend a higher amount for almost the same brush?
On the budget, if the brush is really worth it, I won't compromise. Within reason, of course.

Greetings and thanks!

Hello,

I'm writing this post because I'm about to buy my first synthetic brush and I have almost no knowledge in the field, other than theoretical knowledge gained from the internet.

I would like to ask the more experienced to direct me to a make and model that you think is the best fit.
For now, I only know that I want it to be large, or in the last case, medium sized (meaning a minimum knot of 26 mm). Also, I would like the back to not be too soft, like most budget brushes with synthetic fibers.
The models I liked at first sight and tried to find information about them are Omega evo 2.0 and Omega roma colosseo, but I found almost nothing written here by real owners.
I also looked at the Simpsons models, trafalgar t3 and the more expensive Chubby 3, thinking that the latter with the new generation of fibers, but it turned out to be the same as the T3 - Sovereign. So maybe it's not reasonable to spend a higher amount for almost the same brush?
On the budget, if the brush is really worth it, I won't compromise. Within reason, of course.

Greetings and thanks!

I'm no connoisseur of shaving brushes, but I'll go on record as saying I've used a Trafalgar T3 for quite some time and I like it a lot. Like most everything shaving-related, though, brushes are very much a matter of personal preference. If you have specific questions about this brush, I'll do my best to answer them. Bear in mind I won't really be able to tell you how brush X compares to brush Y because I've used very few. Shaving is something I do for a few minutes a day, few times a week so I'm not really all that particular when it comes to things like my brush.

Last edited:
I'm no connoisseur of shaving brushes, but I'll go on record as saying I've used a Trafalgar T3 for quite some time and I like it a lot. Like most everything shaving-related, though, brushes are very much a matter of personal preference. If you have specific questions about this brush, I'll do my best to answer them. Bear in mind I won't really be able to tell you how brush X compares to brush Y because I've used very few. Shaving is something I do for a few minutes a day, few times a week so I'm not really all that particular when it comes to things like my brush.
Thanks for tuning in!
You're really right that the first thing I wanted to do is ask you how it compares to, say, the Omega EVO 2.0. But apparently, that falls away.
Therefore, please tell, do you observe hair fall from the strand? How does it feel when rubbed into the face, the strand itself, isn't it too soft?

You mention you’re looking for your first synthetic - have you used any other brushes in the past that were natural hair? If so, what qualities did you like from those brushes? What did you dislike?

Like the above user mentioned, there is a ton of different synthetics available, most here will let you know the few they’ve tried and liked. But if you have an idea of what you might like or dislike from a previous brush, folks here will be able to help guide you a litter better!

The T3 for example is a very short loft which leads to lot less splay and lots of backbone. Some hate it and can’t get it to splay. Others love it and enjoy the scrubbiness of it.

TL;DR If you give some sort of baseline we will be able to help better :)

I'm also not an expert, but I've tried a few inexpensive synthetic brushes, and not been impressed.

The only one I enjoy using (and I go back-and-forth between it, and an old Plisson badger brush) is a RazoRock "Tuxedo" 24mm barrel-handle brush:

It's $20 Cdn, probably around $15 US. There may be better synthetic brushes around, but that one works for me, and it's a really good product for the money.

If you want a bigger brush, there's a similar 26mm model, for a similar price:

Some things in shaving really matter -- the blade, the razor, the soap. The brush -- I'm not sure about that.

. Charles

If you have never used a synthetic it might be a good idea to try one of the RR Plissoft models. That was my first synth brush that I thought really gave some competition to nicer natural brushes. They are also fairly cheap, so the risk is low.

If you end up liking it and want to splash out on a fancier synth brush then you know what do to.

As of now I barely use the natural brushes I kept and I still have some nice ones. I am hoping to try a Muhle synth STF soon.

Thanks for tuning in!
You're really right that the first thing I wanted to do is ask you how it compares to, say, the Omega EVO 2.0. But apparently, that falls away.
Therefore, please tell, do you observe hair fall from the strand? How does it feel when rubbed into the face, the strand itself, isn't it too soft?
I actually have a few Trafalgar brushes and of the three, one of them had a loose fiber on arrival; no other shedding.

The T3 is kind of stiff, but will splay if pressed. There is some scratchiness to it, but not a lot. I would say it's soft, with a small amount of backbone. I find it soft, but not TOO soft. But as I said, it's a matter of personal preference.

Hello,

Greetings and thanks!
I tend to use Boar brushes more often than Synthetics but recently came into possesion of one from
@apshaveco and would highly recommend checking his website!
20231101_012831.jpg

Its a fantastic brush, soft with a decent backbone, and not hard on the eyes in my opinion. Its a 26mm G5C knot.

Jay

You mention you’re looking for your first synthetic - have you used any other brushes in the past that were natural hair? If so, what qualities did you like from those brushes? What did you dislike?

Like the above user mentioned, there is a ton of different synthetics available, most here will let you know the few they’ve tried and liked. But if you have an idea of what you might like or dislike from a previous brush, folks here will be able to help guide you a litter better!

The T3 for example is a very short loft which leads to lot less splay and lots of backbone. Some hate it and can’t get it to splay. Others love it and enjoy the scrubbiness of it.

TL;DR If you give some sort of baseline we will be able to help better :)
Now I have three hog hair brushes of different sizes, the main problem is that I have to soak them in water before use to soften them. But even when they soften, it takes too long to work on the foam bowl until it's the way I like it. I have tried a badger brush which makes a lovely lather very quickly, but I didn't like it because it was too fragile, without a good foundation. It bent in all directions and I had to grab the strand instead of the handle because it didn't have any backbone.
So I think a nice synthetic brush with soft bristles and a sturdy backbone will give me the best of both worlds. From the few reviews I've seen on YouTube, I understand that the Omega EVO 2.0 is very close to these requirements, but I also see negative comments.
I've read good reviews about the MÜHLE classic XL with a 25mm knot and their Silvertip Fibre, but also very little information.

If you have never used a synthetic it might be a good idea to try one of the RR Plissoft models. That was my first synth brush that I thought really gave some competition to nicer natural brushes. They are also fairly cheap, so the risk is low.

If you end up liking it and want to splash out on a fancier synth brush then you know what do to.

As of now I barely use the natural brushes I kept and I still have some nice ones. I am hoping to try a Muhle synth STF soon.
I've also read good things about Muhle, but I don't understand exactly which model it is.
My request is, if you can show me, which is the exact model with size XL - 25ml node?
Maybe this one?
1698957113537.jpeg

There are many good synthetics out there, but the best I think is the Muehle STF. Cost maybe more than others, maybe much more, but it is then very best in synthetic knots there is.
Can you link to the exact Muehle model? Thanks!

I've also read good things about Muhle, but I don't understand exactly which model it is.
My request is, if you can show me, which is the exact model with size XL - 25ml node?
Maybe this one?
View attachment 1742482
Muhle makes several brushes with the STF knots. The one I received today has a handle that looks like that, but it is the "large" NOT "extra large". You have to go to the Muhle site and peruse what they have.

Muhle also provides knots to some custom brush makers, so if you have very specific requirements and the budget, you probably want to go that route.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Many have recommended some very good brushes. I'll put in my .02 and recommended a 26 mm Yaqi tuxedo knot, pick a handle that you like. If you're just getting into brushes, soaps and all the fun that is to be had it is a meager investment with sufficient back bone and very good splay.

Some things in shaving really matter -- the blade, the razor, the soap. The brush -- I'm not sure about that.

The brush can matter a lot IMHO/IME. The early synth brushes were not good and neither were scritchy "pure badger" brushes. Don't like low-end boar brushes either, and horsehair tore up my face.

Muhle makes several brushes with the STF knots. The one I received today has a handle that looks like that, but it is the "large" NOT "extra large". You have to go to the Muhle site and peruse what they have.

Muhle also provides knots to some custom brush makers, so if you have very specific requirements and the budget, you probably want to go that route.
I can get this from a local retailer in my country for around 60€. Is this the brush with the correct knot?

Reactions: nav
I can get this from a local retailer in my country for around 60€. Is this the brush with the correct knot?

Yes, just be aware that there are 4 different sizes. The packaging should indicate what size the retailer has. 60 Euros seems like a good deal. Here the "large" is $66 and the "x-large" is $87.

Yes, just be aware that there are 4 different sizes. The packaging should indicate what size the retailer has. 60 Euros seems like a good deal. Here the "large" is $66 and the "x-large" is $87.
Yes, I'm sure it's the XL 25mm size. In another thread on this forum, it is mentioned that the XL size has much more densely spaced fibers than the other sizes, but it is no longer produced, if so that would be a real find.

Nice selection of Mühle STF brushes over at AP Shave Co. I love my 25mm Dark Abalone brush

Top Bottom