What's new

Please help identify these razors.

I have four razors that I need help identifying. Two are vintage that belonged to my dad and the other two are fairly recent but I can't remember what brand/model they are. I'll post photos of each in separate posts in this thread.

Number 1. This is a Gillette T4 Made in England. I think it's a Knack but I'm not sure.

IMG-1939.jpgIMG-1941.jpg

Number 2: The other vintage. I can't see a date code, but I think it's a Gillette.
IMG-1936.jpgIMG-1937.jpgIMG-1938.jpg
Any recommendations on how I might clean it up?

Attachments

• IMG-1935.jpg
    IMG-1935.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 6
I believe #1 is an English Super Speed
Thank you. How can you tell? I looked at the wiki and the Knack looked closer to me, but I've never really paid that much attention to the types. This is just something I'm getting into now. I've mostly been a casual, off-and-on, wet shaver.

Based on replies and doing some more research, I believe #2 is as @garyg stated a "40's' Super Speed. I managed to find "PAT NOS ON PKG" stamped on the bottom of the blade bed which would date it between 1050-1954 per the wiki. I'm thinking about getting this restored.

Based on replies and doing some more research, I believe #2 is as @garyg stated a "40's' Super Speed. I managed to find "PAT NOS ON PKG" stamped on the bottom of the blade bed which would date it between 1050-1954 per the wiki. I'm thinking about getting this restored.
Take a look at Back Roads Gold - https://backroadsgold.com/ Chris Spencer is a Master at cleaning, restoring & replating at a reasonable price & quick turnaround.
Note that if there are a lot of pits & fleabites, he can minimize them, but if too severe, not eliminate altogether.
This is a Gillette Old type he recently replated for me in nickel. It looked a lot gringier than your Super Speed
Nickel Old Type.jpg

Take a look at Back Roads Gold - https://backroadsgold.com/ Chris Spencer is a Master at cleaning, restoring & replating at a reasonable price & quick turnaround.
Note that if there are a lot of pits & fleabites, he can minimize them, but if too severe, not eliminate altogether.
This is a Gillette Old type he recently replated for me in nickel. It looked a lot gringier than your Super Speed
View attachment 1511957
That looks great! Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.

Sounds like you got them figured.
Twist
40s super speed
Baili
Welshi

IMO, IF you wanted to have any of these restored the 40s Superspeed is worth paying for this service. Dont bother with the others. Low cost razors. They will shave, just not worth putting money into.

If you post an image of #2 with the doors open, we can help narrow down the year it was made. It is a Super Speed. When I zoom in tight on your photos, I think I can see a date code of Y1, which places the razor as first quarter 1953. The razor also looks like it is missing its end caps. It is possible to replace those. Razor Emporium sells "new" replacements. I typically scavenge these end caps from other razors that can't be saved. Chris Spencer at backroadsgold.com could make it "new" again, and I believe he also has end caps to repair it.

If that were my dad's razor, I would definitely send it to Chris. He is a master.

Last edited:
If you post an image of #2 with the doors open, we can help narrow down the year it was made. It is a Super Speed. When I zoom in tight on your photos, I think I can see a date code of Y1, which places the razor as first quarter 1953. The razor also looks like it is missing its end caps. It is possible to replace those. Razor Emporium sells "new" replacements. I typically scavenge these end caps from other razors that can't be saved. Chris Spencer at backroadsgold.com could make it "new" again, and I believe he also has end caps to repair it.

If that were my dad's razor, I would definitely send it to Chris. He is a master.

As requested, thanks.

So are the date codes different between the UK and US? I'm pretty sure my dad had this before 1998.
The date codes are not different between the UK and the US. That handle shape has been started in 1979. Until 1990 the handles were green-blue. After that - black. That razor is manufactured in 1998 (I am 200% sure) and there is no way your father had it prior to that. The previous T code is 1973, but the handle shape then wasn't like on your razor.

Top Bottom