What's new

Please Help Identifying Vintage Gillette - Old Type?

Hey Guys,
I picked this up today at a flea market and can't seem to identify what year it is. There is no serial number anywhere to be found, unless it was scrubbed off? Not in the greatest shape as you can see - crack on the handle and couple of bent teeth. Still would be interested to get a date on it. Is it an old type or new? Thanks for any help!
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 8

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Old type, single ring style. Was maybe gold plated or it's totally missing the original silver.
Check closely for a serial number on the threaded part of the handle, it may be faint.

Old type, single ring style. Was maybe gold plated or it's totally missing the original silver.
Check closely for a serial number on the threaded part of the handle, it may be faint.
Thank you Nemo. I can't see anything on the threaded part of the handle for the life of me.

Given that the external barrel is not load bearing, it is purely an aesthetic defect that should not affect performance

Reactions: IAH

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've got a similar one, although the neck is a later version (different taper and not as bulged at the handle joint), also with no serial number. I always figured it was 1928 or so. Super clean, thick cap.

full

According to our Wiki and other sources, Gillette stopped serializing for a year.
"From Oct 18 1927 to Aug 27 1928, there were no serial numbers used".

Could be this.

I've got a similar one, although the neck is a later version (different taper and not as bulged at the handle joint), also with no serial number. I always figured it was 1928 or so. Super clean, thick cap.

full

According to our Wiki and other sources, Gillette stopped serializing for a year.

Could be this.
Ah ok. Interesting. Thanks!

How about this one? My neck is killing me from looking down trying to research Gillette old style razor markings, so I’m giving up hoping that someone with knowledge can help me.

I’ve gathered that there is a lot of variation with Gillette markings, but I can’t find anything similar to this: no Gillette logo and “made in USA” within an oval. No serial numbers that I’m aware of. Is this original? Or maybe a replacement base plate? Is it even a Gillette?

Attachments

• IMG_6316.jpeg
    IMG_6316.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6315.jpeg
    IMG_6315.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 13

full

Could be this.
Year my mother was born.

How about this one? My neck is killing me from looking down trying to research Gillette old style razor markings, so I’m giving up hoping that someone with knowledge can help me.

I’ve gathered that there is a lot of variation with Gillette markings, but I can’t find anything similar to this: no Gillette logo and “made in USA” within an oval. No serial numbers that I’m aware of. Is this original? Or maybe a replacement base plate? Is it even a Gillette?
That's odd.

It looks identical to an English Souplex or Laurel OC head, even down to the round stubby end cap pins. Did they manufacture in the US I wonder. These are both c. early to mid 1930's

Is the end cap really thin?

IMG_20220529_210811848.jpg
Here's my Souplex
IMG_20220602_213007787.jpg
And here's my Laurel.

Both the Souplex and Laurel heads seem essentially identical. They both have markings in oval cartouches too. The Souplex has the brand name in one and the Laurel has Made In England in an oval. The Laurel brand is marked large on the endcap outer.

Fantastic shavers!

Last edited:
That's odd.

It looks identical to an English Souplex or Laurel OC head, even down to the round stubby end cap pins. Did they manufacture in the US I wonder. These are both c. early to mid 1930's

Is the end cap really thin?

View attachment 1792383
Here's my Souplex
View attachment 1792389
And here's my Laurel.

Both the Souplex and Laurel heads seem essentially identical. They both have markings in oval cartouches too. The Souplex has the brand name in one and the Laurel has Made In England in an oval. The Laurel brand is marked large on the endcap outer.

Fantastic shavers!
That’s what stumped me, the oval cartouche around “Made in USA.” I couldn’t find anything similar on any of the Gillette razor websites I found.
I’ve attached additional photos of the head of the razor. As far as I can tell, they look very much like other Gillette old type razors I’ve been looking at online. But I’m no expert by any means. The seller claims the razor came from an older woman that said the razor belonged to her grandfather.

Attachments

• IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6317.jpeg
    IMG_6317.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 4
After finding a photo of a Gillette DE old type online that uses a similar font for the country of origin stamp as on my razor, I am inclined to believe mine is actually a Gillette variant. Check out the photos: Especially note the capital “M” on both; remarkably similar.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6321.jpeg
    IMG_6321.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom