What's new

Please help identify Gillette made in England

I just bought this razor, it was sold as "very rare" Gillette NEW made in England c. 1951.
I have some doubts as I could not find similar razors in the threads on this forum. I tried it, for me it shaves very well.
Would very much appreciate if you help me identify this razor.

Attachments

• 20210807_120931.jpg
    20210807_120931.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
  • 20210807_121050.jpg
    20210807_121050.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 87
  • 20210807_121558.jpg
    20210807_121558.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 83
R

romsitsa

Hello, it's a "Tech", produced for third world countries, late 50ies-early 60ies.

Handle and top looks like a aluminum Spiral Tech from the 60ies
I’m not sure if the base is from Gillette so I go with Richard = Frankenrazor.

Maybe Adam @romsitsa can tell us more about those export runs and why there seems to be no diamond on the base.

In Travel Tech "Made in England" without Gillette Logo - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/travel-tech-made-in-england-without-gillette-logo.600935/

Hello
I believe Gillette stopped using the Gillette logo on British Techs made for the American Market after 1973. They have more of a generic look because of this. Strangely enough Techs made in England and sold in England still used the Gillette logo on the cap until about the late 70's. I have quite a few in travel sets.
I have a first Quarter 1977 and a 2nd Quarter 1979 like yours.
I can't make it out clearly in your photo but it looks like there's a Y letter opposite the 2. This would indicate it's a 2nd Quarter 1978 production razor.

So there is not always a Gillette Logo on the English Techs... I believe that the razor is not a Frankenrazor. I believe that I have seen such OC Techs before.

How interesting, thank you all very much. Just one more picture with the base.

Attachments

• 20210807_124238.jpg
    20210807_124238.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My thoughts are Frankenrazor but I am far from an Expert in these matters.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice score, the open comb Techs are rather scarce. They do shave well @IvanS

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Very cool, didn't know there were open comb Techs. Thanks to all who posted the links, good info.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have read of these open comb English/French tech razors, and seen images, but always thought they were mismatches or not marketed by Gillette as I could not locate one on the Mr.Razor web site. Apparently they were made as late at the 1960s. You learn something new every day, or at least I do 🤣

R

romsitsa

Nacet was a sub-brand of Gillette (originally used to saturate cheap blade market), like 7oclock or Rubie, it can’t have the Gillette emblem as it’s not a Gillette.

Nacet was a sub-brand of Gillette (originally used to saturate cheap blade market), like 7oclock or Rubie, it can’t have the Gillette emblem as it’s not a Gillette.
Yes, I know that. Just like the Rotbarts, that are actually Slim Twists and don't have the Gillette logo.

I noticed something interesting on that yellow display - it says "0.85 NF". That is "new francs" and was used for a short time in the 60s. The question is whether those razors were sold in France or in the colonies (or both).

Top Bottom