What's new

Pleasantly Surprised by SuperMax Platinum

I tried the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum for my SOTD yesterday.

It was a bit of a funky shave because the razor is very different from the weight / balance / aggression I am used to, but the blade seemed to acquit itself nicely. I suspect it is at least as sharp and possibly a bit sharper than the plain SuperMax Platinum. I will be shaving with it again this evening or tomorow AM and will have a better idea, but after the first outing it gets a thumbs up - definitely better than the Super Stainless. This could be the keeper of the current SuperMax line up!

20230723_170507.jpg

I've yet to try the SuperMax Platinum but having tried the
SuperMax Titanium (discontinued)
SuperMax Diamond Edge
Blue Diamond Titanium (discontinued?)

and the Blue Diamond Platinum, the last is my favorite.

If Super Max were going to discontinue a blade, which they apparently have, wouldn't it be a better decision to discontinue a lesser blade in favor of one that might be a better product? Like their Diamond Edge or their Blue Diamond Platinum?

Last edited:
If Super Max were going to discontinue a blade, which they apparently have, wouldn't it be a better decision to discontinue a lesser blade in favor of one that might be a better product? Like their Diamond Edge or their Blue Diamond Platinum?

Haha, well it wouldn't be a first time for them. I consider the discontinued SuperMax Super Platinum to be one of their best ever. The Diamond Edge to me is workable but not great/good but seems to be quite popular in their local mmarket.The SuperMax Titanium is a very forgiving blade if not the sharpest... I'm still hoarding about 100. So far, the BD Platinum hits the sweet spot for me. As to the logic behind their decisions... /shrug

The Diamond Edge to me is workable but not great/good but seems to be quite popular in their local mmarket.

I had intentions of trying some of these other blades that members spoke highly of. But, they were discontinued.

I did buy the Diamond Edge. Some rated this high. My assessment was more like yours. Nothing wrong with it but nothing remarkable about it either.

I see that the SuperMax Platinum and the SuperMax Diamond Edge Platinum are still available.

proxy.php

I had intentions of trying some of these other blades that members spoke highly of. But, they were discontinued.

I did buy the Diamond Edge. Some rated this high. My assessment was more like yours. Nothing wrong with it but nothing remarkable about it either.

I see that the SuperMax Platinum and the SuperMax Diamond Edge Platinum are still available.

proxy.php

I have
Supermax Titanium
Blue Diamond Titanium
and the Supermax BD Platinum

If you wish to try those 3, send me a PM and I'll send you a tuck of each.
I see you're just next door in TN.

Have you tried Gillette Minora Stainless yet?

It's definitely difficult to work out exactly what is current with these blades.

When I was ordering my sample tucks, my criteria was that the blades had to be available by the hundred. If that wasn't an option, which was the case for about half the SuperMax lineup on the site, then I didn't get a sample. My assumption was that if 100 blades weren't an option then that particular blade was probably out of production with limited availability.

So, I think that probably the ones I am trying here are the ones currently in production...but I wouldn't bet heavily on that!

My assumption was that if 100 blades weren't an option then that particular blade was probably out of production with limited availability.

About the same as mine. Although I have ordered pre set sample packs which had discontinued blades or blades that have since been changed.

I have no interest in ordering blades that are discontinued or otherwise no longer readily available. I want to be able to order any blade by a reasonably priced pack of one hundred.

There are some exceptions to this, like with overly expensive K.C.G. where I want to keep a small quantity on hand for comparison purposes.

I have 30 different DE blades that I have in quantities of one hundred or more.

So, I think that probably the ones I am trying here are the ones currently in production...but I wouldn't bet heavily on that!

Hard to be exactly in line with what goes on with DE blades. They come and go rather quickly, for seemingly no reason at all?

Super Max will have you flummoxed. They are famous for having so many sound similar names.

Did ya hear that Shark Platinums?!! Did ya?!

Like trying to scrape off stubble with a pair of rusty garden shears.

This year, I decided to conduct an experiment to see if I can shave daily for a full week using one blade.

I started a thread for this at the beginning of this year.

This week I am shaving with a Shark Platinum. Noting that the TV Shark Week is this week.

Today is day three. Two weeks earlier I shaved with the Lord Big Ben. Wasn't at all thrilled with it. Not all that thrilled with the Shark Platinum either, today was day three!

Last week was the Treet King, which gave me excellent shaves and is on sale at Amazon for $7.99/hundred (about half price).

I personally find the Treets and the SuperMax blades better than the Lord brands.

I like the SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium pretty well. I don't think it's sold anymore (figures). The Blue Diamond Platinum is all right.

For other Indian blades, the best I think is the 7 o'Clock Black, though the price went up a lot from a few years back.

Made in Bangladesh are the sister blades Sharp Titanium and LOI Titanium. Pretty good, IMHO.

For other Indian blades, the best I think is the 7 o'Clock Black, though the price went up a lot from a few years back.

The Black's are definitely my favorite smooth shaving blade. The prices did go through the roof a while back. Fortunately I laid in a good supply! They are currently $33 on Amazon.

However, I did happen to come across the Treet King's which are normally about $15, on sale at Amazon for $7.99.

These are very much like the Black's and at only 1/4 of the price. They were only allowing you to order 100 at a time, but you can return and reorder.

The SuperMax platinum is a good blade. Just wish it lasted longer for me. I’m only able to get 3-4 shaves from them while I can get 7+ shaves from most of the PPI blades

The Black's are definitely my favorite smooth shaving blade. The prices did go through the roof a while back. Fortunately I laid in a good supply! They are currently $33 on Amazon.

However, I did happen to come across the Treet King's which are normally about $15, on sale at Amazon for $7.99.

These are very much like the Black's and at only 1/4 of the price. They were only allowing you to order 100 at a time, but you can return and reorder.

Your threads are gonna be the death of me. All these great deals and good recommendations on blades and I have no more room at the moment for them LOL.

Best value blades available. I bought 100 of each and haven't had a bad one yet. LOI are my #1 choice. It's puzzling why they don't get more traction in B&B.

I had never heard of them before. Another member gifted me some, along with a bunch of Treets.

Didn't realize that they were made in Bangladesh.

Haven't tried one yet, but I have one in the weekly draw box. Maybe it will come up soon?

Just looked them up on Amazon.

proxy.php

Not a lot of reviews but one particularly glowing review says "... My personal experience with these blades continues to be exceptional. I know of no other blade that can give me 15 perfect shaves and 60 highly acceptable shaves..."

This individual also mentions the Excalibur Club.

Don't seem bad for $8 blades (100).

Last edited:
I had never heard of them before. Another member gifted me some, along with a bunch of Treets.

Didn't realize that they were made in Bangladesh.

Haven't tried one yet, but I have one in the weekly draw box. Maybe it will come up soon?

Just looked them up on Amazon.

proxy.php

Not a lot of reviews but one particularly glowing review says "... My personal experience with these blades continues to be exceptional. I know of no other blade that can give me 15 perfect shaves and 60 highly acceptable shaves..."

This individual also mentions the Excalibur Club.

Don't seem bad for $8 blades (100).
These blades were very forgiving for me when I first started DE shaving, the best of the sampler bunch. I had the opposite experience regarding their longevity, though. Still worth the cost.

These blades were very forgiving for me when I first started DE shaving, the best of the sampler bunch. I had the opposite experience regarding their longevity, though. Still worth the cost.

Razor blades are a curious lot. I don't think that I recall any consumer product where you will find such different and often polarized opinions.

I currently have 30-different types of blades on quantities of 100 or more. I have started going through them at the beginning of the year. I went through them randomly last year, jumping around from day to day, until I reached eight shaves.

They are all a bit different, but in :ery smal ways and the shave qualities very by the number of days used.

This year, it is simple and straightforward. Can I use a single blade for one week of daily shaves?

The answer so far is yes and I am fine with that!

Top Bottom