What's new

Pleasantly Surprised by SuperMax Platinum

We interrupt your scheduled programming for a pointless deviation on the subject of a rarely discussed razor blade...

Over the last week I have received about 18 tucks of different Indian and Egyptian blades. For most of my shaving career I have used Feathers or Gillette PPI blades, but with the impending move of Gillette's Russian blade manufacturing to India I thought, "Hey, why not try some of the blades that are already being made in places other than Russia?"

I intend to work my way through most of the Lord and SuperMax ranges, plus a few others. Why not? If anything really stands out, I may pick up a couple 100 of my favourites.

I have to admit that in a lot of instances, the scattered information I have found online about many of these blades didn't bode well, and left me fearing a couple of months of uncomfortable, sub-standard shaves. In particular, few seemed to have anything nice to say about the SuperMax Platinum, so being the contrarian that I am, I decided to make it one of the first blades to be tested.

And I'll be damned if this isn't a very fine blade. It's deceptively sharp and smooth - the kind of blade that feels efficient yet sufficiently forgiving that it encourages you to hunt down every last straggler for a perfect finish. It has delivered a VERY close shave in my GC 0.84, far closer than I anticipated and absolutely on par with some of the better Russian Gillette offerings. If I had to say anything negative, I would note a tiny bit of prickliness, and after the application of aftershave I did notice a minute weeper on my jawline (I rarely get weepers), but that's no doubt down to user error and over-confidence on my part. The overall quality of the shave, combined with the almost complete lack of sting from the Old Spice, inclines me to view this blade very favourably. Longevity remains to be proven, but I usually swap out blades fairly quickly anyway, so provided it can do 2 or 3 comfortable shaves I am happy.

So, based on this initial outing I am really not sure what the nay-sayers have against this blade. The only other Indian blade I have used up to now is the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. That's another surprisingly good blade, and I would consder this one very close in performance. If this is an example of what the unpopular SuperMax blades are like, I am really looking forward to trying the popular ones.

I wonder, does this blade actually have ANY fans at all? Is anyone using it as one of their favourites?

20230701_112204.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review. I’m a fan. These blades are great. I think most of the lord lineup meets or exceeds P&g (rf) blades.

I like these blades as well. I find them sharp and smooth and I usually get 4 good shaves out of them. I've also tried the Supermax Stainless, and they were just kind of ok to me. I found the Platinums to be smoother.

Pleased to see that there are other folks with positive experiences of this blade too.

I can agree that they are probably not quite on par with my "numero uno" blades, but I will refrain from casting final judgement and assigning a spot in my personal pecking order until I have completed the entire tuck (which is going to take a while, given how many blades I have to rotate through).

I was just very surprised, as most of the information I found about these led me to believe that shaving with them would be like trying to scrape off stuble with a rusty pair of garden shears - not at all. "Capable" is exactly the word.

I've also tried the Supermax Stainless, and they were just kind of ok to me. I found the Platinums to be smoother.

The SuperMax Stainless in the green pack are next up in the rotation. Assuming a couple more shaves out of the Platinum, I will see if I can fit in the Stainless as well before the arrival of Shark Week (which will also involve testing "new to me" blades).

I am a fan of several Super-Max blades, so on my recent order from RBC, I bought 2 of each of the Super-Max/Vidyut Metallics currently sold there. The blades I like are the Blue Diamond, Diamond Edge and the Super Stainless in the blue wrappers.

I am a fan of several Super-Max blades, so on my recent order from RBC, I bought 2 of each of the Super-Max/Vidyut Metallics currently sold there. The blades I like are the Blue Diamond, Diamond Edge and the Super Stainless in the blue wrappers.

The Blue Diamond and Diamond Edige are also amongst my purchases. Am I right in thinking that the green and blue Super Stainless are just the same blade in different packaging? I didn't double up on them for that reason.

A local fan here. These are smooth blades. I love the diamond edge supermax more. Excellent bladed.

I know that blades are considered YMMV, but generally speaking if you check out enough opinions you can establish an overall consensus on how a blade performs. I am really surprised that the consensus on these blades isn't more positive. Looking here I see I am not the first person to note the similarity to Indian Wilkinson Sword. As far as I know, those IWS are a well liked blade, although these Platinums are much cheaper.

I first used this in 2017 when I started wet shaving. Since it's $1 for 25 locally, why not?

However it lags behind the russian blades considerably when it comes to smoothness and efficiency.

It just got the job done but it didn't blow me away.

The Blue Diamond and Diamond Edige are also amongst my purchases. Am I right in thinking that the green and blue Super Stainless are just the same blade in different packaging? I didn't double up on them for that reason.
I have no idea. But I have heard that the Super-Max Super Stainless blue wrappers are the same as the brown wrappers aimed at a different market. I have often wondered how many blades are actually the same but in different wrappers.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have diamond edge in the way too. Looking forward to trying these.
Hopefully they are not all the same blades. It would be pretty funny if they all were.

I have no idea. But I have heard that the Super-Max Super Stainless blue wrappers are the same as the brown wrappers aimed at a different market. I have often wondered how many blades are actually the same but in different wrappers.

I have now tried the green super-stainless and the jury is out. At first it seemed like a nice, mid-sharpness blade but by the end of the shave it was giving me trouble. I have actually taken a couple of days off shaving to give my skin a chance to recoup, as testing lots of different blades in succession, many of which were less comfortable for me than my regular choices, was giving me a bit of irritation build up.

It's going to get another run out today in a different razor and we will see how it does. I hadn't done my usual prep when I used it the first time, which was possibly another variable that went against it.

I have a variety of Super Max flavors. I'm pretty sure they change the packaging every few years to keep it fresh. I must have liked them since I have so many but I haven't actually used one in years.

Great review. I’m a fan. These blades are great. I think most of the lord lineup meets or exceeds P&g (rf) blades.

Supermax is made by Vidyut in India. Lord is made in Egypt. As with most manufacturers who offer a wide range of blades, some might not work for you and some might.

I find the Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum blades to be quite nice, but have not tried the Platinum.

I find the Lord Platinum blades to be pretty good, but hate the Shark Super Chrome as they are too dull. Even the Lord platinum are not sharp enough for my 1st pass when I have multiple days beard growth.

Top Bottom