What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Lagavulin is like drinking a campfire. Never had Ardbeg so can't compare, but way smokier than Laphroaig.
Well, Kent was talking the peaty, not the smoky aspect... I didn't find Laphroaig nearly as smoky as some I've tried, but peaty? It was like liquefying moss and wood, then trying to drink it. lol

Lagavulin is like drinking a campfire. Never had Ardbeg so can't compare, but way smokier than Laphroaig.
Ardbeg and Laphroaig are really freaking close for their standard issues. If I'm leaning that way I go with which one is cheaper that week I'm at the store. For the past year Ardbeg has been $5 cheaper a bottle and that adds up for tobacco money ;)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, Kent was talking the peaty, not the smoky aspect... I didn't find Laphroaig nearly as smoky as some I've tried, but peaty? It was like liquefying moss and wood, then trying to drink it. lol

Wait now, I always equated peaty with smoky, but now that you differentiate the two Laphroaig tastes more like a “band aid” than a “campfire” to me, so maybe the flavor I am thinking of IS peaty.

Wait now, I always equated peaty with smoky, but now that you differentiate the two Laphroaig tastes more like a “band aid” than a “campfire” to me, so maybe the flavor I am thinking of IS peaty.
My grandfather owned a family greenhouse business when I was growing up, and used to mix his own potting soil, so there were bags of pure peat around. I've tasted that scent, if that makes sense, in Laphroaig, while others I've tried only had smoke without that, so as far as my taste is concerned, peaty and smokey are two very different things. *shrug* I find Laphroaig very peaty and woody, not so much on the smokey part.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My grandfather owned a family greenhouse business when I was growing up, and used to mix his own potting soil, so there were bags of pure peat around. I've tasted that scent, if that makes sense, in Laphroaig, while others I've tried only had smoke without that, so as far as my taste is concerned, peaty and smokey are two very different things. *shrug* I find Laphroaig very peaty and woody, not so much on the smokey part.

I am going to drink with a little more attention now, and will grab a Lavauglin and Ardberg to taste test.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Enjoying some HH Latakia Flake in my bulldog, while it’s raining cats and dogs.

3530E765-454C-4E59-909B-267B5F5FAA07.jpeg

Top Bottom