What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Price,
I have finally seen the morphing of a meerschaum pipe from your posts. It’s gone from showing the pipe to showing the case of the pipe and then onto no pipe at all. :laugh:

Larry
Happy Rainbow GIF by Morphin
My POTD photos tend to get a bit repetitive in March. I'm just trying to introduce a little variety.

:pipe:

Yesterday afternoon, home a little early, I took up the no-name Lumberman, pre-loaded with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and had nearly a half-hour's smoke. It was odd. Once again I'm trying the loading technique taught to me by Mr. Jansen of his pipe shop in the French Quarter many years ago: Take a big pinch of your tobacco and gently screw it into the bowl. Push it down a little, but not very far. Apparently that provides a bit of an air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. And it does burn well for about fifteen minutes, but then . . . the bowl isn't full, so the burnable leaf is gone. Uh, drawback? Maybe I should edge it down a fraction more and add some kindling on top.

I wiped the bowl, packed in a little more SWRA, and got another ten minutes' time.

Post-workout and -breakfast pipe before I dash out for errands: Peterson My Mixture 965 in the venerable Peterson 307 from the Eighties. I loaded it as Charles Peterson recommended to load a System pipe, with the initial third of the bowl pressed down a little so it slants up toward the airway. So far so good!

This morning, it's Project Digby and BCA. With my best mate, radiant propane heater, at my side this fine January morning.

Benzadmiral, I have been averaging about 40 minutes a bowl with black Cavendish and close to that with other blends by packing the bowl evenly from bottom to top with light to medium pressure from a small headed tamp.

I set the bowl in the snack bag of tobacco and simply feed the tobacco in with the tamp. Repeat about ten times with light/medium pressure until the bowl is almost full. I call it a shoveller technique.

Depending on the tobacco I can get away with one or two relights after I get it started.

Benzadmiral, I have been averaging about 40 minutes a bowl with black Cavendish and close to that with other blends by packing the bowl evenly from bottom to top with light to medium pressure from a small headed tamp.

I set the bowl in the snack bag of tobacco and simply feed the tobacco in with the tamp. Repeat about ten times with light/medium pressure until the bowl is almost full. I call it a shoveller technique.

Depending on the tobacco I can get away with one or two relights after I get it started.
I've tried that, the three-step filling process, the two-step, and maybe some others. Sometimes one works best, sometimes another.

It might also be that I'm a faster puffer than you are. I'm trying to work on that -- but I like seeing the occasional big puff of smoke.

First pipe in a day or so: A mix of Rattray's Stirling Flake and Capstan Blue in the Georg Jensen sandblast straight billiard, the "captain's pipe." After watching some videos on it, I've tried the Frank method of loading. Not sure I did it quite right; the leaf, though it lit well and smoked steadily, has gone out after about fifteen minutes. Clearly more practice is called for!

Top Bottom