What's new

PIF: Straight

Yeah, wear your glasses. You'll be working around them flawlessly in no time.

Congrats and welcome to the dark side. Seraphim has your cookies.

I stropped with newspaper and shaved again, 2 passes WTG and about 1/2 a pass ATG, then finished ATG with my slim. it all went well until I used the DE, from the way my jawline feels I should have used a new blade in it. I did 2/3 of a shave with a straight and drew blood (weeper) with the safety razor. I feel talented right now.
I have no experience to compare it to, but I think the stopping went well.

Good! Sounds like you're getting it. Keep the spine close to flat and take small strokes.
What's the worst that could go wrong? I mean besides cutting your nose off...

I received the strop today, it looks like a The Filly stop with only a few minor nicks and it has chromium oxide on the back. I doubt very much any of the nicks are enough to be a problem, but I'm already nervous about stropping so how do I tell if I need to sand a nick or not? I also received a nearly unused Vulfix No. 26 boar that looks like it'll break in nicely.
Sando and CountZer0 you guys are awesome.

The Filly is a good starter piece. Use the CrOx every so often, about 8-10 strokes and that should get it back to shape.
Run your finger tips lightly over the nicks. Do you feel any flap?
If no, then use a light strop motion to feel any bump.
If yes, I've had good luck slicing the flap off using a razor blade and a loupe.
Awesome? Nah, just giving back to a great group that's helped me so much...

Think of PIFs as a sporadic but low stress way for everyone to try what they like and pass things along if they don't plan on using them, no payment involved = lower stress for me at least. And if you see someone else offering up something you want to try you may get it, or you may not. There are always more people than PIFs if for no other reason than sometimes it's hard to come up with money to even cover shipping. But a lot of people get to pass around a lot of stuff and hopefully get something out of the experience.

Third shave, first time with a leather strop and first time not using a DE for cleanup. Three passes without burn, which is great. I did not get a close shave, but I wasn't expecting it.

4th shave, first time in the morning before going to work. I actually got a DFS. I wasn't expecting to get a shave this good for a while longer. So now I'm fully expecting the overconfidence driven horribly bloody shave to show up soon.

Nah, you got it!
Now it's time to start buying every razor you see.
Remember ... you're saving money!

Yeah... I think I'll wait to find out if the new job I just got is going to keep me around or decide they made a mistake first.
But after that why limit to just razors? I have yet to get a linen/cloth-of-some-kind stop, or a balsa strop, or a 3" strop, or any film for honing, or a tile/something to put the film on..... This list could go on for a while.
But my face feels so nice... I'll come up with the $$ somewhere. Maybe I can stop drinking coffee. I'm sure I could afford something in a month or two. Of course if I stop taking caffeine I may not want to live that long.

Oh, holiday's are really soon. There's always hope.

Top Bottom