What's new

PIF: International New Year Blade Sampler

This looks fantastic. Though I fit all the criteria, I did buy a sampler pack (Feather, Astra SP, Wilkinson Sword (Germany), Voskhod, Personna Red) and recently acquired some Gillette blacks and yellows on a trip to India, and hence can't justify taking a chance away from someone else; I'm not in.

Happy New Year! Don't miss the Newbie blade giveaway, only a few hours remaing. Two winners!

4 x Feather
4 x Nacet
4 x Gillette Silver Blue
4 x Perma-Sharp Super
4 x Personna Med Prep
+
5 x Sharp Star (contributed by @Suhrim21 )
--------------------
25 Blades

🎰 Enter today! 🎰

winners.jpg

The two lucky winners selected using random.org are:

I'll be in touch soon via private message to arrange the shipping details for your blades.

Happy New Year to all!

🥳 2020 🔔 🔔 2020 🥳

I will get the sharp star blades in the mail either saturday or monday. Congrats to the winners and to the others keep an eye out for other ones. There is also the blade exchange here that you can exchange blades to try new ones.

I am super excited. I did a little research and the blades on offer all look really good!

The only blade I haven't tried is the permanent sharp. I think I have a tuck of them if I didn't give it to my brother. But all of the blades are great blades. My favorite is the sharp star blades and rapira platinum lux. I love the feathers in mild razors.

The only blade I haven't tried is the permanent sharp. I think I have a tuck of them if I didn't give it to my brother. But all of the blades are great blades. My favorite is the sharp star blades and rapira platinum lux. I love the feathers in mild razors.

Well, presently my only razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89, which I hear is very much on the mild side. I read that feathers are really sharp, so I might hold off on them until I can get my technique down. I wonder what the better strategy would be in the near future, whether I should continue using the Astra SP blades and establish a baseline, or if I should cycle through them and see if anything just clicks.

I have a Feather Popular coming in from Japan (wanted the Japanese packaging for funsies) but it will be weeks before I see it.

Well, presently my only razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89, which I hear is very much on the mild side. I read that feathers are really sharp, so I might hold off on them until I can get my technique down. I wonder what the better strategy would be in the near future, whether I should continue using the Astra SP blades and establish a baseline, or if I should cycle through them and see if anything just clicks.

I have a Feather Popular coming in from Japan (wanted the Japanese packaging for funsies) but it will be weeks before I see it.
The blades you will be receiving are much better than the Astra SP. You might want to start with the Gillette Silver Blue. Shave with them for a couple weeks. Then you can decide from there when to go with something else.

In general, sharper tools are the best. But it is a good idea to work on your technique. A Feather or Nacet or Personna Med Prep will all work well in the DE89.

The blades you will be receiving are much better than the Astra SP. You might want to start with the Gillette Silver Blue. Shave with them for a couple weeks. Then you can decide from there when to go with something else.

That's surprising to hear. Everything I've read has suggested that Astra SPs are a great value. Glad I only ordered 20, I guess. Cheap mistake. I will take your advice and go through the Silver Blues first!

That's surprising to hear. Everything I've read has suggested that Astra SPs are a great value. Glad I only ordered 20, I guess. Cheap mistake. I will take your advice and go through the Silver Blues first!
They are a great value. They are inexpensive, popular and work OK for many people, depending on their beard type. There are a lot worse blades, but there are a lot better blades.

I hate astral sp. They dont cut my beard hair at all. GSB are great. Nacets are similar in feel for me to the rapira platinum lux. which is one of my favorite 2 blades. The platinum lux are cheaper than Nacets or I would prefer the Nacets. Platinum lux blades are about 10 bucks for 100 on the bay. The sharp star blades were only made for one year and are like the platinum lux blades just a bit smoother and are about 12bucks for 100 on the bay. If all you have used are the astra blades you are in for a treat. You will rediscover wet shaving with these blades and if you think you love wet shaving you are going to drool over it after trying these different blades.

I hate astral sp. They dont cut my beard hair at all. GSB are great. Nacets are similar in feel for me to the rapira platinum lux. which is one of my favorite 2 blades. The platinum lux are cheaper than Nacets or I would prefer the Nacets. Platinum lux blades are about 10 bucks for 100 on the bay. The sharp star blades were only made for one year and are like the platinum lux blades just a bit smoother and are about 12bucks for 100 on the bay. If all you have used are the astra blades you are in for a treat. You will rediscover wet shaving with these blades and if you think you love wet shaving you are going to drool over it after trying these different blades.

I can hardly wait!

I apologize for the delay getting the blades in the mail to you guys. Work has been insane and I have been dealing with a bunch of medical issues lately. My medicine has not been helping.

I apologize for the delay getting the blades in the mail to you guys. Work has been insane and I have been dealing with a bunch of medical issues lately. My medicine has not been helping.

Don't sweat it! You're doing me a kindness, far be it from me to be impatient about it. Focus on taking care of yourself. Hope things get better for you soon!

Top Bottom