What's new

PIF Closed-BBQ cookbook PIF Closed

chairs are here. The wait is said to 2 to 2-1/2 hours. I arrived at 11:30am

How many times have you checked and rechecked to make sure you have your wallet :tongue_sm

When I am going to a concert, airport or somewhere I can't afford to be late, I must check for my wallet/documents every 2-3 minutes until I am through the gates, in my seat etc.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How many times have you checked and rechecked to make sure you have your wallet :tongue_sm

When I am going to a concert, airport or somewhere I can't afford to be late, I must check for my wallet/documents every 2-3 minutes until I am through the gates, in my seat etc.
It's funny you said that. I had to walk back to the truck and get it...lol
I assume they are now open, is the line moving much. Approx. how many people in front of you?

about 30, line moving slowly, but moving. More Pictures later.

I just looked up where Franklin's is after seeing your pic. Last time I was in that part of town (many years ago), it didn't look anything like that!

My wife was in Austin for a conference last week. She asked me if I wanted her to bring anything back, and I said Franklin's brisket.

She said she didn't love me that much.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Getting close...10 people out.

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, I'm home and fully fed. The sun popped out today so I took the advantage and headed one hour due east of Austin for an early morning business meeting (there's nothing like combining business with pleasure). For the return trip I punched in Franllin's BBQ into the phone and left Smithville like a bat out of hell. Parking was OK. I had to walk a full city block. Then I had to walk the distance again because I left my wallet in the truck (How Bruce knew I was going to do that is just weird). We had shade the whole way in line. It was hot but not bad. I starting talking to the guys in front of me. They were cool and I told them I was on fact finding mission. I missed judge how many people were in front of me, but after I got a better view later it was about 150- 200 hungry BBQer's. While waiting, I kept smelling a mixture of ribs and beans....oh yeah!!!

The place is really nothing to look at. I don't care.
$IMG_1067.jpg

Nice crowd
$IMG_1074.jpg

Cutting Ribs
$IMG_1080.jpg

Cutting Brisket
$IMG_1081.jpg

So what was the total wait time, and what is the best plan of action for the shortest wait? I gotta make plans!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I got home and opened a true gift and blessing in life....BBQ baby!!!!!

I got all the meats. From left to right; Smoked turkey, pork ribs, brisket, sausage and pulled pork.
$IMG_1084.jpg $IMG_1086.jpg
$IMG_1089.jpg$IMG_1088.jpg

I bought 2 Cookbooks.
$IMG_1091.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So what was the total wait time, and what is the best plan of action for the shortest wait? I gotta make plans!

The guys in front of my told me the best time is Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday's. Come about 30 minutes to an hour before opening of 11:00 AM. Bring water or beer, but the waiters also went up and down the line and asked if we needed anything...that's good service. There's AC inside, but the majority of the time is outside. There was plenty of seating and inside and out on their covered deck.

The line I was in today was never more than what you see in my first picture. I was standing on the end when I took the shot.

Wait time was 1 hour and 50 minutes.

The place actually surprised me. I wasn't expecting something so beyond my cooking or even the best central Texas has to offer. It was all excellent. The brisket was the star. Nice smoke ring with a salty and peppery bark. Not too smoky either. The sausage casing had a nice snap and the meat was tender and flavorful. The pulled pork had a rich pork/pig/hog taste, not like roast beef or dry. It was not too salty either. The turkey was good too and better than some of the places that do it all the time. The pork ribs were very tender with just a small chew...pink inside, juicy and smoky.

$51.50 worth of BBQ. One pound of brisket and a half a pound of all others. For me and the wife it will make about 6-8 meals.

.............a very good day.

Last edited:
Oh man, all that stuff looks amazing. Juicy, smokey, delicious I bet.

Thanks for posting the updates and pics, looks like it was worth the drive and wait.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm glad you made the BBQ pilgrimage Aaron, you are lucky to have such a great place so close.
Now this gives you something to aim for when you BBQ all of us a Brisket :biggrin1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh man, all that stuff looks amazing. Juicy, smokey, delicious I bet.

Thanks for posting the updates and pics, looks like it was worth the drive and wait.

Your welcome. It was worth the wait and was certainly no big hassle (except the wallet thing).

Now I'm hungry- luckily I have left over Chicken Tikka Masala from yesterday.

I'm headed back to the kitchen to finish off some sausage.

Nice job Aaron! :thumbup:

I didn't have to use my golf chair since the line was short. The had benches inside thank God.

I'm glad you made the BBQ pilgrimage Aaron, you are lucky to have such a great place so close.
Now this gives you something to aim for when you BBQ all of us a Brisket :biggrin1:

I count my blessings when it comes to the quality of BBQ around here. I give the Franklin Barbecue 10 stars...:thumbup:

Top Bottom