What's new

PIF - 5th ever "Shave like a man for an entire year" ~ Veteran's Day edition

Thank you for the review. Since getting my slant, I've find it hard to reach for something else. It just does too good of a job. Barbershop seems to be an elusive scent that means different things to different people. I personally think of Clubman, as it's what my barber used on me growing up.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks guys! Glad you liked the review. Here’s the second one. The star of this morning’s shave was DR Harris Windsor.

C10CAC14-3944-4950-B50D-E0636532A8AF.jpeg

The DR is definitely in! This is one great soap. Check out those royal seals above the logo. The one on the left is the Queen’s and the one on the right is Prince of Wales’. That means they actually use this product. I can’t afford Prince Charles’ clothes, let alone his mansions and cars and brace of polo horses. But isn’t it cool I can shave like him? That’s what’s great about wetshaving - affordable luxury. I dropped the puck in an old TOBS tub and, wouldn’t you know, it’s a perfect fit.

C1D74006-7AEA-4019-810E-B70F8A447E68.jpeg

It lathers up absolutely beautifully. Compared to yesterday's Razorock soap, I'd say the lather is a bit denser and thinner. But it is oh so slick. The scent is hard to describe. Its kind of herbal and spicy - very sophisticated. Its a subtle scent, not overpowering at all. Post shave feel is outstanding. All that tallowy goodness that for some reason the "3 T's" quit using. I'm glad DR Harris stuck with their original formula.

98F20C7E-2352-48B2-B447-5F95FA690DAD.jpeg
There it is on my ugly mug, ready for the Slant to go to work. And go to work it did! Sometimes I don't get a very good shave when my stubble is less than 24 hours, but the Slant was very effective.

You might have heard that the Slant isn't a good daily razor because its a scary, aggressive, Sweeney Todd device that requires exact concentration and perfect technique or you'll turn your face into hamburger. But its not. Its awesome. You just shave with it like normal and, boy, is it one Smooooth Criminal.
D69F1004-E703-42AB-9917-A8206F6D3D57.gif

Annie are you okay?, indeed! Yes, we're very okay with the Slant.

So there you have it, PIF shave #2 in the can. Good news! The PIF aftershaves arrived today at Casa Del Tanker. I look forward to giving those a whirl in the next couple days and posting my impressions. Good night!

tankerjohn

Review number three! Today I wanted to focus on the Razorock 400.

F20A16AA-CC2B-4E2E-B20E-2BAC106C4D3A.jpeg

There it is in hand, to give you sense of its size. As I mentioned before, the handle is quite heavy duty. Easily the weightiest brush handle I've ever used. Its very easy to grip and well balanced. You can either grip the top to handle it like a normal brush or grip the bottom like a screwdriver. I did both.

E915341A-E6E3-44B7-9C61-A8EB526CF611.jpeg

There's another pic to give you perspective on its size. On the left is an Omega Pro 48 and on the right is a Semogue 620. The Razorock's knot has a similar loft to the 620, but is bit wider. Its a good knot size.

5E4C480B-162D-437C-A02F-FCE27C3B9E6F.jpeg

And there it is all splayed out. It is absolutely pillow soft. Zero scrub. As a died-in-the-pig boar brush guy, I do kind of miss the scrub. And I like the process of breaking in a boar brush, feeling the ends split and watching it bloom and all that. But I have to admit that there's something attractive about a brush that just whips up a good lather without any fuss or special care. Synth knots have come a long way in just a few years. Overall, I find this brush very enjoyable to use.

00095347-D89F-4E2C-9943-C83D97DAAFE4.jpeg

Last, but certainly not least, today's aftershave selection. Whiskey Woods is one of the newer Pinaud Clubman aftershaves. Oh boy, its a good one. Its very similar to Special Reserve, but without the smoke and leather and a lighter, cheerier woodiness. If SR is the smoky back room of the gentlemen's club with old leather chairs, smoldering cigars, and dusty books on mahogany shelves, WW is the cocktail bar in the front of the club with shots of whiskey on the walnut bar top next to the open box of cigars. Its a marvelous scent. Like other Pinauds, this one will benefit from the addition of some glycerin and decanting into glass.

tankerjohn

Fourth PIF review coming at you. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Today - Cella Crema da Barba Extra Extra Purissima, the granddaddy of Italian soft soaps. Well, there might be an older one; I'm sure the aficionados will correct me if P-160, Valobra, or Vitos is older. But I think its fair to say that Cella is a staple Italian soap.

C65ECA7F-5E18-45EB-A99C-A7D4D6927701.jpeg

I always use Marco's Method to lather Cella and again it worked beautifully.
C73E425C-12D6-4D6B-BE29-3C2268DA61B0.jpeg

This was my first time using a synthetic brush on Cella. The lather was a little thinner and less creamy than usual. I think I still don't have the water release in the synth knot totally figured out. Nevertheless, the lather was plenty slick and quite usable. It went on the face just fine.

E616F9DD-8BF5-41BA-A0FB-A0A635B0DF3E.jpeg

The scent! Oh, the lovely scent! Its variously described as marzipan or Cherry Coke. I just get a sweet almond aroma, like you might smell baking cookies. I love it. Some people don't. YMMV.

The Slant performed brilliantly as always. Shave complete. What to follow it up with?

DA49708E-6E7C-4D3A-88EB-4764053D77F5.jpeg

28 degrees?! Brrrr! Better break out the VIBR!

623A71D7-72DE-4BC5-B2F9-6B273610C422.jpeg

Burn baby, burn!!!
05BC89A1-20F8-407E-A2B3-B7E504E3BB26.gif

Its actually not that bad. It feels amazing; the burn is just right to warm me up on a chilly morning. This juice also smells great; its a nicely balanced clovey, spicy bay rum that doesn't overpower. It's funny, I don't specifically remember my Dad using VIBR when I was a kid. But as soon as I smelled it the first time as an adult, I instantly recognized it. So I'm sure he did. Sure VIBR is loaded with artificial colors, synthetic fragrance, and various other unpronounceable ingredients. But it feels and smells so good. To me, its like a Hostess Twinkie. No, its not "healthy"; don't stress over it, just enjoy.

Full disclosure: You might have gotten the impression that this is not the first time I've used Cella. And you would be correct! I'm a longtime Cella fanboy. The Cella I shaved with this morning was actually from my stash, and the PIFed tub remains unopened. So to spread the joy of Cella, I will be rePIFing it at some point. If you’re interested, stay up with the PIF threads and you’ll see it eventually. Cheers!

tankerjohn

PIF review number 5! It’s Tabac time!

6D7E7B80-F835-4BD5-982A-EB86C2F020B6.jpeg

Nicely packaged.

36F386DD-4D42-4A1C-BDA0-6F6F06350D5D.jpeg

I really dig the logo stamped on the puck.

38C6B755-8806-40E9-99BD-DA0A90F45D59.jpeg

Of course, the imprint didn’t survive the bloom or first lather. And what a lather! Very thick and slick. Everything you’ve already heard about Tabac. I think got a bit too much water in the initial lather. It was actually better on my second pass when I had it dialed in better.

16B54E0A-4CDA-4BC1-BF63-EFED874C439F.jpeg

So the 500 lbs gorilla in the room is...how did it smell!? Not bad, actually. I mean, its not a scent I would naturally reach for. But it wasn't as bad as I feared. Plus, I kind of knew what was coming since I've had the aftershave for a while. The soap scent is much weaker than the aftershave.

86E36958-F380-4A13-8856-D7AC833A8117.jpeg

You see it there ready for the shave. The slant glided along beautifully, singing as it whacked whiskers. Very excellent. Post shave feel was outstanding, though it had a lot of help from the Tabac AS, which is just wonderful juice.

So there is it! That's all the PIF products. Its going to be a great year! Big thanks again to @Demaskee! And to Cary Grant!

Cary Grant 5.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom