What's new

Pierre Du Sud Ouest Love Show off your Rocks. (AKA Mystery Swirled hone)

I was wondering what some of you experts thought about this stone. I don't have it yet; it's waiting for me in the UK, so these are seller's pictures. But I thought possibly PDSO, that was why I bought it anyway.

It came from a collection of stones that had all sorts of things, including a number of Charnleys and Cotis, so I guess could be one of those too. What do we reckon...?

Circa 8.5 x 2".

View attachment 1490827

View attachment 1490825

View attachment 1490824

View attachment 1490826
If those dots were brown instead of black, I'd say yes. Maybe? It could be but need more imput. The back looks right but the front I 'm not convinced. That color has me thinking no.

Need daylight pics and slurry pics to give a better opinion.

If those dots were brown instead of black, I'd say yes. Maybe? It could be but need more imput. The back looks right but the front I 'm not convinced. That color has me thinking no.

Need daylight pics and slurry pics to give a better opinion.

I shall update in a coupla weeks time!

I’m guessing though once I have it in hand then it’s going to be quite easy to tell what it is...

Last edited:
Pdso possible. If it is, it's old and crazy hard (for pdso). I have ONE pdso like that... It's in a leather pouch that looks like something from a neanderthal cave excavation. Khaki charn also a definite possibility. Coti not impossible either, but the pictures colors would have to be pretty off.

Pdso possible. If it is, it's old and crazy hard (for pdso). I have ONE pdso like that... It's in a leather pouch that looks like something from a neanderthal cave excavation. Khaki charn also a definite possibility. Coti not impossible either, but the pictures colors would have to be pretty off.

Cheers I. Sounds like perhaps it's more likely to be an unusual old Charnley (can't complain!), with an outside possibility of PDSO.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't confuse the two when I've got it in hand, so will report back either way.

(And would be cool to see a pic or two, if you have, of your PDSO in the leather pouch...)

Cheers I. Sounds like perhaps it's more likely to be an unusual old Charnley (can't complain!), with an outside possibility of PDSO.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't confuse the two when I've got it in hand, so will report back either way.

(And would be cool to see a pic or two, if you have, of your PDSO in the leather pouch...)

It's in some group shots I've done somewhere... But remind me in September. I'll be unpacking my stones them and can get pics.

Pictured here but without the pouch.... Pierre Du Sud Ouest Love Show off your Rocks. (AKA Mystery Swirled hone) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/pierre-du-sud-ouest-love-show-off-your-rocks-aka-mystery-swirled-hone.483719/post-10700918

Last edited:
It's in some group shots I've done somewhere... But remind me in September. I'll be unpacking my stones them and can get pics.

Pictured here but without the pouch.... Pierre Du Sud Ouest Love Show off your Rocks. (AKA Mystery Swirled hone) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/pierre-du-sud-ouest-love-show-off-your-rocks-aka-mystery-swirled-hone.483719/post-10700918

Ah yeah I can see a potential similarity there. Ta.

Definitely looking forward to unwrapping that one. And crossing fingers for PDSO, as it's one of not many types of old stone that I don't have.

So I think I've probably scored one here :), but keen to hear what you think @SliceOfLife, @Toro Blanco, and any others...

I was using a 140 Atoma and the stone is surprisingly hard to lap for something that feels like it should be quite soft, though it certainly isn't a novaculite. And it surely not a coti either. Mud is a light grey/brown/yellowish colour.

IMG-9860.JPG

When wet the stone is grey with a bit of green-yellow tint:

IMG-9862.JPG

When dry it's grey with more green tint and less yellow, this is a 400 atoma finish.

IMG-9866.jpg

There are some bits of pink/red colour in it.

IMG-9864.JPG

The stone feels fine, but not super fine and smooth like a Thuri. Though obviously feel to the touch can be deceiving, especially off a diamond plate.

I'll see how it goes later or tomorrow, but I can't think of what else it could be apart from PDSO...

That stone has an SG of 2.70 which is certainly in Charnley territory, though it would be pretty soft for one and has zero degree of translucency. Not sure about it at all, guess I should probably just try out eh!

---

However I was just cleaning and lapping another stone which I definitely think is PDSO...

It's the stone on the right here and originally I assumed was a coti, you can probably see why:

IMG-9880.JPG

But after cleaning the colour changed a bit, and became a light, caramel brown. Wet:

IMG-9890.jpg

Dry:

IMG-9893.jpg

Bottom/side:

IMG-9900.JPG

Leafy bits:

IMG-9891.JPG

Bright orange splodge (has a few of these):

IMG-9892.JPG

This stone is very different to the speckled one above. It's quite soft, easy to lap, and it feels much finer to the touch - far more how I imagined PDSO to be.

A lot of those visual features I think are sometimes found in cotis too, but the kicker for me was the SG @ 2.66, which is much, much lower than a coti.

Quite happy about that one.

Last edited:
So I think I've probably scored one here :), but keen to hear what you think @SliceOfLife, @Toro Blanco, and any others...

I was using a 140 Atoma and the stone is surprisingly hard to lap for something that feels like it should be quite soft, though it certainly isn't a novaculite. And it surely not a coti either. Mud is a light grey/brown/yellowish colour.

View attachment 1495959

When wet the stone is grey with a bit of green-yellow tint:

View attachment 1495958

When dry it's grey with more green tint and less yellow, this is a 400 atoma finish.

View attachment 1495956

There are some bits of pink/red colour in it.

View attachment 1495957

The stone feels fine, but not super fine and smooth like a Thuri. Though obviously feel to the touch can be deceiving, especially off a diamond plate.

I'll see how it goes later or tomorrow, but I can't think of what else it could be apart from PDSO...
Maybe the fabled cutler's green. forest green with sparse blue speckles, and that comes from Snowdonia 's area

If you can rule out Charley for the speckled stone I can see it being a green Coti aka PDSO. Never seen one quite like it but you learn stuff everyday.
Or it could be the fabled Cutler's Green! Like rideon66 said. You'd be rich! LOL!

That bottom one is a lot more like it. Classic PDSO! You can see how easy it would be to confuse it for a coti but when you have it in hand you're like "what the freak! This does not feel or act like a coti at all" LOL! Kind of throws you for a loop.

Nice finds! You're like the Aussie version of Tim. You find all kinds of good stuff. Keep it up!

Last edited:
Maybe the fabled cutler's green. forest green with sparse blue speckles, and that comes from Snowdonia 's area

I would lean more this way than a PDSO on the green speced stone. Or a different type of charnley cousin, I've read that the green with black dots while not as easy to ID was thought of as a superior stone than the red blotches.

That other one with the leaf fossils certainly fits the bill well.

Such ancient stones, very nice finds!

If you can rule out Charley for the speckled stone I can see it being a green Coti aka PDSO. Never seen one quite like it but you learn stuff everyday.
Or it could be the fabked Cutler's Green! Like rideon66 said. You'd be rich! LOL!

That bottom one is a lot more like it. Classic PDSO! You can see how easy it would be to confuse it for a coti but when you have it in hand you're like "what the freak! This does not feel or act like a coti at all" LOL! Kind of throws you for a loop.

Nice finds! You're like the Aussie version of Tim. You find all kinds of good stuff. Keep it up!

Ah cool, cheers for confirming on the second one. Soon as I cleaned it and started lapping, I thought to myself it couldn’t be a coti, and remembered that PDSO often have those leafy bits, and orange in them. I’ll get it properly flat and give a go later, it certainly feels like a proper razor finishing stone.

I’m leaning toward the first being a soft, hopefully fast and coarse CF. The person who it belonged to had a massive Charnley collection (dozens and dozens), so would make sense. Might try that one on a couple of knives first and see how it behaves.

First one, Maybe PDSO, but looks too hard. I'd lean towards Lynn Id or unknown (Cutlers green, sure why not?).

Second one looks exactly like hybrid coti minus the pattern to me, so I'd guess it's a vintage Hybrid-esque coti vein. Usually fantastic and really fun stones that behave like Hybrid Les Lats. I've actually got a 6x2" of similar stuff, but I've had a number of stones like them in the past. Definitely not PDSO in my opinion... act nothing like them. The fact that it's soft is very odd, but it legit looks exactly like a number of coti's I've owned. I'm 99.9% sure it's a flavor of vintage Coti. The other 0.1%, sure, a very odd looking PDSO (the soft would fit then).

edit: of course all my time with these stones is filtered through the fact that these are pictures on my computer. If I got that stone in my hand and ran a blade over it, I could tell you really quick which it was... You'd never confuse a PDSO for a hybrid Coti in use.

Last edited:
First one, Maybe PDSO, but looks too hard. I'd lean towards Lynn Id or unknown (Cutlers green, sure why not?).

Second one looks exactly like hybrid coti minus the pattern to me, so I'd guess it's a vintage Hybrid-esque coti vein. Usually fantastic and really fun stones that behave like Hybrid Les Lats. I've actually got a 6x2" of similar stuff, but I've had a number of stones like them in the past. Definitely not PDSO in my opinion... act nothing like them. The fact that it's soft is very odd, but it legit looks exactly like a number of coti's I've owned. I'm 99.9% sure it's a flavor of vintage Coti. The other 0.1%, sure, a very odd looking PDSO (the soft would fit then).

edit: of course all my time with these stones is filtered through the fact that these are pictures on my computer. If I got that stone in my hand and ran a blade over it, I could tell you really quick which it was... You'd never confuse a PDSO for a hybrid Coti in use.
One more loop to jump! LOL! But at least you have it in hand and should not be to hard jumping over it. Good luck!

Ta!

I think the SG on the second stone is quite a lot too low to be a coti - it's much lower than any coti I've ever had. Like 0.25 lower. Have you tested SG on any of your PDSOs? That'd be interesting to know...

I'll give a go though and see what happens - if PDSO is quite noticeably different in use then I should be able to tell I imagine. Possibly.

Definately not a Charnley! Cool, never seen one like that!

What is the slurry like on the second one? That should also be a very good inficator!

This is like a good soap opera. You think it's going one way, then it flips another way and just when you thought you figured it out bam you get another plot twister! LOL!

I hate soap operas but I love searching for stones. I am just now seeing many similarities. LOL!

I hope you go 2 for 2.

Ok yeah, that's a PDSO. The slurry don't lie.

Honestly, Never SG tested a coti, so the SG is meaningless to me. Let's see some slurry! If it's white, it's a Coti.

The slurry was the first thing I remember noticing about these stones when I still didn't know what they are.

Thick and deeply colored, usually ~ the color of the stone, maybe tending a little more yellow than the stones appear. It almost acts like Corn starch once you get a little bit going, soaks up water and becomes a paste. Not many/any other razor finishers I know of do that except VERY soft Thuri's.

Top Bottom