What's new

Pierre Du Sud Ouest Love Show off your Rocks. (AKA Mystery Swirled hone)

Dadoroma,

Could be a PDSO. Other than the sawmarks on the side and the short and wide cut (which is rare for PDSO, but I've seen a few) it does look like a PDSO to me. Unbacked coti or even a Jnat or other is possible. Given odds on what's MOST likely, I'd say PDSO, but not by a lot... almost tied with Jnat. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's something else.

Dadoroma,

Potrebbe essere un PDSO. A parte i segni di sega sul lato e il taglio corto e largo (che è raro per PDSO, ma ne ho visti alcuni) mi sembra un PDSO. È possibile un coti senza supporto o anche un Jnat o altro. Date le probabilità su ciò che è PI probabile, direi PDSO, ma non di molto... quasi legato a Jnat. Non sarei affatto sorpreso se fosse qualcos'altro.
Grazie mille.
per come lavora all'inizio pensavo fosse una Jnat anche se mi sembrava strano perchè in 10 passate toglie tutti i segni di un sintetico a grana bassa
tuttavia la pietra è molto dura e vetrosa, ci sono volute più di qualche ora per appiattirla.

sono anche le inclusioni che vedi che mi hanno fatto cambiare idea da Jnat

Dadoroma,

Potrebbe essere un PDSO. A parte i segni di sega sul lato e il taglio corto e largo (che è raro per PDSO, ma ne ho visti alcuni) mi sembra un PDSO. È possibile un coti senza supporto o anche un Jnat o altro. Date le probabilità su ciò che è PI probabile, direi PDSO, ma non di molto... quasi legato a Jnat. Non sarei sorpreso se fosse qualcos'altro.
Grazie mille.
per come lavora all'inizio pensavo fosse una Jnat anche se mi sembrava strano perchè in 10 passate toglie tutti i segni di un sintetico a grana bassa
tuttavia la pietra è molto dura e vetrosa, ci sono volute più di qualche ora per appiattirla.

sono anche le inclusioni che vedi che mi hanno fatto cambiare idea da Jnat

I've owned 20-30 or so. Based on those:

Yellow tend to be harder (with the tiger-striped yellows seeming to be the hardest). Orange/Pink/Brown tend to be softer. Greens can go either way. Though hardness/softness is weird with these... they aren't like Thuri's where the soft ones can autoslurry a ton more and feel totally different under the razor. It's mostly just that they feel different to the touch. In practice they all behave like a relatively hard stone (not a lot of autoslurry, slow to lap (relative to Thuris), no noticeable wear or dishing under razors)... but some feel to the touch (fingertips) like a soft sandstone, while others feel like a hard thuri or coticule. Just going by touch, you'd think a soft vs hard one would behave nothing alike, but under a razor they really don't vary.

Just got a new one. On the smaller/ thinner size but still workable.
image.jpg
image.jpg

It came to me not finished past 400 grit. When I used it it felt too grainy, gritty. I lapped it with w/d 1k, 1.5k, and then 2k. It still doesn’t feel as fine as the other ones I have. Are there less fine ones out there? Or am I supposed to finish them differently? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
My other ones I got from @SliceOfLife, and I fell in love with them. I would be greatly disappointed if this one isn’t up to snuff.

Just got a new one. On the smaller/ thinner size but still workable.View attachment 1464497View attachment 1464499
It came to me not finished past 400 grit. When I used it it felt too grainy, gritty. I lapped it with w/d 1k, 1.5k, and then 2k. It still doesn’t feel as fine as the other ones I have. Are there less fine ones out there? Or am I supposed to finish them differently? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
My other ones I got from @SliceOfLife, and I fell in love with them. I would be greatly disappointed if this one isn’t up to snuff.

That sure looks like an old coticule to my eyes. I have some old hard coticules that feel just as you described "grity and grainy". I would rub the stone down good with another coticule for surface prep. I've had to finish using oil on those stones for any chance of shaving.

It was sold to me as a pdso. It has the classic patina? Shellac? around the edges and on the back. The shape is also more pdso than coticule, it’s ovalish and very thin (only 6 mm thick). That’s why I assume that it is in fact a pdso.

I’ll take a picture of it wet later when I get home. I really hope the experts will find it to be a pdso ( I paid too much for it to be a coti 😞).

It was sold to me as a pdso. It has the classic patina? Shellac? around the edges and on the back. The shape is also more pdso than coticule, it’s ovalish and very thin (only 6 mm thick). That’s why I assume that it is in fact a pdso.

I’ll take a picture of it wet later when I get home. I really hope the experts will find it to be a pdso ( I paid too much for it to be a coti 😞).
I've never held one but from what I've read about them that sounds like a pdso. I think a coticule that thick would've been broken to pieces, aren't pdso stones really hard?

Side views
image.jpg
image.jpg

I've never held one but from what I've read about them that sounds like a pdso. I think a coticule that thick would've been broken to pieces, aren't pdso stones really hard?
As to hardness this one seems pretty hard to me, but I don’t know what is the norm. @SliceOfLife said earlier in the thread that they vary in hardness. If anyone knows it’s got to be him.

I was wondering what some of you experts thought about this stone. I don't have it yet; it's waiting for me in the UK, so these are seller's pictures. But I thought possibly PDSO, that was why I bought it anyway.

It came from a collection of stones that had all sorts of things, including a number of Charnleys and Cotis, so I guess could be one of those too. What do we reckon...?

Circa 8.5 x 2".

s-l1600 (43).jpg

s-l1600 (45).jpg

s-l1600 (47).jpg

s-l1600 (44).jpg

Legion

Staff member
I was wondering what some of you experts thought about this stone. I don't have it yet; it's waiting for me in the UK, so these are seller's pictures. But I thought possibly PDSO, that was why I bought it anyway.

It came from a collection of stones that had all sorts of things, including a number of Charnleys and Cotis, so I guess could be one of those too. What do we reckon...?

Circa 8.5 x 2".

View attachment 1490827

View attachment 1490825

View attachment 1490824

View attachment 1490826
I'm thinking the white balance looks out on the pictures, so it's pretty hard to guess the actual colour of the stone. It could be a Charnley.

I'm thinking the white balance looks out on the pictures, so it's pretty hard to guess the actual colour of the stone. It could be a Charnley.

Aha... the eye of a professional! Yes - the colour balance on that seller's pics has sometimes been quite squiffy in the past. So it may well be more green than the pics.

I wouldn't be too sad if it's one of those mythical old 'khaki' Charnleys tho...

Top Bottom