What's new

Seven hones for seven razors

2) The vintage Thuringian

These are reputed to be excellent finishers, and this one was no exception.

I’ve used several different vintage Thuringians, and they’ve all been pretty similar. They are a joy to hone on. The ‘feel’ is just right and the edge gets a nice mirror like shine and shaves well.

I used it as a finisher, using a light slurry and then doing a few dilutions to pure water. Visually, the edge improved very rapidly, and the final edge was nice to shave with.

A lot of people would be really happy with this hone, but the final edge characteristics were not to my preference. This preference is not a function of my skills with these hones, as I’ve had some excellent razors honed by pros on Eschers/Thuringians and I’ve not liked those either.

Anyway, I think that the Thuringian is a really fine finisher. Middling fast, very smooth - perhaps not able to remove quite the same amount of metal as a coticule with slurry, but still a very capable finisher.

The keenness off this hone is supposedly higher than a coticule - this was not my experience. The LGB put as keen an edge on the blade as this did - maybe better. It certainly was less keen than the Charnley edge, and less smooth than the Japanese natural edges.

Great thread, I can'e believe I missed it the first time around.

The only thing I would add is you should be blinded to the stone used on the razor-of course this is impossible if you are doing your own honing.

Great thread, thank you.

Great thread, I can'e believe I missed it the first time around.

The only thing I would add is you should be blinded to the stone used on the razor-of course this is impossible if you are doing your own honing.

Great thread, thank you.

Not that hard with a 7-day set. Hone them all, mask the week day with tape and ask someone to mix them up.

Top Bottom