What's new

Picked up a nice pair of cordovan chukkas.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One disappointment is that the creasing in the leather on the right shoe is noticeably different from the left. The left has the classic rolls that develop over time in shell cordovan. While the right has some of that, there are also some smaller creases and wrinkles.
Get the deer bone and then…

32F06886-D3AF-43FE-A959-562E0C64964E.jpeg

1644548243422.jpeg

And when you’re done, you’ll feel…
C7D92B32-BF1B-42BA-B9AA-324AFD59F810.jpeg

You should never feel disappointed with such a beautiful pair of chukkas.

CE885770-E09F-4C87-8575-B2B64A84AB0F.jpeg

A90C9FD6-74F3-44AA-A331-4B60E3F8F6A1.jpeg

.. to where they once belonged.

And as for that AE Trunk Show…

794614DB-9A10-456B-B3D5-DD1A624F4317.jpeg

Awesome update. Thanks! :thumbup1:

@Doc4

This place is such treasure trove of great threads. I could go thread mining all day long.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Another technique that I use (in tandem with the deer bone) is one I saw Bedo use in one of his videos wherein he takes the vamp between his thumb and index finger and rolls it from one side of the vamp to the other, almost pinching the leather as he rolls it through his fingers in an effort to smooth out the vamp and reverse the creasing.

He also sprays the vamp with water but I just can’t bring myself to do that.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As you know, I'm a bit of a heathen in these matters, with my cheap disposable shoes, and lack of sentimentality. However, I agree with Blantyre's view of accepting nature's quirks and beauty. I have a couple of pairs of shoes with deep creases and crows feet wrinkles, and don't begrudge that extra character one bit.

Great feedback, thank you! There‘s always the small possibility that a bull got loose on the ranch and the material used on the right shoe is actually a rare hybrid between shell and regular leather.

Seriously, I will see what can do using the slicker. A deer femur maybe called for as a last resort.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
There‘s always the small possibility that a bull got loose on the ranch and the material used on the right shoe is actually a rare hybrid between shell and regular leather.
:lol:

@AimlessWanderer

Blemishes and slight imperfections gathered along the way are definitely part of the fun iof developing a shoe’s character and I certainly was not being critical of Rick’s bourbons. How could I be? They’re beautiful. :yesnod:

But after he expressed feeling some disappointment in the way the creases had developed, I wanted to make some suggestions to perhaps turn that frown upside down. :biggrin:

As for imperfections, heck, over the years, each shoe of my pair of ravello chukkas are now different shades of ravello. :yesnod:

(@blantyre maybe that same bull was having a lost weekend).

Although, just out of curiosity, I’ve taken to leaving the darker left boot in the direct sunlight to see if it fades it a bit. This is being done purely in the name of science. :whistling: )
3B7D83B4-14DB-49FC-BCB8-51C4F902D78C.jpeg

Although, just out of curiosity, I’ve taken to leaving the darker left boot in the direct sunlight to see if it fades it a bit. This is being done purely in the name of science. :whistling: )
I look forward to seeing the results. I can't find it now but remember seeing images of color 8 that was faded to almost ravello color by prolonged (deliberate) exposure to sunlight. With the days getting longer, the experiment can start.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I look forward to seeing the results. I can't find it now but remember seeing images of color 8 that was faded to almost ravello color by prolonged (deliberate) exposure to sunlight. With the days getting longer, the experiment can start.

Everyday when the sun is shining. :cool:

7FA30B79-73C6-4E9D-B3B1-0A0E06B7FC25.jpeg

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Wish my cordovan strops looked that good.

What's really bothering me is the Norton on your profile pick. Remembering my misspent youth. Getting heart palpitations here...........

What's really bothering me is the Norton on your profile pick. Remembering my misspent youth. Getting heart palpitations here...........
I had several Nortons at different times. The avatar pic is a 1976 Mk III Commando roadster. The last of that model range. Decent enough but the early 750s were quicker IMO even though they did shed crank pins. I sold it a few years ago.

I used to ride a lot but haven’t owned a bike for a while now. Just got busy with other stuff.

Top Bottom