What's new

Photos of Alternate Grit Pattern Stones, Show Yours

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A thousent bucks stones. Top gun in honing .
where did you gett those shobu and nakyama beautyes.I am seriously thinking for a Shobu asagi or type 100 .

I think you'll find that $1k is nowhere near what a large uniform (no lines or defects) rectangle (has all the corners and back) stone of very high quality. That said, you can easily get the same quality of stone in a small irregular size for $100 or even less but you usually have to be willing to gamble a bit.

The majority of my stones I've bought from Alex or Takeshi-San. My Hakka's and mid-grits have come from Max since he kind of specializes in those, but the shipping from Denmark is a factor, though I have to say the DHL shipping he uses is excellent.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Ahh - I see. Just sort of a hone pron thread. Just wanted to make sure I was 'on topic'. Heh.

proxy.php

$Nougat.jpg

$Koma Striped 1.jpg

$Tenjyou Side 1.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Nakayama sunashi suita with two sides, the side with white spots is harder, the other not so hard. The layers are about half-and-half. A very fast and fine stone.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $NakSuita.jpg
    $NakSuita.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 172

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Dang. That third one down is one of the wildest stones I've ever seen. Looks like a butterfinger blizzard

Long time ago - I had this Okudo Suita koppa....so beautiful, looked like a lava flow. Was a solid finisher, hard and fine. Amazing stone. Hated the shape though. Oh well - that's how it goes sometimes.

Honestly though - I much prefer subtle patterns. I like the stark wild stuff too, but time and time again it's the underspoken stones that take my breath away.
I have this huge light-asagi Oozuku Karasu ... it gives me chills when I hone on it. Seriously.
The pattern is there - but it's more under the surface that on it - if you know what I mean.
You could possibly look at it and walk right past it - and not even think twice about it.

Top Bottom