What's new

Photo of the Day

That is one big mushroom for sure.

Saw the funniest thing on the river - among others this old boat
proxy.php

And to my surprise, some quite large ships as well. I think there was a gravel pit close by
proxy.php

Love the old bridges, their design is just so much more pleasing to the eye than the modern ones.
This is the city of Torrão
proxy.php

And with two modern bridges in the foreground
proxy.php

I think it has been some time since these ships have sailed - looking closer, trees are growing on them :biggrin1:
proxy.php

Great location for a windmill, I just wonder how they get them up there
proxy.php

I would love to live a place like that
proxy.php

A couple of gents trying to catch dinner :001_smile
proxy.php

Like it :thumbup:

The church; Igreja Matriz de Raiva
proxy.php

The campside; Campidouro. They have a very nice view from their caravans
proxy.php

The A41 crossing the Douro at Pombal
proxy.php

Coming up on the Crestuma-Lever dam
proxy.php

Barragem de Crestuma-Lever

The drop is about 14 metres ~ 46 feet, and the lock is 12 by 90 metres ~ 39 by 295 feet.
The upstream door is guillotine type whereas the downstream door is book type (like the Panama Canal)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh yeah :thumbup: - I can't help it, but I love Porto, and not just for the port wine :biggrin1:

Bridge at the town of Quintas
proxy.php

Closing in on Porto, straight ahead 'Estádio do Dragão' the stadium of F.C. Porto
proxy.php

The castle (now 5-star hotel) Palácio do Freixo
proxy.php

The new rail road bridge, Ponte São João, in front and the old, Ponte De Maria Pia, behind.
The old bridge is no longer in use, but is preserved/protected.
The old bridge is made by the same company that raised the Eiffel tower
proxy.php

Oh yeah :thumbup: - I can't help it, but I love Porto, and not just for the port wine :biggrin1:

Bridge at the town of Quintas
proxy.php

Closing in on Porto, straight ahead 'Estádio do Dragão' the stadium of F.C. Porto
proxy.php

The castle (now 5-star hotel) Palácio do Freixo
proxy.php

The new rail road bridge, Ponte São João, in front and the old, Ponte De Maria Pia, behind.
The old bridge is no longer in use, but is preserved/protected.
The old bridge is made by the same company that raised the Eiffel tower
proxy.php

great cruise pics from Porto, Duoro and surrounds!

Here are some more of my similars!

more porto.jpg

Great shots by all - well done Gents :thumbup:
I love the variation of motives.

A closer look at Ponte D. Maria Pia with the car bridge Ponte de Infante in the background.
I love old bridges, can't help it :biggrin1:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Ponte de Infante
proxy.php

Ponte Luís I. Connecting Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia (it's here the magic is - port wine :wink: )
The metro and pedestrians a the top, car and pedestrians down low.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Miradouro da Serra do Pilar is an old Augustine monastery which is special. It has a round courtyard but also a round church which is very unusual. The two circles has the exact same diameter.
proxy.php

In the front runs Av. Gustavo Eiffel and up in the back is the castle Muralha Fernandina
proxy.php

Cais da Ribeira
proxy.php

Cais da Estiva
proxy.php

Nice - it is fascinating both the lock and the moth :001_smile

The city hall of Porto; Câmara Municipal do Porto
proxy.php

Saw this gentleman sitting and watching life in general, and tried to do a street photography shot
proxy.php

Pointing in the opposite direction of the city hall, just capturing my dad in his tourist-disguise :biggrin1:
proxy.php

I don't know how phone cables are connected elsewhere in the world...
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, this one is from February when we were having to replace a Mylar mirror on a sim. I thought it looked pretty cool. This is a 200 degree wide by 50 degree vertical mirror. Images are flipped due to the distance from the mirror surface. In normal (on sim) position, images would be right side up. You can see four sims in this shot, the black and gray being the one the mirror came off of. More explanation to follow.

1.JPG

Here is a view from the other side. The gray arc you see is the backscreen, which sits on top of the cockpit (you can see part of the cockpit windows below it). On the top of the sims are 3 projectors which project their images onto the backside of the screen. The screen allows these images to come through it, and the mirror (above picture, and what is on the floor in this picture) is just a reflection of the image on the backscreen. You can see a vacuum at the bottom of the mirror housing (the fiberglass shell that holds the mirror). This pulls a vacuum on the Mylar, keeping it stretched tight. For scale, the top edge of the mirror housing is about 8 foot high. To the left you see a complete sim with its mirror housing installed. Pulling and replacing a mirror is about a $70k job (and requires a crane)- not cheap at all.

On edit: I work in flight simulation. These level d devices can allow a pilot to get their license without ever being in the real airplane. We can simulate all kinds of weather scenarios and airplane disasters without endangering the pilots. They are an actual cockpit mounted on a motion base, with visuals and instructor area attached.
2.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom