What's new

Pho or Ramen?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Pho Fanboy here but I love good ramen. I'm only asking because I'm tucking into a bowl of Pho right now. Rare steak, tendon & tripe if you must know. My "place" has a bone marrow add on that I can't pass up.

I've never been to either Japan or Vietnam. I hope I'm able to visit both (Vietnam you just got edged out by Portugal this year, the flight was shorter).

Back to the food. Pho edges out Ramen for me, but only by a hair. Both dishes are very similar. Pho just touches my soul a smidgen more. It also comes down to broth to a certain degree. I can pull off a rocking Ramen broth but only a pretty decent pho broth. So I guess my shortcomings help gravitate me towards pho. One of the main draws for me in eating out lies with whether or not I can make it as good or better myself. I can't quite get there with pho. It's also why I don't ever gi out for Italian. (Sorry "X grandma " but I can pull it off)

Have a cold? I want one of four things if I'm sick, in this order-
Pho
Caldo de Pollo
Chicken Noodle
Ramen

Anyway, what's your preference and why?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Ramen for me as I do not care for rice noodles. I also find ramen more hearty and filling, especially with an egg in it. I prefer chicken over beef and think ramen is better suited to chicken, while I associate pho more as a beef dish.

I vote pho. No two broths ever wind up the same! I usually go with chicken. The key for me is to take out the jalapeño slices before it gets too hot. I don't know if I am breaking the rules, but I use Sriracha, juice of the lime wedge, bruised Thai basil, jalapeño slices, and soy sauce to season the broth. Top it with bean sprouts and good to go!!!

A tough choice. Ramen for variety of broths but a good thick bowl of pho is hard to resist. When the broth can turn into a nice thick jelly with the leftovers is amazing. Both soups make good leftovers just reheat and throw in some leftover rice for a porridge is awesome.

I haven’t ever posted on The Mess Hall before but, respectfully, I would like to vote Pho as my choice. It doesn’t hurt that my local place serves the most amazing spring rolls as an enticement.

Well at USAF commissary I shop at they have big selection of ramen, and pho. Think the young people station at base live on the stuff, as it is cheap, and fills belly up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ramen.

Most restaurants make a mediocre version. I've had ramen in Japan but not pho in Vietnam so maybe that's why I am like I am.

Also, with pho you can either call it "faux" and get made fun of, or call it "fuh" and look down your nose at those faux-Viet folk.

quality of pho very much comes down to the cook, in my experience. So I can't state in definite terms whether I prefer Pho or other types of noodle soup. Good quality Pho is surely high on my list, but by the same token Pho can be very disappointing ...!
As for Japanese noodle soups, my favourite is not ramen, but udon...! THicker noodles than ramen, more bite. Favourite is Tuskimi udon ("moon watching" udon, with raw egg and wakame see weed). Subway station style ...

As a general rule, I love noodle soups. Properly made pho tops properly made ramen for me. But properly made (Taiwanese) beef noodle soup edges out pho. Also, I prefer my noodles thick and wide. (I really love knife cut noodles and hand pulled noodles.)

When sick, I prefer chicken noodle soup, but I won't turn down any of the above noodle soups.

Top Bottom