What's new

Personna cartridge razors any good?

Can you link a pic of the GT5? I'm not familiar with that one. I can tell you right off hand that the Caliber 5 carts will fit on these razors and possibly more:

• Personna Caliber 5
  • Personna Caliber 5 with "Motion Sphere" (Schick Xtreme Pivotball is a rebranded version of this)
  • Bulldog Bamboo 5-blade razor
  • Schick Quattro (any)
They will NOT fit on the Personna EasyFit 5 which uses the same connector type as a Gillette Fusion. Caliber 5 carts also will NOT fit on Magnum M5 razors as the connector is totally different.
Thanks!

Personna GT5:
Mens 5 Blade Razor System with trimmer

It’s a great handle and Lidl sell the 5-blade carts at £3.80 for four.
I was just wondering if it would take the Caliber 3 carts too...

Well I can now confirm that the Caliber carts fit the GT5 handle and apparently the Quattro handles too!
Very good news :)

I think the OEM Personna handles are generally pretty good.
I was very kindly gifted a DynaShave handle which is available in UK and is the same as the QShave Black Spider and that steps it up to another level.

It’s got a head that swivels left and right as well as up and down and it’s a really nice handle for the Caliber and GT5 carts:
0D638E0B-BD94-4FB2-B7E9-3D4B1B9C36DE.jpeg

Apparently this is the same handle as the Schick Pivotball.

Any of you gents care to share what you think of the Personna EasyFit 3? I'm thinking of picking one up. I really like the shave I get from my Mach3 Turbo when I'm too rushed to shave with a DE but of course the carts are pretty expensive to replace.
It's a Hydro 3 Mk1. So almost as good as the current Hydro 3.

Well now I’m headshaving I’m exploring the world of Personna carts which are extremely plentiful off brand here in UK.
Aldi sell the Matrix 3 and Magnum M5 at incredibly low prices.
Lidl has the GT5.
Boots and Superdrug have the Caliber 3/5 and Tri-Flexx.

I’ve heard very good reports about blade life with these razors which shouldn't be surprising from the makers of the Personna 74.

I’m confused about compatability though (since I don’t yet have a Caliber).
Will Caliber 5 and 3 carts fit the GT5?
There are only two families or platforms:
Quattro/Caliber/GT

Hydro/Easy Fit/Hydro 5 Mk1 now private label at Tesco and Wilko.

Tesco and Wilko selling this new 5 blade cart really reduces the choice. I am not too sure the GT is available in the UK anymore except Lidl.The cheapest option is now Quattro disposables.

Last edited:
Those Schick Pivotballs are new to me, utilising the Caliber 5 and Xtreme3. I have been been using my Core Motion for two years now.

There are only two families or platforms:
Quattro/Caliber/GT

Hydro/Easy Fit/Hydro 5 Mk1 now private label at Tesco and Wilko.

Tesco and Wilko selling this new 5 blade cart really reduces the choice. I am not too sure the GT is available in the UK anymore except Lidl.The cheapest option is now Quattro disposables.
In UK Lidl sell the GT5 £3.00 and four carts for £3.80

Aldi sell the Magnum M5 for £3.00 and four carts for £3.00

In UK Lidl sell the GT5 £3.00 and four carts for £3.80

Aldi sell the Magnum M5 for £3.00 and four carts for £3.00
I am not a fan of the Magnum. Quattro Titanium disposables are cheaper than the GT5 on promotion if you're happy with 4 rather than 5 blades.

I am not a fan of the Magnum. Quattro Titanium disposables are cheaper than the GT5 on promotion if you're happy with 4 rather than 5 blades.
Hmm... Where is the offer for the Quattro disposables?
The Lidl GT5 carts are £0.95 each so is it cheaper than that?
And will the Quattro disposable heads prise off so I can mount them on the GT5 handle?

Aldi also have the Matrix 3 for £2.00 with 6 carts for £2.00.

Superdrug and Boots sell the Caliber 3 and 5.

The Superdrug disposable is a Caliber 5 which with their offers works out cheaper than the carts.
You can prise the head out and it has an adapter which will fit on the Magnum handle or you can snap off the tabs and it will mount straight on to the Magnum/GT5 handle.

I’ll have a look into the Quattro disposables because the more aggressive GT5 system suits me over the Caliber.
I actually like the Magnum but the stock of carts in Aldi seems erratic.

Quattro disposables are currently available at Boots- £5.89 and Tesco - £5.00 in packs of 3 according to mysupermarket.Tesco often do 50% off promotions so 83p a cart.
I am sure they are available in Superdrug too.

Quattro disposables are currently available at Boots- £5.89 and Tesco - £5.00 in packs of 3 according to mysupermarket.Tesco often do 50% off promotions so 83p a cart.
I am sure they are available in Superdrug too.
Thanks - I’ll look out for the offers!

Boots are doing the Caliber 3 carts at £3.00 for four but they seem to be running the stock down in favour of the ones which are Mach 3 compatible.

Thanks - I’ll look out for the offers!

Boots are doing the Caliber 3 carts at £3.00 for four but they seem to be running the stock down in favour of the ones which are Mach 3 compatible.
What's the point of private label if everyone is the same, they may as well create a budget brand. With the Hydro 3 and 5 available, why are they pushing the Easy Fit 3 and 5? Effectively the Hydro 3 and 5 Mk 1's. It just reducing choice.

Those Schick Pivotballs are new to me, utilising the Caliber 5 and Xtreme3. I have been been using my Core Motion for two years now.
Xtreme3 Pivotball disposables are in Tesco. I shall wait for the next half price promotion.

Well in a new developement our local Aldi has replaced it’s Magnum system with the same Caliber 5 system as Superdrug, Boots and Morrison’s.
The Aldi Caliber 5 carts are £4.99 for four (as opposed to £6.00) everywhere else but it’s still cheaper to buy the Caliber 5 disposables from Superdrug on their Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price offer so you get 6 carts for £5.25 and just pop the heads out and snap the tabs off.

So it seems the only options in UK to get Magnum carts are as Wilko disposables or from the CleanShaven shave club.

Aldi still had the Matrix 3 carts at £2.00 for 6 (!) and it really is a good aggressive shave but all the Matrix 3 handles had disappeared so I wonder if they’re phasing them out too.

I don't understand this lack of choice, either Easy Fit3 or 5 - which are the original Hydro's or the Caliber 5.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the Caliber 3 cart on a Pivotball handle - it’s a very smooth comfortable and smart shave.
Does the Pivotball handle reduce the closeness of the shave though?
D224B2DC-CEEF-4C75-B4BC-CC3125F4243D.jpeg

For some reason my shaves seem closer with the handles which don’t pivot laterally but there’s no doubt that the lateral pivot makes for smoother easier and more comfortable shaving.
And maybe that’s why the Feather MR3 Neo handle gives you the option to lock the lateral pivot.

Also I have had a moment of clarity about the price of carts.
Coming to carts from DE, SE and straight shaving everything I learned about prep and technique is transferable and I’m getting magnificent cart shaves now.

Initially I made a big deal out of the fact that the Gillette carts are proportionately hugely more expensive but the truth is that I spent literally £1000’s on vintage razors.
A cart will last me a month so the saving from a Gillette cart to a Personna cart might be about £1.50 a month or less than £20 a year.
I live in the First World and have a full time job so to be honest that kind of saving is meaningless.

What matters then is quality of shave but again in the post-Mach 3 world they’re all good because the fierce competition means Gillette, Dorco, Personna and Bic have all got to be of a comparable standard to survive.

So really it just comes down to personal preference - YMMV applies in the world of carts too!

Having had this realisation I subscribed to the Bic Shave Club.
The carts work out at £1.75 each in the Club.
I know I can get an equally good shave from the Aldi Matrix 3 with carts that cost £0.35 each.
But guess what? I go to work so that I can afford to spend the extra £1.40 per cart cos Bic have the best aesthetics :)

Just got a Tri-Flexx.
It’s a whole different ball game from the Caliber and Matrix - very narrow head, pretty harsh shaving and powerfully efficient giving me a true deep BBS:
5B5D2411-7937-4298-B89A-A14653D5C8A0.jpeg

Also the handle is beautiful, heavy rubber and metal.
And it’s compatible with Sensor carts too as well as the ridiculously cheap but excellent shaving Supermax SMX3:
105B69CC-D06C-418F-960B-B351926B7F53.jpeg

This is like old skool ‘80s shaving retrofitted with a triple blade!

I tried the Personna Trac II copies, and they were too rough on my face. But many folks like them and do 3 pass shaves with them

You won't know until you try a brand yourself I guess

Top Bottom