What's new

Personal experience that goes against common wisdom?

What have you learned from personal experience that goes against conventional wisdom?

For example (I'll start): I have found that "using the weight of the razor to do the work" doesn't really fit in very well with my technique. In fact, it doesn't really make sense to me as you can only do that when shaving downwards or across on certain parts of your face. Shaving upwards, the weight of the razor is working against you. If you have a really heavy razor, the weight of the razor might be too much pressure.

Instead, I accommodate the weight of the razor when holding it to my skin. A heavy razor has more inertia, which definitely helps it in its work, but it's not the weight of the razor doing the work. That comes from the motion of the razor as I move it across my face.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That’s a great point and it would also be right at home here.

I do wonder if people saying such things actually mean mass instead of weight and the mass’s relationship to momentum. That’s overthinking for ya

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A bit different direction, but in keeping with the thread, I think:
It’s counterintuitive but starting at the top and working your way down is the cheapest way to go with soaps.
As a result, I bought Tomo and APBinNCA's recommended Baume.be pre-shave and cream.... It isn't outrageously expensive... and even less expensive than the very fine Acca Kappa Barbershop that I've been enjoying for the past 5 weeks now. But, it's the best soap/cream I've tried to date. I couldn't be more pleased.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
What have you learned from personal experience that goes against conventional wisdom?

For example (I'll start): I have found that "using the weight of the razor to do the work" doesn't really fit in very well with my technique. In fact, it doesn't really make sense to me as you can only do that when shaving downwards or across on certain parts of your face. Shaving upwards, the weight of the razor is working against you. If you have a really heavy razor, the weight of the razor might be too much pressure.

Instead, I accommodate the weight of the razor when holding it to my skin. A heavy razor has more inertia, which definitely helps it in its work, but it's not the weight of the razor doing the work. That comes from the motion of the razor as I move it across my face.

I agree with your statement, because it has a basis in scientifical fact. When going WTG, gravity is pushing downward. With any good heavy weighted razor, in the 3.4 to 4.0 range, the weight of the razor, and gravity, will aid you in your whisker removing task, without needing to apply any pressure, I have experienced this personally, to know that you are speaking truth.

Having said that however, when it comes to AGT, now you are fighting gravity, because gravity wants to push your razor downwards, but you want to go upwards. And all the weight of the razor is doing now, is making you work harder to fight gravity. This forces you to develop a stronger technique, to achieve the goal without cutting yourself.

But here's the thing, I wouldn't recommend applying pressure if you were using an aggressive razor though. Now, maybe if it was a mild razor, it would make sense to apply a tiny bit of pressure while going ATG. Or, if using an adjustable, set it to setting 1 or 2 for your ATG passes.

Now, I haven't been in this shaving hobby that long to develop a list of conventional teachings that didn't make sense for me. What I will say is, when I see how little beginners spend on their first razors, I am surprised how quickly, I was willing to spend much much more, to get a quality razor, or razors in my case, cause I own two. I got a Feather AS-D2, and a Rex Ambassador.

I think sometimes we can enter this hobby, thinking that all the conventional wisdom is going to sail us through the adventure. But in reality, I think some of us, have to learn our own way. Sure, we can ask for advice, and take that advice as you will. But at the end of the day, we have to do what works best for us.

Use a mild razor for sensitive skin they say(used to). No, use the most aggressive razor your technique can handle and do one pass. If the razor does so smoothly, all the better. Technique improves over time more than you think it will. But now we are full circle, back to conventional wisdom. In this case, correct. So which is it again, the technique or the razor?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Perhaps a combination. But without good technique.... a good razor won't make much difference, I don't think.

• Lathering is a science that requires complex formulae, atomic measurements, and arcane rituals
  • Some blades only work well in certain razors; or some razors shave better with certain blades.
  • You only need one brush, one razor, and one soap...

Top Bottom