What's new

Participation PIF - Swinging The Legendary Viking's Sword Blade

My tuck of Viking's Sword blades arrived today. Very ingenious and effective packaging! Thanks to [U]Grundi[/U] for the generous PIF. I owe you all a review of these blades. It will come, but it may be little awhile. I'm falling under the Excalibur spell, and I'm only on my 15th shave with a Gillette Silver Blue. (My previous personal best was 10 shaves with a Derby Premium.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My tuck of Viking's Sword blades arrived today. Very ingenious and effective packaging! Thanks to [U]Grundi[/U] for the generous PIF. I owe you all a review of these blades. It will come, but it may be little awhile. I'm falling under the Excalibur spell, and I'm only on my 15th shave with a Gillette Silver Blue. (My previous personal best was 10 shaves with a Derby Premium.)
I think I have 52 (maybe 51?) on a GSB. I put a hash mark on the wrapper to keep track. If I'm not using that blade I just store it in the wrapper. Lol, if you are like me, the GSB will last a bit.

viking-m.jpg
OOOPS! Wrong Vikings.

viking-lego.jpg

The Vikings landed yesterday (thanks to SpaceCadet and Grundi), and I gave them their first tryout this morning.

Viking Sword: Blade 1, Shave 1

NO GLUE DOTS!!

4/5 BBS Shave

Razor: 1955 A4 BET
Blade: Israeli Personna Viking Sword
Brush: Silvertip of unknown origin (from Hannah's Dad in the auction)
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Splash: Thayer's Lavender Toner WH
Balm: OneBlade Black Tie PSB

For reference, yesterday's shave was MedPrep/1940's SS/Proraso Red/Simpson T2 (same source)/Thayer's WH/OneBlade PSB

Knowing that these are Israeli blades, I see a comparison with Satinex 2000. After this PIF, I'll have to check that out.

I had my usual 3-pass+buffing shave. It was fairly smooth, with a bit more blade feel than I get from Derby or Voskhod, with no post-shave feedback from the alum block. No nicks, weepers, or post-shave irritation.

The result was pretty much my usual shave: BBS on my cheeks by the end of the second pass, and on most of my neck after the clean-up buffing. DFS in a couple of thumbnail-sized spots on my neck. Tomorrow, I'll try them in a different razor, with the T2 brush.

My first impression is that they're rather good. At $15/100 they're worth a purchase. Tomorrow, I'll try them in a different razor, with the T2 brush. With the closure of Edgewell's Israeli plant, are they still being made?

In the afternoon of my first Viking shave, my face was really getting irritated - working outside and having a mask on and off. It is unseasonably warm here for November. I think tomorrow I am not going to try as hard as I did this morning. Maybe change razors and hope for the best.

My blades arrived today and what was on deck was a slnat and so I decided to replace tonight's razor with a regular medium razor - RR GC 84. WTG pass had significant blade feel (more than what I expect from my GC). I had to adjust the angle a couple of times to dial it in. ATG pass was extremely efficient, however there was still enough stubble for me to do an XTG pass along my jaw line and under my chin. Maybe it was because it was a first shave, but the blade did feel a little on the rough side. Tomorrow, I will oad it in the slant and see how that goes.

Vikings Sword, edge 1 shave 1. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor; Stirling Frankincense & Myrrh; Frank Shaving 20mm best badger.

In our culture, unexceptional is generally used almost as a pejorative. But if I'm holding a piece of steel that is literally RAZOR SHARP mere centimetres away from a pretty major artery, maybe I want something unexceptional. And this blade delivers.

Not as smooth as the smoothest blade, not as frighteningly sharp as the sharpest. A two-pass shave delivers exactly what I'm looking for - I don't go chasing the BBS. Considering the fuss that the blade wrappers make about the plastic coating I was slightly concerned that it would take the first shave to scrape some of that away, as happens with the GSB. My fears were unfounded.

So it's on to the longevity. Fortunately(?) I've got external meeting calls for the rest of the week, so that's at least three shaves (including today's) before the weekend.

blades2 (2).jpg

Razor/Blade: Gillette 1917 Standard/ Viking’s Sword blade
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
AS: Lucky Tiger

Second shave but different razor. Shave great performance from the blade two pass (ATG,XTG, clean up) BBS. This would be a blade I could use everyday. Now I am waiting to see how many shaves I get although that is not a good indicator for me as in my wet shaving experience I seldom get the same number of shaves from blade types and normally do not keep track of how many times I use a blade (I typically rotate 5-7 razors ). I just change them out when they start tugging or no longer give a clean shave.

Shave #1 loaded into a Christopher Bradley Karve with the B plate and wide top cap. Chiseled Face Sherlock soap and AS, Paladin PK47 brush. I switched the copper lather bowl for a Georgetown Pottery scuttle due to the drop in temperature over night.

As noted above, no glue dots which I actually like. I understand the value, particularly for transportation of blades, so they don't bang against the wrapper. I like them without personally. The blade itself is beautiful with clearly printed labeling on the steel. My first pass I was concerned, there was a bit of roughness on the first stroke and I thought, "not another Hammer blade!" but correcting angle and pressure I commenced to have a very comfortable shave. By pass #2 I felt it gliding easily along and the shave result was very fine indeed. Absolutely no irritation and DFS if I do say so myself.

I'm going to try another day or two in this razor and try a bit later with something a bit more aggressive. I was not in the mood for anything other than a mild shave and I think I'll be there again tomorrow, but who knows what the future brings? As to it being the same as an Israeli Red, I don't know. I've shaved plenty of times with the Israeli Reds and they just don't feel the same to me. They feel closer, but better, than Crystals which some say is the same blade as an Israeli Red (I disagree). Thanks for this opportunity, and I'm looking forward to future shaves! I wish I had a Viking Razor to put this in!
20201110_201915.jpg

Viking Sword: Blade 1, Shave 2

Whether fantasy or reality, many believe shaves two and three on a blade should be the golden ones. My experience has agreed with this on many occasions. As such I had high hopes of some improvement, in some way, with this shave.

I kept the blade in my Timeless to ensure an even comparison from shave one. This time, I did not try to mess with things (such as actively applying pressure for instance) and just let the shave happen. Smooth gliding brass and steel was all I felt with not a dot of crimson to be found. I only entertained a small effort to buff and j-hook my under-chin to try for that BBS, but felt “why push it”. Ended up with a DFS for sure today.

This is a very easy and enjoyable blade. Again, not the sharpest in the drawer, as I believe a Nacet would have provided a BBS with the simple level of effort I put into this shave. Now that isn’t to say the Viking Sword isn’t a good blade. Actually I’d put this in the “Ron Popiel” category of “set it and forget it”. You know what you’ll get, and it doesn’t take much effort or attention.

4/5 DFS

Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Timberwolf
Soap: CBL Premium Smokey Mountain Cedar
Splash: Aqua Velva Musk
Balm: EMJ Sig Mint

20201111_071246.jpg

20201111_071512.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #1

Razor:
Merkur 38C
Blade: Viking Sword
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap: Stirling "Sheep" (Unscented)
Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Right off the bat, as I'm unwrapping the blade, I'm liking the fact there are no wax spots. And while I don't I judge a book by its cover, this IS a rather nice looking blade. Nothing wrong with paying attention to detail and a good presentation in my opinion.

After doing my first pass, I wasn't too sure about this blade. Good aural feedback, which I like, but I noticed a little bit of "drag"; no tugging, but definitely not gliiiiiding over my face like there is using a Nacet or Kai Stainless. Still, so far so good. The first pass did an entirely respectable job. The second pass cleaned up my whole face really well. If I was in a hurry to get out the door, I could have stopped here and lived with the sandpaper stubble that was left over in a few spots. Went ahead and did a third pass to keep to my usual routine though. After this third pass my known trouble spots are feeling pretty good on a still wet face and there was very little feedback (read: sting) from the alum block. Not so much as a hint of a nick or weepers to be seen anywhere. Going to use some Nivea balm and let my face dry out a little.

*Time Passes*

Overall I'd put this shave firmly in DFS territory. I'd say it hits the "sweet spot" of sharpness vs. smoothness, though I would have liked just a tad more sharpness. Of course this is shave number one so the second or third might do just that. The Viking Sword took a little extra effort in some places by comparison but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and once it was all said and done the overall shave I got is very good; bordering on excellent. Post shave irritation is practically nil, even on my neck, which is unusual. There's just a hint of sandpaper stubble left over in some spots, so while that's a bit of a nit-pick, I'm going to stop short of calling this shave excellent. Still, I'm impressed. Looking forward to shave number two.

This is a very easy and enjoyable blade.
That's a really, really good summation in my opinion as well.

Points awarded for overall shaving satisfaction, comfort and maybe presentation but deducting for drag and the very light stubble left behind which will be more pronounced this afternoon and more than what I would have had I used a Kai, Nacet or Crystal.

Viking Sword (Shave #1): 8.5/10

For shave #2 I kept the Slim on 4, with an Arko stick.

This time I changed techniques and didn't try so hard. Still got the same results: Great above the jaw, lacking below. No irritation or weepers. The blade feels great during the shave, but just doesn't do well enough below my jaw line.

I am going to keep Viking in the Slim till it is done, then blade #2 will be in a different razor.

Viking’s Sword #2
Rockwell plate 3
Ever Ready 500
Proraso red puck

I did not do well with the lather making today. It was thin and watery compared to optimal normal. Or maybe I should be using a lot more water because I could barely tell that I had a blade in the razor.

The shave was smooth. Again the sharpness was less than the sharpest blades, but it was adequate. DFS, comfortable and no sting from the alum block

Viking Sword: Blade 1, Edge 1, Shave 2

Another 4/5 DFS/BBS Shave

Razor: Gillette Rocket HD (UK)
Brush: Simpson T2 synthetic (from Hannah's Dad in the auction)
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Splash: Thayer's Lavender Toner WH
Balm: OneBlade Black Tie PSB

I had my usual 3-pass+buffing shave. It was slightly smoother than yesterday, with no post-shave feedback from the alum block. No nicks, weepers, or post-shave irritation. It went a little smoother than yesterday. I'm not sure if that was because it was the second shave on that edge, or because the Rocket was heavier than the BET.

The result was basically the same as yesterday: BBS on my cheeks by the end of the second pass, and on most of my neck after the clean-up buffing. DFS in a couple of thumbnail-sized spots on my neck. This is the way it goes with almost all my shaves, regardless of the blade or the razor. So be prepared to be bored out of your skull as I continue to report the same. the differences seem to be mostly in how hard I have to work to get that shave, or in minor differences in irritation.

My continuing impression is that they're rather good. Tomorrow, I'll try them in a third razor, going back to the silvertip.

I think I have 52 (maybe 51?) on a GSB. I put a hash mark on the wrapper to keep track. If I'm not using that blade I just store it in the wrapper. Lol, if you are like me, the GSB will last a bit.

My GSB started to get rough this morning (16th shave). So I retired it. Tomorrow morning will be the 1st shave with a Shark Chrome. After that blade, I'll crack open one of Grundi's Israeli Viking Swords and experience that cultural mixing bowl.

Swinging The Legendary Viking's Sword Blade Not Once But Twice (Shaves #1 & #2)

TL;DR:
Very nice blade, good balance between smooth and sharp, won't displace my top tier blades

Equipment: Gillette Slim (on 4), GrayDog synthetic brush, and an el-cheapo salsa bowl

Soap/Cream: Tabac (shave #1) and Mem (shave #2)

Results: My experience is tracking like everyone else's. This blade takes a swipe or two to settles down but then produce decent shaves. Shaves #1 and #2 resulted in DFS shaves. I'm impressed with these blades, and they could definitely be in my regular rotation. I had just finished one of the new KCG blades, so the Viking's Sword Blade was up against top shelf competition. It's not quite up to the KCG (rebranded Gillitte Platinum Blade that came with the new Walgreen's Gillette Razor) but is a very good blade nonetheless.

Tonight I loaded the blade in one of my favorite slant razors - OC Valencia. Because this slant is one of my favorites, I know the feel of it and it's capabilities. WTG pass again was rough. Not as rough as last night, but definitely to the point where I could feel the blade when I shouldn't have with this slant. ATG pass again went well after slightly adjusting the angle, however there was enough stubble left over to require an XTG pass (which is never the case with this razor even using a blade that is ready to toss). I am not sure if I got a bad blade, or if it is the characteristics of the blade. I suspect that might be the blade itself because many others are having similar experiences. Tomorrow I have it loaded in my Henson razor which defines the angle and allows me to do a quarter turn to get more aggressive or mild. So far, out of @Grundi and @Space_Cadet blades PIFs, the Elios is still the best. :thumbsup:

As noted in my earlier post, I got a head-start with the Viking's Swords courtesy of a Christmas 2019 PIF by @Space_Cadet. So, I'd been using these blades, on and off, for several months (maybe ~70 shaves total). I have to say that the majority of reviews, so far, sound similar to my own experience: A sharper than average blade, yet smooth and comfortable in the right razor.

Like a few others have mentioned, the Viking's Sword matched extremely well with a Gillette Slim Adjustable set to a medium setting (4-6). Close and efficient, yet silky smooth. In more aggressive razors like the GC .84-P, the efficiency is very high, but you need to watch your technique or at least resist the temptation to buff a spot repeatedly. That's a sure-fire way to irritate your face. On the other end of the spectrum, a milder razor like an EJ DE89, Merkur 34C, RR Old Type, etc. offers a nice balance between closeness and comfort. It's hard to overdo it with a razor like that unless you're sloppy.

These blades really start to come into their own after two shaves, probably due to the coating wearing down and exposing the edges. I managed to get around eight (8) shaves from each blade: six (6) very good to excellent shaves, followed by two (2) reasonably good ones. Then, the performance drops off a cliff. The technique of putting a dulling blade into an aggressive razor did not revive these blades, at all.

My overall impression of these blades is favourable. They're generally smooth, sharper than average, and exhibit decent longevity. They're definitely among the upper end of mid-tier blades.

Despite that, I had gravitated away from the Viking Sword after discovering that the Gillette Perma-Sharp Super worked great in my FOCS. After that, every other blade fell by the wayside.

However, today, I decided to give it a try.

First shave with Viking's Sword blade #6 (or #7 or #8? I misplaced the other tuck and had to open a new one)

November 11
: A nice, comfortable shave.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Blade: Personna Viking's Sword
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

proxy.php

(Sorry about the blurry photo. Nerve damage acting up in the hand, today.)

From my daily shave journal: All three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were smooth and comfortable. I was keenly aware of the sharpness of the blade, but it did not feel rough or "bitey". Should get better after coating wears down. Regardless, an excellent shave, overall. No post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required.

Swinging The Legendary Viking's Sword Blade, Knocking Down Those Barbaric Fuzzies (Shaves #3)

TL;DR:
Changed it up, different razor, flipped the blade, best shave so far!

Equipment: Merkur 20C, Vinolia Shave Stick, GrayDog synthetic brush, and an el-cheapo salsa bowl

Trying A Different Swing: Switched out the Gillette Slim for the Merkur 20C and flipped the blade, just because

Results: This was the best shave of the three (DFS+), not orders of magnitude better, but definitely smoother, and I'm getting familiar with blade. Angle does help (or hinder) this blade. The blade continues to be smooth and sharp, no tugginess, but I did some irritation when I buffed a couple of my trouble spot; not bad irritation, just enough to let me know to stay vigilant. I don't know if flipping the blade contributed any of this, but it was something interesting that I could put in my 3rd shave review.

Top Bottom