What's new

Parker Platinum

Has anyone tried the Parker Platinum blades, besides me? I have used a couple, and they are a great blade, at least for me. These could be my everyday blade(Parker 91R razor), as they perform as good as Wilkinson Sword(G), at half the price of 100. Got a few more in the tuck to try, to make sure the quality is there..Just like to know if anyone has used this decent blade?

Here you go:

I have about 40 different types of blades and Parkers were a recent discovery for me. They are excellent and are likely in my top 10. Surprised they aren’t more popular.

I am surprised as most blades sold and branded by razor manufacturers are garbage IME. Merkur and Rockwell come to mind with Merkur possibly bring the worst blade available. Again, IME.

I have about 40 different types of blades and Parkers were a recent discovery for me. They are excellent and are likely in my top 10. Surprised they aren’t more popular.

I am surprised as most blades sold and branded by razor manufacturers are garbage IME. Merkur and Rockwell come to mind with Merkur possibly bring the worst blade available. Again, IME.
Like I said, they could be my everyday blade. I am going on shave #5 today with this blade. If it is a decent shave, my decision on a 100 blade purchase just got easier. I will finish out the tuck to be sure. Also, VDH blades are not too bad. Just that consistency from blade to blade gives them a bad rap. In a tuck of them, always got at least 1 bad blade. I used them for quite a few years. Got some decent shaves. The Parkers Platinums are quite a surprise to me, and for the price has me rethinking about buying 100 Wilkinson Swords(G), at least for now. Shaves are smooth, very audible though, and close enough for me, as I only do 1 pass WTG, with touch ups. I shave 6 days a week. My Parker 91R does a nice job with this blade, with no extra pressure. It is a heavy razor. I have been in a blade search since I got this razor, as I have collected quite a few blades while using my VDH razor, trying to get a closer shave, to no avail. Alway felt like I had to do second pass with that razor, no matter what blade I put in it, including Feathers. Always smooth shaving, just not close enough. The Parker took care of that...
20211221_185159.jpg

Most of the blades that come with "starter" razors tend to be somewhat dull. I guess the vendors are afraid that new shavers will cut themselves and blame it on the razor rather than their inexperience. Using less sharp blades is a way to minimize that. Thus, they come with blades such as Shark Chrome, Derby Extra, Ven der Hagen, Merkur and Rockwell that are on the less sharp end of the spectrum.

I did purchase a couple of razor that came with sharper blades. One was a Muhle R89 Grande blade which came with Muhle blades which were quite nice. I also purchased a Parker Semi-slant razor that came with the Parker blades referenced in this thread. They were both sharp and smooth. Since neither the Muhle or Parker razors tend to be considered "starter" razors, I guess they included sharper blades.

I have enough blades to last around 10 years, so I have not purchased either the Muhle or Parker blades in bulk.

I like your logic of the "starter" razors. Funny thing is, a lot of people never graduate from them, and don't know there is a lot more to be had from DE shaving. B+B is great place to explore all there is about DE shaving. I did. Blades were a big deal for me. Tried different blades in my VDH, and then found out I needed to move on from that razor, to get a truly close shave. Blades are so subjective to the individual user. What works great to some, might not be the case for others. Hence, the search down the "rabbit hole". The best blade, in the best razor, for each. Hopefully, my search has drawn to close. I am not a collector of razors. I have one to use everyday. Matching it with a good blade for multiple uses is about over. The Parker Platinum checks all the boxes at this time. Getting a great DFS...Also, I do "recruit" when the subject comes up. My son in law is interested in DE shaving, but is afraid to pull the trigger on a razor. I am going to set him up with my VDH, at the house, and walk him through a shave with it. If he buys his own razor, I will give a tuck of Parker blades, IF i pull the trigger on my 100 blade purchase of Parkers. On and on it goes...

I bought 100 of these in March 2020. I have about 30 left. I change them every 6 shaves. An excellent blade that goes well with my GC .84. I, too wonder why they're not more popular. I found them very consistent.

Yup! Good blade! Good all around performer, smooth, close, no irritation. I can get German Wilkie Swords for $1.19 a tuck, which I think is equivalent to the Parker, only sharper. The Parker blade is very audible in my Parker 91R razor, and I get 5 decent shaves from this blade. It could be my everyday blade if I could not get German Wilkies.

I tried one once from a freebie tuck I received with an order that I cannot remember. It was like most other platinum coated blades I’ve tried to date, acceptable but very meh.

Top Bottom