What's new

I Compare 14 Different Bay Rums

I find that Gabel’s bay rum lasts all day on me. To me it’s the next best bay rum to Ca Antilles Dominica Bay Rum. Pinaud bay rum is the original cauterizing aftershave. Smells great, but… wow.

When I first opened it, I wasn't too crazy about Chiseled Face Bay Rum, but I've been using it more and more and the scent is beginning to be enjoyable.

When I first opened it, I wasn't too crazy about Chiseled Face Bay Rum, but I've been using it more and more and the scent is beginning to be enjoyable.
What's the Chiseled Face Bay Rum like? I know it's more lime and ginger. Been looking for something similar to SCS Bay Rum with a Twist now that it's discontinued.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I find that Gabel’s bay rum lasts all day on me. To me it’s the next best bay rum to Ca Antilles Dominica Bay Rum. Pinaud bay rum is the original cauterizing aftershave. Smells great, but… wow.

I may have to try Gabel's. I have been looking for a bay rum with longevity. Bootlegger's smells divine but doesn't stick around too long.

The Pinaud’s lasts too. I like it, but it’s a different bay rum, more Christmas cookie like. The bay scent (pimenta racemosa) is there, but there’s a lot of other spices as well. The Gabel’s, too my nose, is more straightforward bay rum.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I may have to try Gabel's. I have been looking for a bay rum with longevity. Bootlegger's smells divine but doesn't stick around too long.

Good luck my friend. I would put the longevity of scent from Bootlegger’s against any other drugstore Bay Rum and even some Artisan ones.

But if you’re willing to fork over the extra cost, I’m sure there are some Artisan Bay Rums out there, who will put cologne strength essentials oils into their Bay Rums for you?

I hear B&M makes one with longevity?

This is the reason why we don’t see many ‘Bay Rum colognes’? Because bay rum is just a fleeting scent naturally. Fleeting is just part of its DNA we have to accept.

I too, once searched for a longer lasting bay rum many moons ago. But one can and will spend lots of money in this search to find what? Another bay rum that lasts only 3 minutes more? 5 minutes more?

I would like to suggest that If you like the scent of Bootlegger’s Original Bay Rum, or any Bay Rum for that matter, and want the scent to last longer thru out the day?

There’s two ways I accomplish this. I splash it on my face & neck and then dry my hands off on my t- shirt on my chest below my neck. I smell Bootlegger’s all day. Bay Rum lasts longer on cloth than it does skin.

The second thing one can easily do, is just carry around a small travel bottle and put more on.

All Bay Rums are fleeting in scent. But in saying this, all people’s perception of this is different? While you say Bootlegger’s doesn’t last very long there are others who think it lasts all day on them?

Heck, I have read members here who say, they can smell Superior 70 all day long? Wow! I can only smell Superior 70 for maybe 30 seconds?

Quite the range of scent perception yes? :)

Last edited:
Dominica was the only true BR I cared for, but it's long gone. Derby City was an excellent substitute, though it's not bay but bourbon. My favorite was Bey Shave tonic (anyone remember?), but that too has disappeared. What they had in common was the initial face feel and scent, which quickly dissipated, something that was a must for me.

My favorites were Dominica and Aubrey Spice Island if we are talking aftershaves. I still have some of each, but they are both long discontinued.

Recently I got a sample of the basic Captain's Choice AS and that is pretty good, but I don't like it quite as much as the other two. Nothing wrong with it though.

For cologne, I recommend Meehan/Bonny Doon Farm. It's a very pure BR scent, no spices per se.

Top Bottom