What's new

I Compare 14 Different Bay Rums

What are you thoughts on longevity ?

Ogallala is my favorite but just doesn't last on me more than 15-20 min. Vib last longer but doesn't have the aroma I like.

To be honest, I haven't even smelled the new Royall yet but other writers have been critical. For now I'm interested in unfamiliar brands - I did pick up a bottle of Captain's Choice which seems nice. There are a few others I intend to try, but it's hard to beat the cost effectiveness of Pinaud's VIBR. Anyone heard anything encouraging regarding the Dominica? It sounded like a winner.

As I recall, the views of Dominica are mostly positive.

That's what I've read too, but the island suffered some catastrophic blight on their bay leaves some time ago and their product virtually disappeared from store shelves. What little remained was jacked way up in price. I was looking for any good news from the island.

I was not aware of any blights down there but I'll certainly take your word for it. I surf around on at least a half dozen shaving sites but have never done any price comparisons and I'm pretty sure it's available.

Thanks paintflinger I was just on there after a Google search. Just for kicks I added 10 bottles to my cart and they went on so they apparently have plenty left.

Of the three I have..Clubman, DR Harris, and Superior 70 I only use one. Pinaud clubman is just better than the other 2

Thank you for doing this comparison! My wife snuck onto the forums when I was out hunting one weekend and found this thread, and wound up buying me two bottles of Barclay Crocker balm for Christmas as a result. They're both fantastic.

I've been using this write up as a guide to try out all the bay rum aftershaves on the market. Any chance we'll see one made for shaving soaps?

I've been using this write up as a guide to try out all the bay rum aftershaves on the market. Any chance we'll see one made for shaving soaps?

I can't answer that but there are several nice BR scented soaps on the market. I have Barrister & Mann, Los Angeles Shaving Soap Santa Monica, Captain's Choice and Colonel Conk (untried).

I can't answer that but there are several nice BR scented soaps on the market. I have Barrister & Mann, Los Angeles Shaving Soap Santa Monica, Captain's Choice and Colonel Conk (untried).

And out of those soaps which would you recommend? How do they compare to the aftershaves?

LOVE THIS POST! Bay rum is one of my top 3 fav scents! Ive only tried the clubman virgin islands and Captains choice (reg bay rum) but after reading this i'm ordering up the cat o'9 and Stephan also! While i'm here, any more opinions on the Lucky Tiger Bay Rum? I've only owned one other LT product, a horribly overpriced and inferior face wash.

LOVE THIS POST! Bay rum is one of my top 3 fav scents! Ive only tried the clubman virgin islands and Captains choice (reg bay rum) but after reading this i'm ordering up the cat o'9 and Stephan also! While i'm here, any more opinions on the Lucky Tiger Bay Rum? I've only owned one other LT product, a horribly overpriced and inferior face wash.
It's an average aftershave that smells nothing like bay rum. It's okay, just not a bay rum.

I had an AS that was JR Watkins bay rum some years back. I remember it was very nice. Not sure if it is still available. An online search turned up nothing. Came in a glass bottle. I should have kept the bottle.

Top Bottom