What's new

I Compare 14 Different Bay Rums

Shave newbie here on the fast track to enthusiast status. I signed onto B&B today about to request a Bay Rum 101 from the community, and here it was, totally set out for me in the most wonderful way, stickied and everything! BrookR1, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Shave newbie here on the fast track to enthusiast status. I signed onto B&B today about to request a Bay Rum 101 from the community, and here it was, totally set out for me in the most wonderful way, stickied and everything! BrookR1, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I don't think you could go wrong starting out with the Ogallala sampler. The Captain's Choice is also mighty nice.

I got the Bay Rum sampler from Gary's and wasn't very impressed with the individual scents as they smelled from the bottle. I finally got around to trying the Kramperts and the Co9t which once I got it on my face wasn't too bad. But it gave me an idea. I mixed 1 part Old Spice, 1 part Kramperts, 1 part co9t, and 1 part regular CC in one of the bottle that the VIBR was in, which I first dumped out.

I know it's not really a bay rum anymore, but man I love this mixture.

I'm so torn between the myriad of choices between all the bay rum aftershaves to choose from. Thinking of going with the Pinaud.

I got the Bay Rum sampler from Gary's and wasn't very impressed with the individual scents as they smelled from the bottle. I finally got around to trying the Kramperts and the Co9t which once I got it on my face wasn't too bad. But it gave me an idea. I mixed 1 part Old Spice, 1 part Kramperts, 1 part co9t, and 1 part regular CC in one of the bottle that the VIBR was in, which I first dumped out.

I know it's not really a bay rum anymore, but man I love this mixture.

Sounds intense.

Not sure if this was mentioned but I found a bottle on B/S/T of the Royall Bay Rhum and bought it. That should arrive this coming week and I'll post my thoughts on it.

In for descriptions/reviews of Royall.
I have BRAD, but still haven't gotten to everything in the first review or (what I most feel curious to know) Royall or St. John's.

I loved that Burt's Bees Balm, and Gilbert Henry balm (which has more woods in it). Splashes -- I'm all about Krampert's and the original Captain's.

Coincidentally, St. John's is the only BR I have a full bottle of, plus I have some of the balm. I like the scent but it smacks of cloves and dissipates too quickly. I only have a sample vial of Captain's Choice and that's in the batter's box.

It seems that people often chose one brand over another, often for life. For example, they chose Hellmann's/Best Foods Mayo over Kraft Miracle Whip or Ford over Chevy...

I grew up favoring Royall Bay Rhum over St. John's, but I was distressed to learn recently that the Royall products are being produced under license in the USA. Fortunately I still have a partial bottle of the Bermuda original as I've been using Pinaud as my low-cost option these past few years. All this talk of various Bay Rums has me interested in experimenting again so I'll be watching this thread closely.

Growing up I only remember ever having the Royall Lyme and I liked that. Just being produced in the USA doesn't necessarily​ mean the recent concoction is inferior to the original but you are the perfect candidate to tell us that.

To be honest, I haven't even smelled the new Royall yet but other writers have been critical. For now I'm interested in unfamiliar brands - I did pick up a bottle of Captain's Choice which seems nice. There are a few others I intend to try, but it's hard to beat the cost effectiveness of Pinaud's VIBR. Anyone heard anything encouraging regarding the Dominica? It sounded like a winner.

Ogallala is my favorite. Vibr is way not like any of the others. I ts alcohol that burns not the other stuff. I got rid if Vibr after trying some others. They are just not the same. The burn should be a heat buildup not an alcohol fire.

Top Bottom