What's new

P&G takes over Shulton old spice.it is end of an era !

Bad news for lovers of 'old spice' of shulton formulation..now p&g has taken over the license of old spice from its licensee MCPL india.. Now no more spice in our beloved Old Spice..

I did get a couple of bottles of AS and shave cream from India before all of this came down.

I guess I will just have to enjoy what I have while I wait for P&G to decide if they are going to screw up a good thing.

Thats wat P&G guys r good at..screwing all good things..ranging from switchover to pathetic cartridges frm amazing DE's or turing great scent like old spice into some floral water..

Remember, Avon Spicy was a clone of Shulton OS. There is still a lot if vintage Spicy out there and can be had cheap. I've got a lifetime supply stored up.

My latest bottle of OS from India arrived today, but instead of "Shulton Mfd by MCPL INDIA PVT LTD" as by previous India bottles read, this one says it is manufactured by Rubicon Formulations LTD and marketed by Proctor & Gamble in Mumbai. Now the Shulton/P&G controversy seems to have moved to India. I'll have to start a new round of experiments to see if India P&G OS is different from India Shulton!

this deal went though awhile back...there was a post or 2 on this...could mean the end for Indian OS creams..or...reformulation..

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The licensing of Old Spice in India has changed hands several times over the last decade or so. P&G refused to renew the license with the latest holder.
There's been no word that they intend to change any formulations. They state that they have seen a dramatic market share drop in sales in India and a lack of expansion in other product lines (which I would also find disturbing in the face of population increase combined with increased disposable income). That is the reason they have not renewed.
At this point there is no reason to believe they have any reason to change Old Spice.

In 1990 P&G purchased the Brand from Shulton. In 1993, Old Spice was manufactured and marketed by Marico Industries under license from P&G.
That license expired in 2002 and the license to manufacture and market Old Spice under the Shulton name was given to Menezes Cosmetics Private Ltd. by P&G
The license with Menezes expired in 2012, and P&G chose not to renew.

Last edited:
I have fresh bottles of both Shulton Indian OS and P&G India OS. I compared the two this morning, including putting one on left wrist and one on right wrist. I can tell no difference; I do not believe that there has been any reformulation, at least yet.

My money says someone will make this with their blessing or without. Remember, we are not talking about America but a foreign country where the rule of law is quite different and differently applied.

Glad to have purchased a few years of back up before things got lost. Pre-notification, one of the many values of forums!

Top Bottom