What's new

Overlooked/underappeciated cocktails

FWIW, I was at Disney's Port Orleans Resort about 6 weeks ago and thankfully the bartender knew how to make a Sazererac.

Just a few off the top of my head

Scofflaw Cocktail- a great bourbon cocktail, which is unusual as I don't generally think of bourbon as a base spirit in a cocktail. I love vermouth and bourbon as a pairing. When you add lemon, it just balances all the sweetness of the cocktail (as grenadine is in this drink as well).

Aviation- This is harder to find as Creme de Violette is an unusual liquor. However, when you make it or find someone who makes it well, it is just spectacular. Quite herbal, floral, and really refreshing. Love this in spring and summer.

And if you haven't dabbled with the Chartreueses (green or yellow), you really should give them a try. I'd probably start with a Last Word or a Bijou. This is a spirit that is truly unlike anything else you can find. Herbal to the max, with a hint of sweetness. Hell, I like green chartreuse with just soda water and Jack Rudy's tonic. Garnish with maraschino cherry.

For the rookie alky out there - Smith & Kearns. Kahlua, milk, and a splash of soda.

A real Marini, preferably Churchill's recipe. Pour gin & ice in a pitcher, glance, and not too long, at a bottle of Vermouth sitting across the room.

Roger Moore's recipe for a Martini is the one I enjoy.

Pour a half ounce of Vermouth into your glass, then swirl it round to coat the inside with the spirit before dumping it.
Add two ounces of your Gin of choice, as well as a nice olive (Onion? Dear Lord, no), and enjoy.

I can vouch for Aviations and Last Words. A whole lot easier to find Creme de Violette these days than it was a decade ago! I forget the history of the Last Word. The Aviation has a good prohibition or pre-prohibition backstory, as I recall.

Rob, I will let you know when it is done. I really need to try the gimlet before cooler wewther sets in so I can compare it later in the fall.

Rob, about that Ferrand curacao. I have been using Cointraeu in mai tais and I think originally Trader Vic called for curacao. But I don't think he specified a brand. I am pretty sure Cointreau is neutral spirit based but is curacao the same or rum based?

Tex, I am unsure if the two dominate the cordial or not. I will be finding out!
Trader Vic's original Mai Tai
Ingredients
  • 2 oz 17-year old J. Wray & Nephew Rum (now $50,000/bottle)
  • 1/4 oz French Garnier Orgeat Syrup
  • 1/2 oz Holland DeKuyper Orange Curaçao
  • 1/4 oz Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup
  • Juice from one fresh lime
  • 1 cup cubed ice
  • 1 cup shaved ice

I love those original Trader Vic's recipes. Oregeat is an interesting topic. I have been using Small Hands Orgeat Syrup. Not cheap. 1/4 seems a little light! Interesting that the recipe was so specific as to the brand of curacao.

Tequila and grapefruit marry well! I just got some Casamigos Blanco. I was impressed. Peppery.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A few days ago I tried some Tequila and grapefruit juice. Very refreshing.

Pretty much a Paloma, what the Mexican natives are drinking while all the pasty tourists are looking for Margaritas. Well, the most popular version of the Paloma is made with grapefruit soda, but why get hung up on such details? :001_cool:

<the most popular version of the Paloma is made with grapefruit soda, but why get hung up on such details>

True that. Usually Squirt, I assume. But I am not a big fan of Squirt! For that matter, I was thinking fresh rather than canned grapefruit juice. But you are right, why be hung up. I suppose I do prefer my tequila to be expensive and cheap mixers for that horrify me a little. :)

I would say that Paloma is definitely an overlooked and underappreciated cocktail. I think grapefruit is an underused cocktail ingredient.

I hesitate to say it. Mountain Dew is probably an underappreciated mixer. There was a time when I drank some MD and gin. Perhaps use Mexican MD.

Looking for Grapefruit cocktails? How about the trusty Italian Greyhound. Talk about a lovely, tall drink for the spring and summer. Grapefruit juice, vodka, compari (though I prefer aperol here), and a nice splash of soda water. Highball glass!

Also, I really enjoy homemade grapefruit syrup in lots of cocktails. Squeeze a number of large grapefruits, simmer off half the volume (please be careful not to boil, it'll burn and taste terrible), and then add granulated sugar 1:1 (volume).

Italian Greyhound sounds good. I am a little wary of cooking down grapefruit juice. Why not just use fresh juice? I suppose one could add zest to bring up the intensity.

The following cocktail was called something like a "Rochambeau" at Le Diplomate in Washington, DC, but I have seen in on-line as a "French tart." Vodka (say, 2 oz.), elderflower syrup or liqueur (Le Diplomate uses St. Germain, but I actually think a good elderflower syrup, like Darbo, is better; maybe 3/4 oz or less), lemon juice (maybe 3/4 oz maybe less), fresh rosemary muddled with the vodka or made into a simple syrup. Shake with ice and serve up. Garnish with rosemary stem or chopped rosemary floating on top.

On the theme of overlooked cocktails, I had a "Last Word" at a nice restaurant Saturday night. It was on their list of special cocktails. Per Tricky earlier post, a great cocktail. I had make these before and really liked them. But this seemed really nice. I think drinks taste better to me when someone else makes them!

@The Knize , I like syrups as you can make denser cocktails which works really nicely when you are trying to do something served up or stirred. I use juices in lots of stuff, but syrups are just another way to play around with new ideas :)

Also, if you like the Last Word, give this a try. The Final Ward: Bourbon instead of gin, yellow chartreuse instead of green, lemon juice instead of lime, maraschino liquor remains the same. Absolutely bang up!!

I also REALLY like the look of that "Rochambeau"!! Elderflower cocktails are some of my favorite! My personal favorite comes from a lovely little restaurant in New Orleans, called Bayona. The drink is called a Stormy Morning. Elderflower liquor, lime juice, creme de violette. Shake all this, pour in a highball glass with ice and top with sparkling wine. It's a beautiful pool side cocktail.

Top Bottom