What's new

Overlooked/underappeciated cocktails

This subject has probably been covered indirectly in other threads, but I though it might be a fun topic on its own.

What cocktails do we think are overlooked, underappreciated, ordered too infrequently, are perhaps unduly unknown? I am not sure I am framing this quite the way I want to. Something along the lines of a cocktail you have come across where you think "I can't believe I am just coming across this drink. I would think it would be wildly popular."

I can think of a number of drinks that would fit here, but my "designation" would be the Gin Rickey. Gin, lime juice, seltzer, and, perhaps optionally, sugar or sugar syrup, according to one's own tastes. Why would I nominate this drink? I like gin and tonics, and gin and tonics seem to be very popular. A fabulous drink for a hot summer day. But I find the tonic part of that drink sometimes a little too dominate as well as being too sweet. Similarly vodka and soda is reasonably popular, and a reasonably decent cocktail, but often a little characterless for my tastes, and I would think for other folks. Whereas a gin rickey is much more complex than a vodka soda, but does not have, or at least have to have, excessive sweetness, or flavor notes that can overly dominate the gin. Why overlooked/underappreciated? If I order a gin rickey at many bars, I have to tell them how to make it!

Thoughts on other drinks? (By the way, I would consider things like Aviations, Clover Club Cocktails, and a bunch of other arguably relatively obscure drinks, excellent, fun, and interesting, as well as not popular, but I would not consider them as likely candidates for major popularity! Maybe I am bound too much by my own tastes!

For me, it's the Old Fashioned. I make them at home quite often. I also order one after Wednesday night gofing league. I just tell the bartender I need a "fruit salad", and he knows exactly what I want.

American Leroy (google it).

I bet you've never had one.

Next time you are in a bar, order one and see how flummoxed the bar tender gets.

Ryan, I know of no place on earth that an old-fashioned is overlooked or underappreciated. A wonderful classic cocktail, although one that carries a nickname of "fruit salad" might give me pause.

Mick, I generally enjoy your posts, but an American Leroy sounds awful. I am not sure I want to be live in a world where that was a popular cocktail!

Ramos Gin Fizz. If I didn't work and didn't count calories, I would have one for breakfast every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Martini.

Not a James-Bond-y vodka thing. Not ‘dirty’, or chocolate, or ‘cran-tini’, or any other sort of mutation ...

Just good gin, olive, and a touch of vermouth. I will accept onion instead of olive, if you like.

... ordered at an establishment where all you have to do is say ‘martini’ and they know this is what you want.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I second the Daiquiri. Finding someone who knows what a real "Daiquiri" is like panning for gold in a swimming pool. Even the "mixologists" always have to do something to it. They can't seem to help themselves. They just cannot stop at rum, lime juice, and sugar or syrup.

It doesn't help that the "Hemingway Daiquiri," a different drink, is quite in fashion at the moment. Don't try to tell me that it's pretty much the same. A bartender recently tried to claim that it was. I ended that discussion when I asked him "if you ordered a whisky, and you got a glass of whisky with grapefruit juice and maraschino, would you have a problem with that?"

If you asked me a few years ago, I would've said the Negroni, but I see a bunch of places now offering them. That said, many places also have to do something to it, so perhaps I should stick with it. I sometimes get a bit of resistance when I ask for a classic Negroni without whatever twist they thought was so brilliant.

The others that quickly came to mind are the Rob Roy, the Robert Burns, and the Bobbie Burns. I often get little more than a head tilt when I ask for any of those.

Another is a Sazerac. Very few places seem to know how to make one, fewer have the absinthe to do so, and even fewer make a good one.

I second the original Martini. A quality gin that tastes like gin (Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth, Tanqueray are some good ones), a very dry Vermouth, some ice. Stir and serve in chilled Martini glasses with a pimento olive.

Last week I ordered one at a restaurant. It was too watered down and had little taste.

Another one that I enjoy is the Rob Roy. I like mine with a blended Scotch (2 ounces) and .25 ounce each of sweet and dry vermouth. Add a drop or two of bitters, mix with ice, and serve in chilled Martini glasses. I like mine garnished with one cherry.

I need to try the Ramos gin fizz and the corpse reviver no. 2. I am not personally fond of any Scotch-based cocktail I can think of. I guess a rusty nail is okay and I would expect it to be easily accessible to the general public. But I would really rather have a glass of single malt than a rusty nail.

I like the purity of a real daiquiri and a real martini, too. I think I would go along with the idea that these are overlooked and underappreciated.

Sazerac is another one I thought of that fits for what I was looking for.

I agree re Negroni. Once underappreciated, now mainstream.

If you like Negroni but want something a bit lighter during hot summer days, ask for an Americano

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

While not necessarily under appreciated, it is often overlooked. At least in proper form with egg white. The indomitable whiskey sour.

Brandy Old Fashioned. Odds are youve never had one or even heard of it if youve never been to Wisconsin but once youve had a Brandy Old Fashioned, you'll never want another one made with bourbon or whiskey.

I'm a big fan of Mudslides. (Similar to a White Russian.) I used to be able to find 1.75L bottles of pre-made mix at grocery stores. Kahlua and TGI Fridays both made versions. These are long gone, however, and now I have to make it myself. I did ask for one at a restaurant, a year or so ago, and the bartender did it perfectly. It's not a hard drink to make, but I was still happy, because I doubt many people ask for it.

Brandy Alexanders are good, too. I usually make them with just brandy and cream, but I picked up a bottle of creme de cacao a while back, and it completed the cocktail. I assume this is not a popular drink, but I don't really keep up with trends.

I think egg white as a cocktail ingredient is generally overlooked and underappreciated. I think on that grounds a real whiskey sour fits in this thread.

By the way, it occurs to me that a gin rickey is very close to a Tom Collins. Lime instead of lemon in the former and sugar or syrup is optional. So query: Has the Tom Collins become overlooked and underappreciated? I have not ordered or seen someone order a Tom Collins for a long time.

This weekend one of the individuals in our group ordered a Black Russian. I had not seen that one in quite a few years.

For the rookie alky out there - Smith & Kearns. Kahlua, milk, and a splash of soda.

A real Marini, preferably Churchill's recipe. Pour gin & ice in a pitcher, glance, and not too long, at a bottle of Vermouth sitting across the room.

A Daiquiri. <— Note that the word “frozen” is not in the last sentence.
+100.
All kinds of these classics that have gotten bastardized over the years: there are too many good bars to frequent those that can't make a proper cocktail.
- Martini. they used to be made with gin and vermouth, you know.
- Kir. Surprisingly refreshing on a hot afternoon.
- Amaro. Just a good splash of a bitter digestif to finish a good meal. Puts you right.

Top Bottom