What's new

Our little brush project ... How are we doing?

Love that third one. I love tall brushes. Man, these are just beautiful. You guys should really think about selling these, you do good work!!

Okay, next step!

The 'Muhle' in lacquer:

proxy.php

I think it is beautiful!

Then, my favorite, the little chubby:

proxy.php

A work of art, or shall we say Work of Aart (because that's the name of the man who made it)?
I cannot wait to put that one in my rotation!

The extended chubby, BobinCA's favorite:

proxy.php

... the 'Hommage a Semogue' in lacquer:

proxy.php

This one is a nice one to hold, the form provides a lot of comfortable grip.

and last but not least, our traditional one:

proxy.php

This one keeps getting better and better the more you look at it.
At first, I thought it was a bit too traditional, but now I think it has the right proportions.
My lil sis has made a claim on this, sadly ;-)

Keep you posted!

Last edited:
Love that third one. I love tall brushes. Man, these are just beautiful. You guys should really think about selling these, you do good work!!

Thank you, sir!

You probably will not see these at the B/S/T as I intend to keep 'm all to myself :tongue: Except the one we may or may not PIF to BobinCA, of course :wink:

But I agree, first results are better than expected, and I can tell from experience that these handles are fine. I have no experience with the knots from the Golden Nib, but I think they are OK at least (from what I learned on this great forum).

Next step: some serious gluing.
Thanks to mr Rudy Vey who kindly helped us out, we know what to do now so we are up to the tough decision of fixing those knots in the upcoming days!

Keep you posted!

This time a post from the guy holding the chisel.
(Design work is mostly done by Wim)

Based on some suggestion I created a new knob and this time I used plywood (we ran out of mahogany and oak. ;-)
I am going to post 3 photos i have taken during the fabrication of this knob.

Unfortunately i can not show this knob with a brush since it requires a 20 mm brush which we do not have :-(

First picture is the knob stil fitted in the lathe.
Second is taken after the first layer of lacquer
The latest picture is the current status. For your info I am in doubt wether I will give the knob one more layer of lacquer or leave it as is.

Greetings Aart

Here is the latest photo, lacquer is still a bit wet. As you kan see it is still connected to the bolt I use during painting.

Our or maybe its better to say my next project will be more a gimmick rather than a usefull knob.

As soon as it is finished I (or Wim) will keep you posted

Beautiful work!

Like BobinCA, I am particularly impressed by the "extended chubby." That thing is gorgeous.

You should give some thought to making a few more of those and selling them on the B/S/T.:w00t:

Great work guys. I particularly like the mahogany "traditional" design;very tasteful.

The two in oak are much more contemporary to me and look very interesting.

Keep us updated on future designs.

Great work guys. I particularly like the mahogany "traditional" design;very tasteful.

The two in oak are much more contemporary to me and look very interesting.

Keep us updated on future designs. :thumbup1:

Gentlemen,

Our first brushes are ready.
After a lot of sanding, polishing and lacquering and (thanks to the kind and expert advice here on B&B) gluing, we finalized two brushes: the little chubby and the Semogue inspired one.

Here they are:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A couple of knots are underway from Tony at the Golden Nib, so next week we will try to finish some other brushes.

I'll keep you posted!

Nice job on the turning and the lacquer finish well it speaks for itself. I`m sure the knots will work fine with the handles as well, I particularly like the last handle with the rounded end, interesting shape. Thanks for sharing your photos. Stephen.

very nice. for some reason i'm drawn to the sphere-handled oak one... now i want to try making my own!!!

anyone have a lathe i could borrow.....

You know how you get really thirsty when you know that there is nothing to drink? Well, that's how I feel here, seeing these brushes and knowing that I can not have one. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!! They are so nice! Guess I need to learn to do this and make my own. CRAP! Another project to start.

Wim forgot to mention that we have been on the hunt for some interesting wood samples at the Amsterdam Fijnhout company. We have acquired som mahogany but more interesting an american type of wood of which I don't know the english name. Since its rather expensive wood I decided to turn some examples to choose from.

The wether has been good enough (I use the lathe outside because of wooddust isn't to healthy and i don't want it in my garage) so I have been turning some new models.

The wood I used is most likely to be merbau (in dutch). It has been used in a garden and tossed aside for some time. Because of its history the wood isn't flawless, there are some cracks and nail holes to be filled after turning. Nevertheless I am very content with the endresult.

At this moment the lacquer is drying (first layer) as soon as its dry enough I will post a few pictures.

Regards Aart

Top Bottom