• Hey Guest. We are currently doing lots and lots of work on the forum software. Please be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Thanks!

Otoko Organics and King of Shaves oil - my new favorite shave

I recently bought my father a tub of Otoko Organics wet shave essentials for fathers day (it was today here in Aus - there's a thread about it :biggrin1:) and, since I have wanted to try it for a while, I got myself one too.

Having heard a few good things about using a pre-shave oil I picked up a bottle of King of Shaves shave oil the other week (not specifically a preshave I don't think but it was cheap and there when I went to the shops so...).

I have combined the two for 4 shaves so far and I think I've found my daily shave combination for the forseeable future... great shaves every day.

The Otoko loads like a dream (seriously 4 or 5 swirls with a very slightly damp brush and I am set for 3+ passes) and lathers fairly easily in my bowl (my bowl is too big and nothing lathers particularly well in it). The lather is not 'peaky' when I apply it but it has a very viscous, soapy, texture which I like; perhaps even more than I like an airy 'whipped cream' lather ... it's also slick as all get-out (ably assisted by a small application of KoS oil beforehand).

Even with average (OK nil) preparation and an unfamiliar blade (Leon Superior) I get no irritation and barely need an A/S because my skin is so moisturised and soft-feeling (no soapy drying effect here).

The Otoko has a slight jojoba scent, very much on the 'plant' side of things (smells like I would expect a bunch of squished up plants to smell, very noticeable vegetable undertones ... I love it but perhaps not everyone's cup of tea). It is fortunate that the Otoko has a scent because the KoS oil smells like a lemon/lime/kerosene mix ... nasty.

My only complaint is that the oil seems to cause my shavings to coagulate on the blade (easily fixed with regular rinsing ... which I do anyway out of a habitual throwback to my cartridge days) and also congeal on the side of the sink on the waterline (I shave over a sink full of warm water). Neither of these drawbacks are significant enough to outweigh the slickness and protection this combo is giving me right now.

I'm normally a 'shave every other day' guy but I have shaved 3 days in a row now with the Otoko and KoS setup and I see no reason to stop.

If you're so inclined, do yourself a favor and give it a whirl :thumbup:.