What's new

Opinions on extreme cold and firearms

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
There is a new M&P model 38 Bodyguard, But I'm unsure about the exposed hammer aspect and whether it can be c0cked in a single action mode.

Looks like it’s DAO only and the cylinder release is curiously placed at the top of the frame instead of the side.

I think If I were to get a snubbie, for pocket carry, I would gravitate more towards a 9mm. I would love to get a S&W 642 or 442 in 9mm? Is that not possible?

If not, looks like it would have to be a Ruger LCR instead. 9mm for a small, hammer shrouded 5 shot revolver would make the most sense for me.

1. 9mm easier and cheaper to find.
2. Could exist as a back up gun to a larger 9mm semi auto.
3. Moon clips for faster reloads.
4. Shorter case for faster extraction during reloads.
5. 9mm more potent and efficient then .38. I know this is debatable…. For some. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I like the 9 mm revolver concept, but that LCR is FUGLY. It may be a great gun. It seems S&W has done limited edition 9 mm revolvers in the past? I wonder how costly a custom conversion would be?

OkieStubble

I like the 9 mm revolver concept, but that LCR is FUGLY. It may be a great gun. It seems S&W has done limited edition 9 mm revolvers in the past? I wonder how costly a custom conversion would be?

Gotta want a snubbie revolver really bad for a custom conversion? :)

The Ruger LCR is pretty fugly, but it’s sweat proof for deep concealment and it’s all business looks and polymer frame means scratching denting and dinging doesn’t matter.

Perfect for a bang around beater gun that no one is ever going to see until the chips or down. It’s the Glock of revolvers.

Fits my personality pretty well I think. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They also make of for the G43X- need to see if I can fit that in my pocket and when I get home. Cargo pants shouldn’t be a problem, not sure about the jeans.
The 43X will fit in jeans, but is a booger to draw. A standard 43 would probably work, but I think I will stick with a wheel gun for the pocket.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think I’ve changed my mind a bit in the Airweight. I see guys bigger than I saying +P can get a bit painful after 10 rounds our so. Think I may go 640- it is all steel. It’s chambered for .357, but I’ll never shoot that out of it. The extra 8 ounces will help with the +P, and 22 oz isn’t that heavy. It is 1/4 inch longer, but that shouldn’t be an issue. Another problem I have been thinking about is the aluminum frame and steel cylinder. It may take thousand of rounds, but the steel is going to wear on the aluminum.

I have and carry a few different aluminum framed snub models. Grip design and hand fitment goes a long way when it comes to recoil management. Will an aluminum frame stretch? Possibly if you feed it a steady diet of +P rounds. For example, Colt recommend a gunsmith frame check after 1000 rounds of +P ammo in post 1972 aluminum framed D frames. Nothing was said about pre-72 guns because +P ammo wasn't around then. I wouldn't let possible wear and tear dissuade me from a carry gun. Wear it out? Buy another one.

I have the exact same models with steel frames and aluminum frames. I carry the aluminum. The steel live in the gunsafe.

OkieStubble

I think I’ve changed my mind a bit in the Airweight. I see guys bigger than I saying +P can get a bit painful after 10 rounds our so. Think I may go 640- it is all steel. It’s chambered for .357, but I’ll never shoot that out of it. The extra 8 ounces will help with the +P, and 22 oz isn’t that heavy. It is 1/4 inch longer, but that shouldn’t be an issue. Another problem I have been thinking about is the aluminum frame and steel cylinder. It may take thousand of rounds, but the steel is going to wear on the aluminum.

9mm out of a snubbie is a good middle ground when it comes to power and recoil somewhere between a .38 and .357, but where? :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can verify that the Airweight is uncomfortable to shoot. That can be mitigated somewhat by choice of grips, but the more comfortable it is, the bulkier it is. A nice comfy rubbery grip hangs up on clothing and prints more for concealment. If I'm going to shoot more than a few rounds through mine, I'll slip a Hogue sleeve over the grips and later remove it after the practice session is over. My particular Airweight is not +P rated; newer ones are. But I carry 110 gr. +P rounds in it. For practice, I shoot 125 gr. moderate handloads in it. I personally would never carry 158 gr. FBI loads in it, YMMV. I have resolved to carry it with slim, slick grips for CCW. The comfort is in carrying it, not shooting it.

OkieStubble

I can verify that the Airweight is uncomfortable to shoot. That can be mitigated somewhat by choice of grips, but the more comfortable it is, the bulkier it is. A nice comfy rubbery grip hangs up on clothing and prints more for concealment. If I'm going to shoot more than a few rounds through mine, I'll slip a Hogue sleeve over the grips and later remove it after the practice session is over. My particular Airweight is not +P rated; newer ones are. But I carry 110 gr. +P rounds in it. For practice, I shoot 125 gr. moderate handloads in it. I personally would never carry 158 gr. FBI loads in it, YMMV. I have resolved to carry it with slim, slick grips for CCW. The comfort is in carrying it, not shooting it.

If used in an actual self defense situation, you won’t notice how abusive and uncomfortable it was to shoot until after; and that’s ok.

After is good.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think it is a potential mistake to confuse the role of a defensive weapon with that of a comfortable range toy/target gun or plinker. I have larger and heavier guns for range use. The snubby has a specialized role to play and even the best of those fall short as an all-purpose firearm.

There's nothing worse on a snub than a big rubber grip for more than one reason.

A sleek but old school set up that works to fill up the hand and keep your middle finger out of the well behind the trigger guard, where it gets beat up, is a Tyler T-Grip.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_1439 (1).JPG

I hear ya!

OkieStubble

9mm is sounding better and better…. :)

1672596372228.jpeg

1. Pinned front sight. Easily changed for aftermarket

2. Comes with 3 Moon Clips

3. Hogue rubber grip for sucking up recoil

4. Trigger design allows for a long but smoother trigger pull compared to most other hammer shrouded snubbie revolvers.

5. Protected ejection rod from being recessed in barrel lug instead of exposed like S&W’s 642.

1672596886386.jpeg

What’s not too love? :)

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think it is a potential mistake to confuse the role of a defensive weapon with that of a comfortable range toy/target gun or plinker. I have larger and heavier guns for range use. The snubby has a specialized role to play and even the best of those fall short as an all-purpose firearm.
True, but I need it to be comfortable for 20 rounds from time to time. Most of my range shooting is target ammo, but I like to shoot a box of it from time to time so I know what to expect from it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can fire 20 rounds without much problem of moderate reloads, more if need be. I did participate in a snubby revolver class at a tactical conference some years ago, probably less than 100 rounds, doable but not comfortable. But full power +P is another thing. The afore mentioned Hogue sleeve or a padded shooting glove should be sufficient for limited full power loads. You don't have to fire a full box of defensive ammo through a revolver in order to know what to expect. Unlike a semi-auto pistol, you don't really need to function test a large quantity of defensive ammo to insure reliability. YMMV.

I'm sure an all-steel gun would be more comfortable to shoot any quantity through. My affinity for the Airweight is for its ease of carry with the Barami hip grip IWB without a holster. In this particular mode of carry, I think an additional 8 oz. would be significant. Now if a holster was used, probably the extra weight would not be such an issue.

The Barami hip grip is apparently out of production, but NOS examples are available on the 'bay. A substitute is the Desantis Clip Grip, does essentially the same thing and eliminates the need for the Tyler T-grip. I have no personal experience with it, but reviews are generally positive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom