What's new

Opinions on extreme cold and firearms

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I NEVER enter my church w/o my weapon. That and our schools are such soft targets I grow eyes in the back of my head when I go in them. Sad days.
Our church is one of these mega-churches. While I hate to rely on someone else for my security, there is almost always a high-profile sheriff's office security detail present. Not that that would deter a suicidal maniac, but then a small pocket pistol would be marginal in that circumstance as well. But you never know.

I was thinking about extreme cold carry, and people talking about ability to carry larger guns undetected due to heavier clothing. The heavier clothing will make it harder to draw such a weapon, so do a pocket pistol should be easier to draw.
:c1: I carry a 19/34 AIWB, occasionally. With a winter coat, I could add a Sig Fire Control Unit, 2 30 round mags and a 250 SC in a pocket!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Our church is one of these mega-churches. While I hate to rely on someone else for my security, there is almost always a high-profile sheriff's office security detail present. Not that that would deter a suicidal maniac, but then a small pocket pistol would be marginal in that circumstance as well. But you never know.
I wish this was the case here. I hope I don't make it sound like my town is crime riddled (did I use that werd right?) because it's not, just the usual small town stuff, bored teenager stuff. But we did have a baby dumped in a ditch this summer. Domestic disturbance stuff.

It always saddens me that folks think they gotta get cleaned up on the inside before they visit a church for the first time. He came for the sick. You solve the crime problems individually on the inside and then the folks are less likely to do the crime. Sad humans we are.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Trying to find a purposed holster for coat pocket carry is the challenge. A holster that preferably stays behind in the pocket after the pistol is drawn.

My Ruger LCP II has a hammer, but it sits partially cocked, very much like a striker fired pistol. It doesn’t take much for the trigger to pull the small hammer the rest of the way to the rear.

I might need to invest in a 5 shot snubbing revolver.
I was thinking of getting a S&W Airweight one day, anyway. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Something smaller/lighter than your SP101?

It’s been a couple of decades or more since I had a snubbie. I used to own a Taurus model 85. I wouldn’t mind having a small Colt Detective or S&W Chiefs or an Airweight model as Owen suggested.

Yep, it’s time to get me a lil’ .38 Special. :)
I have a lcp ii and a 642 snubbie. Both pocket carry. The 642 is in a rubberized soft pocket holster that is pretty traditional. Works good in jeans. The lcp ii is in an Alabama kydex holster that has a thumb tab to push it off easy. I think Vedder does something similar. In any case, the Bama Holster is a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Great in any reasonable, empty pocket in my opinion. I even sent mine in for an adjustment for free. I would get one of them for my 642 if I carried it in a coat pocket.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I really like my S&W Airweight Bodyguard, a joy to carry, but not so much to shoot even with reduced loads. I carry it almost exclusively IWB with the Barami hip grips, but I do have a Kramer pocket holster that is part kydex, part leather. It also has the thumb push off feature. It is actually designed for hip pocket carry as opposed to front pocket carry but would probably do fine in a jacket pocket. I use it mostly to keep the J frame in while it is in my nightstand drawer to keep the trigger covered as it stays loaded.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It’s been a couple of decades or more since I had a snubbie. I used to own a Taurus model 85. I wouldn’t mind having a small Colt Detective or S&W Chiefs or an Airweight model as Owen suggested.
When I bought the G43X I almost bought the Airweight they had instead. The availability of .38 ammo at the time was dicey, so I went with the Glock. Since things are easing up, I’ll probably add a 642 this year.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I really like my S&W Airweight Bodyguard, a joy to carry, but not so much to shoot even with reduced loads. I carry it almost exclusively IWB with the Barami hip grips, but I do have a Kramer pocket holster that is part kydex, part leather. It also has the thumb push off feature. It is actually designed for hip pocket carry as opposed to front pocket carry but would probably do fine in a jacket pocket. I use it mostly to keep the J frame in while it is in my nightstand drawer to keep the trigger covered as it stays loaded.

Thumb 'push off' feature?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thumb 'push off' feature?
If you look at the revolver model, it is more prominent. The scabbard extends further to the rear than needed to protect the sight track. You push against it with the thumb and the holster tends to stay in the pocket and not come out with the gun.
FD649DC7-315A-4C14-BBD3-C2612C48A7DD.jpeg
B436B5FD-73EB-4A63-8939-82705F12B958.jpeg
DCD005C5-1F54-47C5-9525-50DCBC6D36C3.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Weird. The work firewall wouldn’t allow me to get to that site, but allows Privateer Leather. No problem- just turned off the WiFi for a few minutes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Weird. The work firewall wouldn’t allow me to get to that site, but allows Privateer Leather. No problem- just turned off the WiFi for a few minutes.
They also make of for the G43X- need to see if I can fit that in my pocket and when I get home. Cargo pants shouldn’t be a problem, not sure about the jeans.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is a new M&P model 38 Bodyguard, But I'm unsure about the exposed hammer aspect and whether it can be c0cked in a single action mode.

Top Bottom