What's new

Open Your Storage: Oldest Soap

Old soap? Gross. Who would use that stuff?

I mean I have a few vintage Williams Mug soap pucks, but they're not that old...

And there is that one 19th century Williams shave stick, but I mixed that with a new speick stick, so that doesn't count.

There is that one Cussons Imperial leather shaving stick, but I just got that because I bought the bakelite shaving kit and it was inside one of the travel tubes

Oh and that wood-boxed Torrey Shaving stick

And the Wrisley Saddle Club

Oh a couple of vintage bowls from the Rooney shave kit(not pictured)

And I might have three different era Colgate shaving sticks

And an Arway shaving stick

And a tube of Hess Shaving soap

And a puck of Surrey Shaving soap

Oh and I've got a couple shave bowls with no brand marking, and a half dozen shave bowl refills with no markings, a couple old spice and barbershop pucks

Oh, and maybe one pro-phy-lac-tic bowl

And perhaps a Luxor bowl and a Tawn bowl

And maybe one Yardley bowl

Oh and an ambassador bowl

And a buckingham lavender soap bowl

And maybe 4 or 5 Williams Currier and Ive's bowls

But that's it.

Oh yeah and that Resinol Medicated shaving stick from 1906...

but other than that, just fresh soaps for me.

IMG_3442.JPG

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I still use vintage Yardley that comes from the early sixties. Not much scent but the performance is stellar. And then I use also some very old Old Spice, also a great soap. Plus there is also Trumper's Rose from the 80's with tallow and Pen's EF. I do not use them very often as they cannot be replaced anymore, so they get a few uses per year.
There were a lot of great soaps out in the good ole days, too bad many are gone or have changed to the newer non-tallow version, like the the three T's and Pen's and Floris.....

Everyone is cheating because those soaps from for example pre WWII are (presumably) not ones they have bought personally.

Mine is a can of Nivea shave gel which I got personally back in 1995 or maybe 1997. Used it a little while ago and it works just fine, but you can see why soaps are superior. Also have a tube of C&E WIL which I got when it first came out, so probably 2007 or so.

Yes, obviously that's true, excuse me while I hide my TARDIS behind a pile of vintage soap.

My oldest soap I bought new is a Kell's arabian spice tin... 11 years?

R

romsitsa

The oldest useable soap was a Rotbart stick from the 30-ies, was perfectly fine. Currently have a VEB Rosodont Florena, form the 50-ies. It also looks useable.

Adam

An old Musgo Real Shaving stick.

After that it's a few odds and sods from when i started wetshaving back in 2007. Trumpers Rose, tabac, are a couple that come to mind.

Theres some text remnants... can you make them out?

Maybe this era puck? 71-82

Attachments

• vintage-williams-mug-shaving-soap_1_36fa6c28ec9e0f3fa73655e28ec8a02f.jpg
    vintage-williams-mug-shaving-soap_1_36fa6c28ec9e0f3fa73655e28ec8a02f.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The oldest useable soap was a Rotbart stick from the 30-ies, was perfectly fine. Currently have a VEB Rosodont Florena, form the 50-ies. It also looks useable.

Adam
Oh, I haven't heard VEB for many years... :c1:
For the non-Germans here: VEB stands for Volkseigener Betrieb, or in English: People's owned Company - a typical eastern German term prior to the Re-unification in 1989....

My oldest soap is an approx 70 year unopened Old Spice in mug. I wrote about it here
I also have a roll of vintage colgate barber soap which may actually be older.
I havent used any of these yet.
The oldest modern soap i still have and have been using is an out of production puck of
Barrister & Man Vetiver, Heather & Clary Sage which i really love and a puck of B&M Solstice. Both from maybe 2014 i think.

Oh i have been using an old spice soap from the 1970s and a williams puck from their anniversary edition 1975/76.

Oldest I have by a long shot. I think I poked around to date this when I bought it, glastonbury CT puts it 60’s min, artwork on the box probably puts it somewhat older.

2EB5FC34-3801-45FD-BEF1-6DEED6B19B5A.jpeg
5C2473CB-CA24-4D22-895F-55147BD62172.jpeg
B2EF5E91-6B13-4143-AEA8-E0682B5005AC.jpeg

Top Bottom