What's new

Open Combs: They weren't for me

Open comb razors? Kind of weird looking, almost like little Cthulu razors, old tentacle looking things.

I admit to an irrational bad first impression when it comes to open combs. I only reinforced this when I tried shaving with a NEW when I was just starting in with DE shaving.

That thing bit me! Little nasty slices under the nose, entire dermal layers removed around the chin, weepers, nicks and frustration. The application of Clubman Bay Rum after this ordeal only confirmed what I had suspected - Open Combs are the spawn of the underworld, rightly cast aside when men started shaving while upright with those nice, gentle Techs and Super Speeds.

Yes, I kept a few around, for the same reason you might keep a candlestick phone in your office. They were a quaint contrast to the more civilized safety bar beauties I actually used.

Guys like Asylum Guido would extol the virtues of Old types, Cooncatbob would take this musty whisker rakes and make them works of art, but they weren't my cup of tea.

But you got a razor, just sitting there, and you have to shave with it, don't you? So I put a blade in a Senator (open comb, but TTO, so it's kind of not too creepy) and gave it a shot.

Wow, what a difference six months makes! Somehow, just sitting on a shelf, that Senator had developed the ability to deliver a great, bloodless BBS shave!

Skeptical, I decided to give a Bostonian a whirl. Same thing, in only a few months, it had developed amazing shaving characteristics!

Even the dreaded NEW now shaves like a dream. I'm looking forward to trying an ABC Pocket Edition I picked up by mistake.

If I didn't know better, I'd almost say my technique starting out wasn't up to the task of managing an open comb, and safety bar razors were acting like training wheels, protecting me from my own sloppy shaving.

Since that's not possible, what could it be?

It's called muscle memory. Takes awhile to educate. If you can handle the Bostonian you should be able to handle anything. Have fun.

Len

Very cool that all those old pieces "got in line", "cleaned up their act" and plainly got better at what they do. Must've been the way you trained 'em :wink:.

Last edited:
Muscle memory? Balderdash.

It has to be hardware related. Maybe the water got softer where I live...:confused:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Your probably using a different shave soap:lol:

Either that, or the layer of dust on the open combs provides extra lubrication.:lol:

It's funny, I love my Tuckaway, but I must admit I have to handle it carefully otherwise it "bites" me hehe.
Anyway, because is one of the few razors that still gives me a bit of work to shave with, today I gave it another try.
I did, as never before 2 WTG and 1 XTG with a Feather blade. No nicks, no irritation and pretty much no stinging when I splashed my Old Spice (original of course)

Anyway, I think open combs are great, they just need a bit of cre while you develop your techinque.

I'm glad you're also experiencing nice shaves with them.

It's called muscle memory. Takes awhile to educate. If you can handle the Bostonian you should be able to handle anything. Have fun.

Len

It's true. Despite irritation free, nick free post shave feelings, the New Improveds giver the lousiest feeling during the shave. Very rough beasts

Top Bottom