What's new

Open Comb March

Today I used a version of an Ever-Ready razor that I've never seen anywhere else, so I'd be interested to know more about it if anyone has any ideas. The head is identical to a 1912 but the handle is made from aluminum. It came in a nice plastic case and was manufactured in England. The aluminum handle has some nice machining on it as well, giving it a pleasant and firm grip.

I'm guessing from the case that this razor is from either the mid-1950s or early 1960s. Aluminum might have been used in the handle because (1) it made the razor look more modern, or (2) Great Britain was in a period of austerity or financial crisis, and so aluminum was used to save money. Alternatively, it could have been in the years after World War II when brass might have been more scarce or rationed than aluminum.

Anyway it was a great shave. I first had trouble using the razor because it was too light in comparison to my other Gems. Once I learned to press down more firmly everything was fine.

View attachment 153218

Last edited:
Or it could be a frankenrazor. The handle may have come from a Star DE razor. It does look nice.

I hadn't thought of that, but I don't believe that to be true in this case. The head of the razor itself looks mint without any scratching, and we all know how difficult it is to find a GEM/E-R in that condition. All my other razors with mint heads were supposedly NOS and still had the tags on them. Second, the razor and case came in the cardboard shipper, which to me would indicate that it was never used or very lightly used.

I haven't checked in here since I started with OC March but I've been using my OC MM each day with great results. The last couple of shaves I've had have been the elusive BBS using a Gem SS/PFTE-coated blade from the last group buy. I've gotta go the OC route more often!

I haven't checked in here since I started with OC March but I've been using my OC MM each day with great results. The last couple of shaves I've had have been the elusive BBS using a Gem SS/PFTE-coated blade from the last group buy. I've gotta go the OC route more often!

I believe the Open Comb MicroMatic to have been the pinnacle of ASR's design and enginering of Single Edge Razors.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I hadn't thought of that, but I don't believe that to be true in this case. The head of the razor itself looks mint without any scratching, and we all know how difficult it is to find a GEM/E-R in that condition. All my other razors with mint heads were supposedly NOS and still had the tags on them. Second, the razor and case came in the cardboard shipper, which to me would indicate that it was never used or very lightly used.

Definitely looks like a 50's-60's vintage case style Tim - nice looking piece!

garyg

The end of our March is in sight & realized that I better get shaving if I am to complete the circuit before April Fool's .. yesterday I used an "old" style modern Muhle, I think the Model # is 99R(?). An aggressive shaver that results in a very close shave with a fresh Feather.

Today was the last shave with the New and the Feather. Another great shave. Another BBS shave. :w00t:

Tomorrow? The Chrome Open Comb MicroMatic with the Group Buy Pela Blade.

To liven things up, I used a Chrome Open Comb MicroMatic instead of the brass one. Coupled it with a Ted Pella blade and BBS! I've already been Faceturbating and my FB status says it all. OCMM FTW :thumbup:

Only seven more open comb March shaves to go. The guys at razor blades and more tossed in some complimentary Dorco single edge blades. I'm not a big fan of Dorco blades. But with the lack of SE blade selection I've decided to give them a try. Now which razor to use?

Edit: I went with my OCMM and the Dorco SE blade. What a horror of a blade. It tugged, it pulled, it irritated. The only thing it didn't do was cut whiskers. Oh burn baby, burn.

Last edited:

garyg

Whoa, I almost forgot the Open SE's ... will be casting this one as today's Star, but with a modern blade .. there's probably not enough time left in March to get that chip out of the Kampfe blade with the little hand stropper attachment. :001_rolle

March will be coming to and end soon, but my OC shaves will not !

Im an SE OC shaver regardless of month, but to spice things up I think for the shave on 3-31, I will use my great grandfathers 1924 G New standard.
Im not expecting a jaw dropping result but will be fun nonetheless

Last shave with the Minuteman for March. I think this blade got pushed to about two weeks of shaving, so the last couple of shaves have been a little bit more rough than I expected- DFS with a touch of irritation.

Back to the MMOC next week! What's the special shave for April?

proxy.php

Needless to say BBS. :thumbup:

Top Bottom