What's new

Open Comb March

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
For St. Paddy's .. hardly original but a nice shave
proxy.php

So it turns out the 1914 I thought I had is the 1924 Shovelhead in a cool travel case. It's still too light...I need CCB travel handle to give it a bit more weight.

Still pulling 2 pass near BBS shaves from my Gillette Old Type on a BRW Improved handle. Today I used an Astra SP blade and had a fantastic shave. This razor works so well, it is my only DE any more.

Here's my shave of the day with my new 1909 Single Ring.

The year 1909 was interesting in that Teddy Roosevelt was still President until March 4th of that year. When Willian Howard Taft was inaugurated, Roosevelt promptly left on his famous African Hunt where he killed, among other things, 17 lions, 11 elephants and 20 rhinoceros. Of particular B&B interest, Taft was the last President to have facial hair. Lastly, the Lincoln penny was introduced that year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

View attachment 152033

Last edited:
Today was another great shave with the razor. It can get me a two pass BBS shave. :thumbup:

I think we should do an Open Comb month more often.

Lou, what was the verdict on closed-comb Gems? Are they included or do we need to have a month of closed combs?

I'm not sure why this must be an either/or question?

My opinion is based on my understanding that since normally the closed part of the comb is not making contact, for all intents and purposes it can be treated as an open comb.

So, I say, we can use them AND have a month of GEM SE's.

I was thinking SeptGEMber, or maybe during the time when the Zodiac is in the constellation GEMini.

So far I have been rotating between my Bob's Razor Works, Gillette New Improved, and a razor I cant mention by name, because for some unknown reason we are not able to separate the razor from the vendor.

I have used all three razors with the following blades and have been rewarded with excellent shaves. Red IP's, Treet Clasic, Voskhod, Brazil Wilkenson Sword, a couple of Gillette Thin Blade (NOS). I am really enjoying open comb March. In fact I am enjoying it so much I may not go back to straight bar DE's.

Mike

Shave 6 with the Gillette Open Comb and a Green 7 O'Clock blade. Two pass BBS shave.

I have enjoyed shaving so much with this razor, that I am extending it for another week, but this time with a Feather blade.

Just received my Merkur Classic 1904 Open Comb today in honor of Open Comb March, look forward to my first shave with this "little engine that could"...

Tonight was:

Joris (shave #2 - getting better with it already)
Pre de Provence
Restored Old Spice brush w/ TGN 22mm Finest fan shape knot
Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns

Sorry I don't have a pic this time. The camera's battery is currently wiped out.

Tonight was:

Joris (shave #2 - getting better with it already)
Pre de Provence
Restored Old Spice brush w/ TGN 22mm Finest fan shape knot
Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns

Sorry I don't have a pic this time. The camera's battery is currently wiped out.

Just curious, and sorry if you mentioned it before, but what blade did you use?

Just curious, and sorry if you mentioned it before, but what blade did you use?

Sorry about that. I don't think I said. I'm a RIP guy. I'm working through 100 of them, and I've never disliked them in a razor. Their first shave is a little rough, but I guess that's normal for a lot of blades.

First shave with the Feather Blade in this razor, same one I have been using all week.

Super Smooth, almost no irritation, and just a slight blood loss. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom