What's new

Open Comb March

Since I ALWAYS use an open comb I thought I would switch it around and use a different OC today rather than my Old Type Bull Mastiff.
I used a Bar Handled NEW loaded with a SuperMax Super Platinum blade and the shave was nice and smooth but because of the weight difference between the NEW and my Bull Mastiff Old I used a bit too much pressure under my chin and got some irritation.
Wp

I just got home after being away and in my mailbox I find a prize from Bob. I ordered the open comb New with the improved handle. I shaved with it as soon as I got in the house. Its my first open comb, I need practice on my neck. Just a couple of nicks. The rest of the shave was great. The razor felt great in my hand, I like the well built feel. Great job Bob.

I used my Henckels Rapide today with a Gem blade on shave number two. BBS in two passes with the usual touch ups.

This razor shouts quality craftsmanship in design, construction and finish. What a great tool.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave Number 3 with the Chrome OCMM and the Pella Blade; the first with the Eagle G3.

Outstanding shave. Nine hours later and still BBS.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
After a couple days using the Open Comb Micromatic and the Star, I see the end of the March is in sight. I saved my favorite Open Combs to finish off the month, today this over sized fellow did the duty. The Semogue LE bears my number from high school :001_rolle and assisted in a great shave along with a Feather & Tabac

I'm bringing out my original OC razors for the end of the month.

First up is the NEW Improved, armed with a Rapira Platinum blade. Excellent shave. This razor hasn't seen much love lately, that's going to change.

This open comb thing may have to continue past March.
I did a 2 pass with my Bostonian and an astra. My best 2 pass combo so far.:thumbup1:

I fell off the open comb wagon over the weekend. I got scraped up pretty week by the tuckaway in week 2, and had to take a week off of shaving to let the cuts heal. Then came back to the sheraton for a couple shaves (pretty good ones, too) and then to the bulldogs for a couple shaves (love those bulldogs!), but over the weekend I wanted a really close shave, and I picked up the fatboy, threw in a souplex blade and felt like I was home again. Had another fatboy shave this morning -- also great. So I think I'm done with open-comb march. It was fun, and put 5 razors into my rotation, but it's done. UNCLE!
-- Chet

That Streamline is beautiful.

The MMOC is back in the fold. She gave me a few love-bites since I've left her alone for a couple of weeks with the Minuteman and Shovelhead. Gonna have to take my time and get reacquainted with it.

P

Pjotr

My Ever-Ready Streamline finally arrived from the UK. It took 26 days. The shot is as I received it. Lots of cleanup required. But I HAD to use this razor today.

Popped in my 3 or 4 day old Gem blade, did my usual prep an used Mama Bears Phoenix Rising soap, damn good stuff.

This razor is heavy. No I mean heavy. It shaves like a OCMM, it's nice and loud as is chops away. Two passes, touchups, I'm done. Did I mention this razor is HEAVY?

Built like a tank. No wonder ASR lost the war time contract to Gillette. With the metals saved on creating razors like this you could kit out an entire division! Didn't know it was classified as an open comb. Am I opening old wounds here?

Built like a tank. No wonder ASR lost the war time contract to Gillette. With the metals saved on creating razors like this you could kit out an entire division! Didn't know it was classified as an open comb. Am I opening old wounds here?

That's why I used that picture. Harder to tell what it is. No way was I going to miss shaving with it today.

Really, I never even gave it a thought!

I moved the pst to what razor an blade did you use. Mia coppa

Last edited:
Put an Asco blade in my NEW Improved and got a BBS and no irritation, what's not to like?

Tomorrow I'll bring out my bar-handle NEW, my first OC. Back to my roots :thumbup1:

After yesterdays slip up with the Ever-Ready Streamline, I returned to an open comb razor, choosing my newly acquired and newly replated in silver, 1916 Gillette Aristocrat. I used the last of my Personna DE blades I bought at Walmart, some Proraso menthol eucalypytus shaving cream and a Semogue 840 boar brush. Shaving paradise and a DFS.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning:

New-to-the-home 1917 flare-tip Aristocrat
Derby blade
No-name brush
Seaforth soap
D.R. Harris Pink A/S

Excellent shave. Really nice.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Only two more open combs left in the March, today I decided to let the Big Dog eat ... Bull Mastiff XL with Short Combed New head by Cooncat Bob .. lather by B&B ..

Great Photos everyone.

The OCMM is giving great, smooth, close, long lasting shaves.

Even now, no shadow and still smooth.

I think we will have to do this more often.

Top Bottom