What's new

Open Comb March 2013 Is Here!

Wanted to start out "open comb" month right, so bought one of the clearance Cadet TP-02's at Shave-a-Buck for $15.00. In the meantime I'll need to use one of my vintage Gillette open combs.

I was just on travel and took a Tech kit with me. I was missing my open comb New. Did Gillette make a travel kit/tech set in open comb?

$2013-03-03 09.50.13.jpg

Used my first OC on the first of March - an Old type ball end.

$QH03MhN.jpg

I've been using it ever since! Just bought an OC new yesterday as well.

Shave #2 (yesterday);

Sheraton
Astra SP(2)
Restored No Name butterscotch with TGN Finest
La Toja shave stick/cream superlather
St Lucia Bay Rum

Shave #3 (today)

1936 OC Aristocrat
Astra SP (3)
SOC two band
Cella
Barbasol Pacific Rush

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Late Sunday, having been on a short trip to the auld sod .. the Brothers Henkel are pretty open .. I used a modern blade, that old wedge is beyond my sharpening skills .. still a good shave, the folks I was visiting were nonplussed though when it was found on the shared bathroom counter ..

$IMG_6075.JPG

Im ashamed to say this, but i totally forgot about this >_< My first shave was with my gillette new....this one i used my flair tip >_<

BUT! From now on itll be open comb :laugh:

Couldn't have been easier for me as the LC NEW was already up in the rotation; I'll just keep it going for the month. A number of blades that will work well, but I usually pair it with a 7 o'clock Blue.

Happy shaving
Dave

I had a great shave this morning with my Cadet OC w/ UFO Kaiser Short stainless steel handle and a Gillette Silver Blue blade:

$DSCN5620.jpg

The Cadet OC for me is a somewhat aggressive, but smooth shaver. I get very similar results with this razor as I do with my Mekur 37c slant. ALOT of removal in the first pass.... but very smooth and little irratation.

Ben

So far I've shaved twice in March, both have been with a RR Little Bastone and a Lab Blue blade. Soap was Klar Klassic lathered with an Omega Black Badger brush.

Another good shave with a Fatip. Got a Gillette New and Ikon OC Bulldog on the way.....and also a handle for the Fatip!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
More modern Monday Muhle .. recent OC Fatip type head loaded with a Feather, using MdC whipped up with an old MadeRite brush

$IMG_6087.JPG

I purchased a gold tone Gillette (not sure of the model number) circa 1930's on Ebay, for next to nothing. Today was the first shave with a Derby blade and the rest you see there. I understand the appeal. But being used to the anvil weighted Merkur 43c, the lighter weight takes some getting used to. I am considering filling the handle with lead weights. But still an aggressively smooth shave. I Like It!
$Open_Comb_Omega.jpg

1930 Probak razor
Feather blade
T&H rose shaving cream

Very close, comfortable shave. Compared to the New Gillette razors of around the same time, it seems very competitive IME. New razors are always more aggressive for me - maybe just a little too heavy or maybe I've just never been able to adjust my technique to them. However, the Probak does a really commendable job with providing a close shave without any irritation. (Using contemporary blades may make them more equal in performance, but I'm not that interested in historical accuracy. :biggrin1: )

Top Bottom